Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamps and cooker "burning", what could it be?

Options
  • 05-01-2009 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I recently had a strange issue in my home and I'd like to get your opinion about it. On saturday I tried to switch on the lights on the extractor fan (2 halogen spot bulbs), and they suddenly flashed (the fuse which protects them died as well). :(
    Fortunately, the extractor fan itself is still working.

I thought it was just bad luck, but yesterday, when preparing a meal, the ceramic hob burned down as well and the safety switch connected to cooker/oven went off (smoke came out from the corner where the LEDs are positioned. I checked under it, and all 5 LEDs are burned). :(:(

Yesterday afternoon I switched on the light in the kitchen and one of the four halogen bulbs flashed and died as well. The last casualty was yesterday night, when another of the bulbs in the kitchen died in a flash.

At the moment all of these "deaths" are located in the kitchen, but I'm thinking it's just a coincidence. Of course I'm calling an electrician to have a look at the whole system, but I'd like to hear your opinions about this. What could the cause be? :confused:
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lb163

This could be caused by a voltage surge but it is best to get a qualified electrician out to have a look. In fact a full inspection & test of your installation would be a good idea.
    Liam ex- RECI Inspector

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yeah it does sound like a voltage issue alright, are the halogen lights in the kitchen 220Vac or 12 Vac?

Stoner, they could be either, if it is a voltage problem you should be careful with you TV and fridge because it could cause serious problems to them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Stoner: Halogens are all 220V (both extractor fan and kitchen lamp).

lb163: I'm also kind of worried about fridge and TV, even if they seem to be unaffected at the moment. Most important, I have PCs at home and they are VERY important, but I connected them to an extension with a surge protector, just in case.

Just a curiosity, since I'm not an expert: is it easy for an electrician to find these kind of anomalies? Also, in case the circuit is prone to spikes/surges, how difficult would be to fix it? Since I have the issue, at least I'd like to find out more about it. Thanks. :)

Daigo75,
    It could be hard enough for an electrician to track down this problem, he could arrive and carry out tests and everything could look ok, a fault like this is not always present so the best way of going about it maybe would to fit a voltage recorder on the installation.
    Over all surge/lightning protection could be fitted to your main MCB board, this units look like mcbs, very importantant for computer/electronics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

daigo75 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I recently had a strange issue in my home and I'd like to get your opinion about it. On saturday I tried to switch on the lights on the extractor fan (2 halogen spot bulbs), and they suddenly flashed (the fuse which protects them died as well). :(
    Fortunately, the extractor fan itself is still working.

I thought it was just bad luck, but yesterday, when preparing a meal, the ceramic hob burned down as well and the safety switch connected to cooker/oven went off (smoke came out from the corner where the LEDs are positioned. I checked under it, and all 5 LEDs are burned). :(:(

Yesterday afternoon I switched on the light in the kitchen and one of the four halogen bulbs flashed and died as well. The last casualty was yesterday night, when another of the bulbs in the kitchen died in a flash.

At the moment all of these "deaths" are located in the kitchen, but I'm thinking it's just a coincidence. Of course I'm calling an electrician to have a look at the whole system, but I'd like to hear your opinions about this. What could the cause be? :confused:
    Thanks.

"I tried to switch on the lights on the extractor fan (2 halogen spot bulbs), and they suddenly flashed (the fuse which protects them died as well). :(
    Fortunately, the extractor fan itself is still working."

Which fuse blew when the lights went on the extractor fan?

"(smoke came out from the corner where the LEDs are positioned. I checked under it, and all 5 LEDs are burned)"

If you like take a digital pic of the damage and post here, and we'll have a look.

lb163 wrote: »
    Daigo75,
    It could be hard enough for an electrician to track down this problem, he could arrive and carry out tests and everything could look ok, a fault like this is not always present so the best way of going about it maybe would to fit a voltage recorder on the installation.
    Over all surge/lightning protection could be fitted to your main MCB board, this units look like mcbs, very importantant for computer/electronics

Based on the above description it would be very hard to rule anything in or anything out at this point in time. It would be point less fitting any sort of protection, until a root cause is found.

The extractor fan & cooker would be on different circuits, so if there is a voltage "surge" the whole house would have to be seeing it. Hence my question would be has anything else failed in any other part of the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

As said fit surge protection at fusebox and at tv and computer sockets .measure voltage and check for voltage drop under load and test installation before fitting a recorder

The best way to sort this out is get your electrical contractor in to do an overall check of the installation to eliminate other possible causes then do a voltage recording say over 24 hours.
    I would reccommend that all electrical installations would be fitted with surge/lightning protection anyway to protect electronic equipment. You could get a lightning stike or surge at anytime, an ESB transformer could blow and cause a surge and cause a lot of damage.

