Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fm 09 Guide

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JayusKayus

I'm sorry to denigrate your work, but I found your players guide utterly pointless!

You were only short of putting up - Top Tip: remember to select a goalkeeper in goal!!!

Cheers,
    JK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Well I have received a few emails about my guide. Most contain the same questions so I though I'd share a few answers here. They may or may not be helpful.

Q: My Assistant Manager keeps telling me their are gaps between my midfield and strikers and a gap between my midfield and defence which he says is being exploited. I play DMC and ACM and it say the same. How can I fix this?

A: Many people get confused here and rightfully so because your Assistant isn't very clear. What this means is that there is a physical gap, but is caused by the players mentality. Sounds confusing, but will explain it more clearly. Lets just say your Assistant says their is a gap between your defence and midfield that can be exploited. This is caused because your defenders mentality is set too defensive and your midfield's mentality is too attacking. When your team has possession of the ball your midfield pushes up in attack and your defenders push back creating a gap that could be exploited by a counter attack or loss of possession.

In order to counter this you have a number of options. You can set your mentality in the same for the whole team or have the individual settings balance out for the whole team. E.g. Defenders 25% of the bar, Midfield 50% and strikers 75%, but you can ix it up a bit. You can also ignore the gap if that's how you want your team to play.

screenshot3.jpg

Q: Do teams ever build new stadiums?

A: Yes they do, but only under certain conditions. Firstly a new stadium is going to cost in and around 300m depending on who you are so your going to need to be a rich team. You must also have an average full attendance of 90% for the whole season. If your a good manager they might even name it after you...

TheBartman-9.png

Q: My board and fans are unhappy for no logical reason, why?

A: Simple answer. The board confidence system is a shambles and best off just ignoring it.

screenshot4.jpg

JayusKayus wrote: »
    I'm sorry to denigrate your work, but I found your players guide utterly pointless!

You were only short of putting up - Top Tip: remember to select a goalkeeper in goal!!!

Cheers,
    JK

Was designed for beginners as well. You underestimate peoples need for this sort of help. If you go to the SI games forum or other FM fansites there is always new people springing up asking for help with questions like this. I said this at the start of the guide. Yes, I realise it sound patronising to advanced players, but that can't be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Cheers,
    JK

tbh man Ardscoil put a lot of work into those guides and I would take offence if I was him at this comment.
    I found the guides very helpful, especially the mental aspect of players.
    If you didn't like the guide don't read it and if you think it was so bad let's see your guide that you put a lot of work into hmmm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

I think it's a fine guide, thorough and well put together.

Everyone will have their own theories and slants on various aspects, but if you think you know it all, then don't bother reading a guide. I've been playing since CM93, and I still learned a thing or two.

My only problem with it is the use of rose-tinted references to Liverpool as examples for things! ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys!

As to be expected with any work put on the internet it's also going to draw criticism. Luckily for me that criticism has been low, but it's obviously not going to be liked by all. You should also note that the guide is only version 1. It's going to be expanded upon and made to look better.

I will be adding a guide to pitch sizes next. Something that is mostly ignored, but vital to success (It's short, but informative). I will also be adding a guide on how to counter tactics employed against you, that should be handy against teams who usually find hard to beat.

Any ideas for the guide then please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Cheers,
    JK

not really. in all good guides it's worth going back to basics, this shows up the different approaches to the game significantly. You obviously have a very similar to approach to Ardscoil, so the guide is less useful to you. however there are many different approaches to any game, and it's these back to basics guides that are most useful in making those fundamental changes to your approach that can make a good player into a great player.

not really. in all good guides it's worth going back to basics, this shows up the different approaches to the game significantly. You obviously have a very similar to approach to Ardscoil, so the guide is less useful to you. however there are many different approaches to any game, and it's these back to basics guides that are most useful in making those fundamental changes to your approach that can make a good player into a great player.

I never got to hear your tactical approach to the game leninbenjamin. I would still like to hear it.

Guide update:

Now contains a guide to pitch sizes with their advantages and disadvantages.

An updated version on the guide is found here:

http://www.fmformation.net/general-guides/36530-fm-09-complete-guide.html

The updated version is easier to read and contains pictures for some reason.

You have to register to that forum to read the guide.
    Just to let people know :)

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    You have to register to that forum to read the guide.
    Just to let people know :)

Oh right :)

It's a good site for downloads etc.

For those who don't want to register then long story short it's large for attacking team and small for defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mastermichael20

Cheers,
    JK
    Your a fool if you think that guide wasnt great apart from advising players,you are suffering from graeme souness syndrome.you belong in the echolens of proffessional football,11 brutes against 11.

Have you any word on lulinha,what happened to him.I would also like your opinion on adrien da silva,sakho and saivet for psg.

Have you any word on lulinha,what happened to him.I would also like your opinion on adrien da silva,sakho and saivet for psg.

