Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fm 09 Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Great read man.
    Especially, as you said, the bit out the mental attributes.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

you're much more conservative than I am. much more conservative.

I have plenty to debate with ya, but sadly I need to reinstall my OS tonight so it'll be a day or two before i can gather info on my own theories (which are heavily influenced by TT&F if i'm honest).

I have plenty to debate with ya, but sadly I need to reinstall my OS tonight so it'll be a day or two before i can gather info on my own theories (which are heavily influenced by TT&F if i'm honest).

Oh it's on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I agree I am more conservative, but you have a better chance of winning if you don't concede in my opinion. When I won the league for the first time with Liverpool I only conceded 16 goals all season. Winning 1-0 or 5-0 has the same outcome, three points!

I look forward to hearing what you have to say though as we could both be right, but just have different styles of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Super guide. You were true to your word :)

Should be very useful as im finding this iteration of the game rock hard. Shortly gonna start my 5th (yes, 5th!) career game attempt - here's hoping for success this time.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Great read man.
    Especially, as you said, the bit out the mental attributes.

Cheers

Thanks.

It was something I neglected in the past. I started testing that stuff out in FM08 and read a lot of other opinions on it as well. Turns out it's pretty damn important. :)

If you usually have a mentally tough team you can overachieve by grinding out results.

Vokes wrote: »
    Super guide. You were true to your word :)

Should be very useful as im finding this iteration of the game rock hard. Shortly gonna start my 5th (yes, 5th!) career game attempt - here's hoping for success this time.

Thanks man.

Best of luck with it. Who are you playing as?

Wolves.

Promoted in 1st season via playoffs. Had a good start in the premier league but after a few months im currently in 17th spot. It is of course the tactical side of things that I am having difficulties with (and a lot of other FM09 players are too im sure). There's so many nuances to the tactical sliders + decided which combination of sliders, etc...

I'll go over my setup now with a fresh eye after re-reading your guide.

Wolves.

Promoted in 1st season via playoffs. Had a good start in the premier league but after a few months im currently in 17th spot. It is of course the tactical side of things that I am having difficulties with (and a lot of other FM09 players are too im sure). There's so many nuances to the tactical sliders + decided which combination of sliders, etc...

I'll go over my setup now with a fresh eye after re-reading your guide.

Cool. Just remember players need to gel into tactics so it might take four or five games until.

I would recommend a 4-5-1 formation anyway with two DM's.

That's just me anyway. I will post up my tactics tomorrow anyway so people can try or even edit them to suite their team better.

Just to throw a wrench in the works... :)

Regarding Ambition, you say:
    This stat should be between 7-14. Players with low ambition are poor with the ball and don't try anything out of the ordinary. They make bad playmakers and wingers. Although they have the vision and creativity to create a killer pass or score a long range effort they would never attempt this due to low ambition. If a winger is on the ball and has low ambition, then he will not try to take on his man and get a cross in, but rather pass to ball to somebody else nearby. If players are over ambitious, then the opposite can happen. They may constantly try to score from ambitious shots despite better options open to them. They may also try overcomplicated passes when a simple one was the better option. Winger who are over ambitious will constantly try to beat their man without looking for the pass. Players who are over ambitious are at their worst when their stats are the best as they try to play better, then they actually are. It's OK when Cristiano Ronaldo tries tricks and takes on defenders, but when Stephen Hunt tries the same the results are plain for all to see. Again, it's the opposite for players with low ambition as they are at their worst when their stats are high as you get frustrated to see a player with Messi's ability look to offload the ball instead of going on one of his mazey runs. Another problem with ambitious players is that they will jump ship the moment a big club comes in to offer for them and they will kick up if you decide to tell them to stay put.

The bit I've highlighted in bold there - isn't that simply just a description of the visible Flair attribute? I would be of the opinion that Ambition simply controls how much a player wants to win trophies, move to a big club, etc as you have described in the last (non-bolded) sentence in that same paragraph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Copy and paste. :)

Cheers, good read.

Just to throw a wrench in the works... :)

Regarding Ambition, you say:

The bit I've highlighted in bold there - isn't that simply just a description of the visible Flair attribute? I would be of the opinion that Ambition simply controls how much a player wants to win trophies, move to a big club, etc as you have described in the last (non-bolded) sentence in that same paragraph.

No, flair involves audacious attempts on goal like heel flicks or bicycle kicks. For passing it involves crazy flicks etc.

Ambitious attempts on goal are attempts that are, well, ambitious. You usually hear it on telly: "That was a bit ambitious from Rooney"

I experimented with Ambition in a specially created saved game and database. I created a player with Messi's ability, but with low ambition what I noticed was that they tended to lay off the ball instead on running with it and really only scored tap ins. I would never make up something and put it in the guide. :)

Cool. You've convinced me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Be nice to see a guide for lower league management. Can't all have 15-20 in the attributes department! :pac:

dsmythy wrote: »
    Be nice to see a guide for lower league management. Can't all have 15-20 in the attributes department! :pac:

Ha indeed. I have experience in that area as well, but since the guide ended with about 10,000 words I didn't feel like writing another 10,000 :)

Just broaden the search to 13-20 and maybe ignore if some key stats aren't up to the standard. With lower league management it's really all about the tactics and my guide covered them and they can equally be applied to lower league.