Which fuse blew when the lights went on the extractor fan?

It's a fuse that is connected to the lights only. There's a box attached to the fan, where the cables for the lights start from. It's also a pain in the *** to find a replacement one, it's very small with no inscriptions on it.

Unfortunately I can't take pictures of the damage, as it's not really clear from outside. I tried to remove the bottom panel from the cooker to see if I could figure out what was wrong, but when I noticed the "toasted" corner I closed the panel without touching anything. Better to avoid frying myself as well. :rolleyes:

Based on the above description it would be very hard to rule anything in or anything out at this point in time. It would be point less fitting any sort of protection, until a root cause is found.

The extractor fan & cooker would be on different circuits, so if there is a voltage "surge" the whole house would have to be seeing it. Hence my question would be has anything else failed in any other part of the house?

I didn't have any problem in any other part of the house, so far, everything happened in the kitchen. This makes the issue more "mysterious", but I hope it will be fixed before I lose my PCs or other equipment.

The best way to sort this out is get your electrical contractor in to do an overall check of the installation to eliminate other possible causes then do a voltage recording say over 24 hours.
    I would reccommend that all electrical installations would be fitted with surge/lightning protection anyway to protect electronic equipment. You could get a lightning stike or surge at anytime, an ESB transformer could blow and cause a surge and cause a lot of damage.

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately the house is not mine and I cannot decide the extent of the intervention, however I will insist to get everything tested. Just a question: you wrote I would reccommend that all electrical installations would be fitted with surge/lightning protection anyway to protect electronic equipment.. What does this imply, technically? Is it something that can be done on the main board, or does it have to be done on every socket?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

You can fit surge/lightning protection at main board to cover complet installation. It is not a requirment of the electrical regulations to do so but it may be in the near future, any way it makes good sence to do so

You can fit surge/lightning protection at main board to cover complet installation. It is not a requirment of the electrical regulations to do so but it may be in the near future, any way it makes good sence to do so

Thanks. I will ask the electrician to fit that protection, since the circuit seems to be quite old. :)

Its best to fit both to protect pcs etc as you can get surges in-house

davelerave wrote: »
    Its best to fit both to protect pcs etc as you can get surges in-house

Thanks davelerave. I have a surge/spike protector extension for my PCs and I'm going to buy one for the PC/DVD area. I hope other appliances, like oven, fridge, lamps and so on are less "sensitive", once the main protection has been fitted on the main board. :)

Guys, your not even sure if it is a voltage surge... Surge protection will have a limited life span, it can only take so many hits, so if there is a problem this will only mask it.

Voltage surges do happen, but are much more likely in industry where large loads are being switched... They tend not to happen as often in a domestic setting.

If the voltage "surge" was large enough to damage the halogen light bulbs, why was no other bulb in the house damaged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Guys, your not even sure if it is a voltage surge
    I would have to agree with DublinDilbert.

It may well be a surge, you can not be sure.

I would suggest to go and talk to the neighbours and see if anyone else has this problem or similar. If others living near you (posssibly fed from the same traffo) have this problem it may be up to ESB Networks to fix!

This exercise will cost you nothing, and whatever you learn from it you can tell the electrician when he/she turns up.

Voltage surges do happen, but are much more likely in industry where large loads are being switched... They tend not to happen as often in a domestic setting.

If the voltage "surge" was large enough to damage the halogen light bulbs, why was no other bulb in the house damaged?

This is a good point. I don't know what's the resistance of halogen bulbs against surges, but I agree it's strange that no other bulb was affected. Maybe they're wired to a separate circuit, but I'm just guessing.

Fishdog: I had a chat with a neighbour yesterday, it seems that this issue never happened to him or his nearest neighbour. However, the house where I live is relatively far from the others and has a big pole in a corner of the garden, where there's a big "cylinder" (sorry, I don't know how to call it) connected to electricity cables, so I guess the supply is different. Maybe I can contact ESB and ask them, it won't cost me a lot. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I dont think weve been advocating surge protection alone if you read the posts

Diago75, It sounds from the description of your ESB supply that you are on your own transformer, have you had any problems in the past with bulbs blowing more often than they should. The fact that this has happened only in the kitchen makes it less like a voltage surge

Diago75, It sounds from the description of your ESB supply that you are on your own transformer, have you had any problems in the past with bulbs blowing more often than they should. The fact that this has happened only in the kitchen makes it less like a voltage surge

I can't really say, I moved in no more than 2 weeks ago. I'll try to contact previous tenant and see what he says.

