Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drive to germany

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Having checked the German ministry of transport site; there is no specific fine for not having a first aid kit... and none of their fines are as low as €5 either.

Not having headlight convertors would be classed as a defective vehicle, fine of €75 for the owner. And considering this is something which can be seen just by someone passing at night/lighting up hours, its extremely easy to get caught for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

i called the insurance company. im covered for up to 1month without notice. 90days with notice. So thats sorted.

Am i better off to take a ferry from dublin to mainland or dublin to uk to mainland via tunnle

I've checked the timings on it (planning a trip to Holland myself atm), and realistically its faster to go via the UK, either tunnel or fast-craft ferry.

You also have less 'wrong side' driving if coming from Calais/Sangatte than Cherbourg or Roscoff.

im 18 and been driving for just over a year so the whole driving on the right hand side thing doesnt scare me much. I did drive a rental car last year for a bit when on holiday with parents. Dad tried got scared ****less when it came to turns etc. so i ended up driving the whole time. only issue now is when im driving on the wrong side the steering whell is on the wrong side so there will be a bigger blind spot and harder to see around some corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Bring a good dictionary/phrase book!!

Incase you are stopped, it may indeed come in handy, or even for buying food its handy to know whats going to be got!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

2Shae wrote: »
    i called the insurance company. im covered for up to 1month without notice. 90days with notice. So thats sorted.

Am i better off to take a ferry from dublin to mainland or dublin to uk to mainland via tunnle

Ferry direct from Ireland -> France is more relaxing, have a few beers and a good sleep.

If time is an issue going across the UK is definetly quicker !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

craichoe wrote: »
    Ferry direct from Ireland -> France is more relaxing, have a few beers and a good sleep.

If time is an issue going across the UK is definetly quicker !

Double the price and double the time. Normal people need not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm thinking of doing a road trip down to Monaco in the Summer, via England, France, Belgium, Germany and Switzerland, so thanks for all the info.

Double the price and double the time. Normal people need not apply.

Nah thats not true, works out about the same and depends on where your Going UK way you end up going from Harwich to Hoek Van Holland, takes 6 hours, or you can go via the Chunnel which takes 30 minutes but adds a good hour to your Journey.

I've taken them all, the only thing that would put me off going from south of Ireland is Irish Ferries, they sucks ... really old boats .. rattly with small cabins.

Stena and DFDS are MILES better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

As a matter of interest is it illegal for european cars to come over here and drive without adjusting their headlights? Funny how the there seems to be a huge list of requirements needed for driving in europe that seem well above any here...

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest is it illegal for european cars to come over here and drive without adjusting their headlights? Funny how the there seems to be a huge list of requirements needed for driving in europe that seem well above any here...

I don't think its a legal requirement here, no...

We don't require any safety gear either other than a warning triangle on vehicles over 3.5T.

MYOB wrote: »

We don't require any safety gear either other than a warning triangle on vehicles over 3.5T.

Well if its good enough for driving here then its good enough for the continent.

Well if its good enough for driving here then its good enough for the continent.

Theres a major difference - whats within the laws for driving here is NOT usually within the laws for driving on the continent. Theres a reason why we have historically had obscenely high road death and injury figures compared to other European countries despite them having faster or unlimited in parts road speed limits.

We used to let people who'd never passed a test drive unaccompanied - even ignoring the people who got given amnesty licences; we allow a higher drink drive limit; our driving test is stupidly easy, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

MYOB wrote: »

Thats crazy isn't it?
    The roads here can be dangerous enough, you'd think some sort of safety gear should be required other than a warning triangle on vehicles over 3.5 t!

Because they didn't. Do you have issues with trust or somethign? We told the cop that but he didn't care. His parting words, in English.

'A little souvenir from Wittenberg'.
    I actually featured at the same spot on German cops back in August. I've been searching for the video but cannot source it anywhere.

To be fair i've heard of no such fine and i Live and work in Nordrhein Westfalen, lowest i've seen is 40 euros for a parking ticket.

In extreme cases if a car is unroadworthy (Blown light bulb or a regulatory infraction that cannot be rectified at the roadside) the cars been towed away at their expense.

