Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone - Driving Test Route

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Looking for info on any routes that are used for the driving test in Athlone.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Have you got your date yet - do you know which crowd you are doing the test with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

This is from when i got mine. Did it with SGS during which time the bypass had the 50KMPH limit...

Once on the road i was grand - we went from Kilmartins up the bypass (at 50KM/HR very frustrating), took a left at the Ballymahon Rd exit and onto the Regional SC Roundabout turning right there.

Did a hill start between the speed bumps on the Arcadia Road just shy of the roundabout. Went straight on past Bnq and then left into the council estate (clonbrusk anyone?) Did the 3 point turn (in 7 turns but still faultless!) and headed back towards town via Coosan Tavern direction. Took a left just shy of the fire station and straight on past first junction. Thats where i did the reverse round corner. Again faultless.

Finally i went back towards the stop sign that is on the end of that road, took left towards town and up Northgate St. A left at the lights and straight on all the way back to NCT centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Mine was with the Test Centre at McCormack Mall ... From what I can remember the route was:

- Out of the carpark
    - Left turn, headed off down the Dublin Rd
    - Left turn at Scallys Hill and 1st exit roundabout, head towards Retreat.
    - Right turn and through Mels
    - Right turn at the new lights and on to the Ballymahon Rd
    - Turn into Arcadia and had the hill start, turn about and reverse in along Highfield Court
    - Out of there and head back out of Arcadia and Left at the roundabout.
    - Head past Cooson Tavern and the Fire Station and then1st exit at roundabout and up around by the Train Station.
    - Back through Mels, right onto Retreat Road
    - Left onto Sean Costello St
    - Arrive back to test centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I did mine 2 yrs ago, from the one opposite kfc, but followed the first persons route.
    I did my lessons with a crowd called Athlone School of motoring, she drives a maroon golf. lovely lady, but she brings you around all potential routes, and has marks for you to turn sterring wheel half and full lock etc.... (eg, when your wing mirror gets inline with the tree/bush do 3/4 lock) and you will fly your test.

also willow park, auburn heights and clonbrusk, and estate just off ballymahon road, beside coal bunker are all popular testing places.
    the cresent roundabout(now traffic light) use to be a nightmare, and also kilmartins roundabout (not as busy) are gone, so I couldn't imagine the test been too hard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Just thinking about willow. I dont a lot of lessons in and around there when I was jsut starting out ... it was ... turn right at the burnt out car, left at the bicycle with no wheels, watch out for the kids running here, there and everywhere :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

down the back of willow is a very good place to learn to drive, as there is very few people, if any at all down there, so you don't have to worry about hitting anyone, and if you do, it'll only be a foreigner waiting to be deported, or a relocated limerick scumbag!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

It's at the Test Centre at McCormack Mall.

Only got 3 weeks notice! Thought it would have been at least 5 weeks!

Ah, did mine with SGS a few months back. Here it is for anyone else who might get it with them (I had it written up already for someone else).

Depart from NCT.
    First exit off N6 roundabout, heading into town.
    Right at the next roundabout, towards Cypress Gardens.
    Over Garrycastle railway bridge, towards bypass.
    Onto the bypass at Garrycastle, heading West.
    Off bypass at next exit, Ballymahon Road.
    Straight through RSC roundabout, heading into town.
    Straight through the Cresent junction, turning left at St. Mary's Place.
    Past St. Mary's Church, towards Castlemaine Street.
    Turn right at the mini roundabout in front of Ruebens, heading back into town.
    Turn left before Supermacs, through the new road and coming out an Inis Corraig.
    Right at the roundabout, past Golden Island and towards Dunnes.
    Past Dunnes and straight through the junction heading back towards the Cresent.
    Turn right at the Cresent junction into St. Mel's.
    Turn left at the end of St. Mel's, and up past all the schools.
    Asked to pull in just before the small roundabout at Scally's hill. Pulled away straight away (just to test checking blindspot).
    Straight though the roundabout, avoiding Scally's Hill altogether.
    Turn right into one of the housing estate on that road.
    Asked to reverse around the corner in this estate.
    Out of the estate and turn right, past the Garrycastle railway bridge back towards Cypress Gardens.
    Turn into Cypress Gardens to do three point turn and demonstrate hand signals after you've turned.
    Out of Cypress Gardens, down along the IT.
    Turn left at the roundabout and head back towards the NCT.

All I would say is make sure you know the Cresent junction, which lane turns where and by what light.

Did the 3 point turn (in 7 turns but still faultless!)

I was told same during my test. Can't understand how it's considered OK to do it in 7 turns though.

Took two lessons with Fergie McCormack just before the test, sound to deal with. Though do plenty of driving all around the town. Nowhere he brought me came up in the actual test. As said, Willow is good and quiet to practice in.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Are there any motorbike tests available in Athlone? Tallaght has a dismal pass rate

• Advertisement
Advertisement