By the way, one thing just came to my mind... Maybe could be related to my problem. Outside the house I have some halogen 500W floodlights, the same model as this one:
    http://tinyurl.com/8vff92

One of them is not working, so I wanted to replace the bulb, but I noticed something strange: the bulb inside the lamp is broken in a half, and the front glass is shattered. Probably I'm now exaggerating, but is it possible that the bulb "exploded" and broke the front glass as well? I know for sure that incandescent bulbs can't do so much damage, but I have no idea about powerful halogen (please don't kill me if I wrote something stupid :)).

• Advertisement

I dont think weve been advocating surge protection alone if you read the posts
    I know, although as you said this may be the problem. It was the first thing I thought of.

The fact that this has happened only in the kitchen makes it less like a voltage surge
    It may be the case that the lights in the kitchen use lamps that are more sensitive to excess voltage.

For example I have found that GU10 lamps blow much easier than most other lamps.

Out of interest are the lamps in your kitchen different to the ones in the rest of the house??

fishdog wrote: »
    Out of interest are the lamps in your kitchen different to the ones in the rest of the house??

Yes. In the kitchen I have four GU10 spotlights on the ceiling (one of them is LED, previous tenant replaced it), the extractor fan had two halogen spotlights with an Edison screw (never seen them before). In the rest of the house I just have plain incandescent and, very soon, CFL bulbs (hoping they won't explode as well, they're quite expensive). :)

Yes. In the kitchen I have four GU10 spotlights on the ceiling
    Ok as the others pointed out before it may be caused by a surge, but this is at best only a guess. It seems a little more like this is the case now as several lamps have blown and only the ones most susceptible to over voltage have blown.

The ESB can attach a machine to your supply that will monitor your voltage and draw a graph of the supply voltage over a few days to determine if the voltage you are being supplied with is within tollerance. I dont know the procedure for getting this test done but I would guess that it will only be done with the reccomendation of the electrician that checks the place out for you. I have not seen this done, but have heard about it.

The ESB must guarantee a certain quality of electrical supply. It must always be within defined tollerances of voltage and frequency etc.

daigo75 wrote: »
    I had a chat with a neighbour yesterday, it seems that this issue never happened to him or his nearest neighbour. However, the house where I live is relatively far from the others and has a big pole in a corner of the garden, where there's a big "cylinder" (sorry, I don't know how to call it) connected to electricity cables, so I guess the supply is different. Maybe I can contact ESB and ask them, it won't cost me a lot. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Ok now we are getting places....

Is there any large motors around?? eg heat pump or milking machine etc?

It might be worth getting one of them voltage / energy monitors and keeping an eye on the mains voltage, they are only about €14 http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343

The problem with putting in surge protection is that its like a band-aid, it doesn't fix the problem and can only take so many surges before needing to be replaced.... surge protection isn't a bad idea, but in this case would just mask an underlying problem...

Ok now we are getting places....

Is there any large motors around?? eg heat pump or milking machine etc?

It might be worth getting one of them voltage / energy monitors and keeping an eye on the mains voltage, they are only about €14 http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343

The problem with putting in surge protection is that its like a band-aid, it doesn't fix the problem and can only take so many surges before needing to be replaced.... surge protection isn't a bad idea, but in this case would just mask an underlying problem...

Sure its a bad idea to shove in a surge diverter and walk away .its part of an overall solution

Hi again. To thank all the people who gave me suggestions I thought to write an update about the issue. First, previous tenant had a similar issue (halogen bulbs bursting) and he had to replace some of them in few months. As I suspected, he didn't think of a bigger problem behind that and just kept replacing bulbs. ESB will now send somebody to install a recorder to check if there's any issue with the supply.
    About the questions: I live in the countryside and there's a farm not so far away, but, as I wrote, I think I have a separate transformer for the house (the famous "pole" in the garden". Anyway, the electrician will check internal cabling and ESB the supply, I think somebody will spot the issue, finally. :)

Thank you all for your help.

Daigo75,
    It would be interesting to know what the outcome will be so maybe you might do a post to tell me what the problem was.

Good Luck and I hope it will not be expensive

Of course, I'll keep you informed.
    I hope it will be solved soon because I can't install the new cooker until the issue is there, I don't want to burn that one as well. ;)

• Advertisement

ESB will now send somebody to install a recorder to check if there's any issue with the supply.
    I thought they might alright!

How did you arrange this?? Was it just by phoning them and describing the problem??

You may be looking at a new ESB traffo.

Good luck with it!!

Advertisement