RE: The Rosslare route, Its a different story when your from Cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Interesting thread, I've got several European roadtrips planned for the summer...

come on dont start a riot. now i know i this is going to be a long route. would i be better off taking the early 2am ferry to hollyhead, which arrives at 5, have a short sleep in the car. drive to eurotrain. then get to mainland, then take a break in calais? or will i have a good bit of time in uk on my hands? (i want the cheapest fares so that usualy means leaving late at nite)

come on dont start a riot. now i know i this is going to be a long route. would i be better off taking the early 2am ferry to hollyhead, which arrives at 5, have a short sleep in the car. drive to eurotrain. then get to mainland, then take a break in calais? or will i have a good bit of time in uk on my hands? (i want the cheapest fares so that usualy means leaving late at nite)

For the savings I wouldn't say its worth it. What i did was get the 11am swift ferry and then headed straight to Dover. Got near there about 7pm and stayed in a nice little town. Got my ferry in the morning at 10 and was in Germany in 3 hours. Fairly relaxing with not too much driving in one day. I much prefer driving myself than sitting around anway.

Fair enough. Cork, what is this mysterious land you speak of?

MODEDIT
    insulting & massive pic removed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Move Your Oversized Bum away from the keyboard. You've said enough.

so have you, come back tomorrow

• Advertisement

For the savings I wouldn't say its worth it. What i did was get the 11am swift ferry and then headed straight to Dover. Got near there about 7pm and stayed in a nice little town. Got my ferry in the morning at 10 and was in Germany in 3 hours. Fairly relaxing with not too much driving in one day. I much prefer driving myself than sitting around anway.

how come you got the ferry instead of the eurotrain?

Mod announcment

Thread cleaned up, several ueseless bickering and trollish posts deleted.

now discuss this mannerly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

peasant wrote: »
    To drive a German registered car you need the Fahrzeugschein (which is a smaller copy of the Fahrzeugbrief) at all times.

As this is nothing like the VLC (contains a lot more info) I wouldn't bother bringing the original (and risk losing it) ...a copy will do.

I think his car is Irish registered though. The reason I mentioned the FZB is because I was asked for it as a proof of ownership/title when I was stopped by the police, in Germany. If you don't have it, they will simply check the VIN on the car to see if it is reported stolen and check your driving license and passport against Frontex, again, as far as my experience taught me after 25 mins on the side of an autobahn, having been travelling under the 130kph limit, no breathlyser, etc., it was a check for stolen vehicles.

Easiest solution: carry the VLC. It is proof of ownership and has that translated into a few different langauges on the front.
    Bringing a copy of the VLC is only so that you've got "something to show" just in case, as German police are accustomed to getting handed all sorts of paperwork in case of a routine inspection. Your VLC has no real legal standing in Germany...why bring the original?

It's not "something to show" - it's the proof that you own the car. Likewise, if you get a V5 after buying a car from the UK, it's not just "something to show".

Pete4779 wrote: »
    Easiest solution: carry the VLC. It is proof of ownership and has that translated into a few different langauges on the front.

It's not "something to show" - it's the proof that you own the car. Likewise, if you get a V5 after buying a car from the UK, it's not just "something to show".

You are, of course, correct. However :D ...in 15 years of daily driving on German roads I have never encountered a stolen vehicle check. You were very unfortunate there. In any other scenario a copy will do just fine ...especially as the OP isn't the owner of the vehicle anyway (if I remember correctly). That's why I mentioned the written authorisation from the owner earlier.

So is there anything else i should know about driving in the mainland? i hope to have a german friend come along with me for the trip. So i should be ok when it comes to cops etc. i have a little french, but not much.
    Its going to be a long mostly sober 2 weeks lol.

So is there anything else i should know about driving in the mainland? i hope to have a german friend come along with me for the trip. So i should be ok when it comes to cops etc. i have a little french, but not much.
    Its going to be a long mostly sober 2 weeks lol.

Every cop i've spoken to in Northern France, Belgium, The Netherlands and Northern germany all speak english.

ok, little bit of a change of topic.
    What should i go see while im on mainland europe?
    fun and cool things please :)

ok, little bit of a change of topic.
    What should i go see while im on mainland europe?
    fun and cool things please :)

'tis a big place that, mainland Europe, even Germany for that matter.
    Can you narrow down the area a little?

well along my route to and from germany it would be nice to have something to do to strech my legs and have a bit of fun. i intend to go ravensburg to meet my friend. No plans after that.

• Advertisement

Well ...if you're coming from Calais going towards southern Germany, you'll be driving right past the Nuerburgring for starters :D (and Hockenheim, but that's not open to the public)

Advertisement