I usually just look at the top teams in the lower league and compare stats for players I have with them. You get a rough idea of your own teams strength and whether it needs improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

dsmythy wrote: »
    Ha indeed. I have experience in that area as well, but since the guide ended with about 10,000 words I didn't feel like writing another 10,000 :)

Just broaden the search to 13-20 and maybe ignore if some key stats aren't up to the standard. With lower league management it's really all about the tactics and my guide covered them and they can equally be applied to lower league.

I usually just look at the top teams in the lower league and compare stats for players I have with them. You get a rough idea of your own teams strength and whether it needs improving.
    And make use of your Assistants Team Report. He'll let you know the weaker areas but more importantly recommend players to plug the gaps. These players are usually ones not found by your scouts as well.
    When scouting and signing players always try to aim to have all players with potential rated as good or better for the league above you. Gives some breathing room if you get promoted as replacing the majority of the first team at the start of a season makes team gelling very tough.
    That said, if managing a team in the BSS or BSN then getting anyone even remotely decent to sign for you can be tough so loans are your friend, get a good parent and aid their reserves and youths.

having driver issues at the mo, still haven't sorted out my comp in full yet (stupid Dell with broken installers).

I will say though, on the defensive line; it's not good to just play deep the whole time. It depends on a number of factors, pitch size, opposition strengths and weaknesses, your own defenders attributes and the tactical approach of the opposition as well as yours. Personally i think getting the defensive line right is the most important component in the game. A great tactic can fall apart because you've over stretched your players by having the defense too deep.

having driver issues at the mo, still haven't sorted out my comp in full yet (stupid Dell with broken installers).

I will say though, on the defensive line; it's not good to just play deep the whole time. It depends on a number of factors, pitch size, opposition strengths and weaknesses, your own defenders attributes and the tactical approach of the opposition as well as yours. Personally i think getting the defensive line right is the most important component in the game. A great tactic can fall apart because you've over stretched your players by having the defense too deep.

Maybe.

Playing deep with counter attack on can be very good. Soak up pressure, win the ball and catch them on the break. Works for me and many times have you seen players pace past your defenders to score a one on one.? For me it was too many so I pushed deeper. Win from the back and either hit them on the break or build up from the back.

Just an update.

If you didn't know already Part 2 of the guide can be found here:

http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=17221

Also, my I was nominated for "Topic of the Month" over at FM Formation. I posted my guide there and it seems to have gotten good reviews.

Thanks,
    Graham

Ardscoil just a question for you.
    When you say you play 5 across the middle with two Defense minded midfielders do you mean you have 5 across the middle with two having arrows back?

Or a 4-2-3-1 situation ala

MF
    MF
    MF

DM
    DM

• Advertisement

Ardscoil just a question for you.
    When you say you play 5 across the middle with two Defense minded midfielders do you mean you have 5 across the middle with two having arrows back?

Or a 4-2-3-1 situation ala

MF
    MF
    MF

DM
    DM

I play this:

GK

DR----DC----DC----DL

DM----DM----

---AMC---AMC---AMC

ST

The middle ACM run back to the MC slot to pick up the ball while the other to ACM run up beside the striker. I can upload the tactic for you if you like and you can edit it or keep it the way it is?

I play this:

GK

DR----DC----DC----DL

DM----DM----

---AMC---AMC---AMC

ST

The middle ACM run back to the MC slot to pick up the ball while the other to ACM run up beside the striker. I can upload the tactic for you if you like and you can edit it or keep it the way it is?

Yeah that would be awesome if ya could.
    Three AMC though? Kinda rules out any need for wingers, do you not find that the middle of the pitch gets very congested?
    Also having them as AM would that not make it more of a 4-2-4 than a 4-5-1?

Yeah that would be awesome if ya could.
    Three AMC though? Kinda rules out any need for wingers, do you not find that the middle of the pitch gets very congested?
    Also having them as AM would that not make it more of a 4-2-4 than a 4-5-1?

Rules out the need for flat out wingers, but you could slide the width bar up high and they move out to they flanks as another option. The tactic really needs the right players. Players who can play AMC R/L/C are devastating here.

Yes the midfield gets packed out, but I did that on purpose. If you pack out the midfield and create a small pitch as well as have your AMC as with high passing and creativity then the AI should only worry about the congestion.

The formation is 4-5-1. If the runs are made it turns into a 4-3-3 if anything.

Meh it's not letting me upload the files. Have you got MSN?

change the extension to .txt

How do I do that? Pardon my retarded question.

How do I do that? Pardon my retarded question.

tactic.tac; right click, rename as tactic.txt, simple as that. rename tactic.tac to use.

edit: sometimes need to have view file extensions enabled for this to work.

Heya yeah I do.
    I'm assuming your the Graham that added me?

Ardscoil's name is Graham? ahahahahahahahaha....

;)

Heya yeah I do.

Indeed

• Advertisement

Ardscoil's name is Graham? ahahahahahahahaha....

;)

Could be worse....

Advertisement