Not at my desktop now (on laptop), but will post about them tonight with some screenshots of what they look like 6 years down the line.

Not at my desktop now (on laptop), but will post about them tonight with some screenshots of what they look like 6 years down the line.
    Ye that would be great,much appreciated.thanks.great guide.Laurito is unbelievable.

Yeah Laurito was the best purchase I ever made in FM09. When I was making the list of players I think Laurito and Kacar were the only players I had that nobody else had on any list. Weird since they're probably the two best players you can buy.

Anyway:

Lulinha: Pretty poor player. Still hasn't made it out of Brazil yet. Can play on the flanks or up front. With finishing 11, composure 13 and off the ball 13 he's not going to get many goals. On the flanks is his best position. Despite being rather quick and skill full his crossing 9 and passing 12. Basically he has no end product. Avoid in my opinion. Not even good enough for the bench.

Sakho: Stats say it all. Jumping and heading 16 and he's 6'2. Nobody is going to beat him in the air. Strength 20 so he can ease players off the ball. Positioning 18 so he's always able to be in the right place and the right time to intercept a pass. Concentration 18 so mistake will be rare. He's also fast for a defender. Definite purchase for any club.

Henri Saivet: I had this guy but sold him for 13m to Villa. He's very good, but with Torres and Laurito ahead of him I cashed in. Very fast and good in front of goal. Finishing could be better, but he has scored quite a few goals with Villa. Alongside Laurito he would be devastating. Also, there is better players than him available.

I'm updating the guide this weekend with about 20 new players and I'm adding screenshots for all new players and existing players. I'll tell you one player to get who I missed out on Alexis Sanchez. He is the other young Chilean at Udinese. As good as Laurito!

EDIT: Couldn't find the other guy. What club does he play for?

Yeah Laurito was the best purchase I ever made in FM09. When I was making the list of players I think Laurito and Kacar were the only players I had that nobody else had on any list. Weird since they're probably the two best players you can buy.

Anyway:

Lulinha: Pretty poor player. Still hasn't made it out of Brazil yet. Can play on the flanks or up front. With finishing 11, composure 13 and off the ball 13 he's not going to get many goals. On the flanks is his best position. Despite being rather quick and skill full his crossing 9 and passing 12. Basically he has no end product. Avoid in my opinion. Not even good enough for the bench.

Sakho: Stats say it all. Jumping and heading 16 and he's 6'2. Nobody is going to beat him in the air. Strength 20 so he can ease players off the ball. Positioning 18 so he's always able to be in the right place and the right time to intercept a pass. Concentration 18 so mistake will be rare. He's also fast for a defender. Definite purchase for any club.

Henri Saivet: I had this guy but sold him for 13m to Villa. He's very good, but with Torres and Laurito ahead of him I cashed in. Very fast and good in front of goal. Finishing could be better, but he has scored quite a few goals with Villa. Alongside Laurito he would be devastating. Also, there is better players than him available.

I'm updating the guide this weekend with about 20 new players and I'm adding screenshots for all new players and existing players. I'll tell you one player to get who I missed out on Alexis Sanchez. He is the other young Chilean at Udinese. As good as Laurito!

EDIT: Couldn't find the other guy. What club does he play for?
    thanks for that,lookin forward to thr update,adrien da silva for lisbon,shame bout lulinha.i thought he was one of the best in the last game,played him in the hole and adrien although my friends said they didnt think he was any good i had him at newcastle in fm08 and won the league in my first season.he was only 18 but played bout 20 league games,i got all his stats up bright blue apart from defensive and he was worth 20mil at one stage and i pais 775,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

thanks for that,lookin forward to thr update,adrien da silva for lisbon,shame bout lulinha.i thought he was one of the best in the last game,played him in the hole and adrien although my friends said they didnt think he was any good i had him at newcastle in fm08 and won the league in my first season.he was only 18 but played bout 20 league games,i got all his stats up bright blue apart from defensive and he was worth 20mil at one stage and i pais 775,000.

Did you have him on a specific training schedule or was it just the general one??

joe123 wrote: »
    Did you have him on a specific training schedule or was it just the general one??

He probably used Tug's Training. Everybody uses that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I try to make my own training, takes me fncking ages to get it right but for me that is one of the best parts of the game. It is certainly the least buggy part of the game.

• Advertisement

I try to make my own training, takes me fncking ages to get it right but for me that is one of the best parts of the game. It is certainly the least buggy part of the game.

Fair play. I can't be arsed with it though. Takes ages to do and isn't really worth it. The default training will actually do the business for you if you have 7 star coaches in all departments.

I always make my own training schedule for my first team,no it was basically just couple of weeks intensive strength and aerobic and i am defensively minded so bit of that but nothing specific,lot of luck,just through him in,he loves the big games.he's small but brilliant if you fullfill his potential.

Too bad he sucks this game.

Ardscoil, or anyone, just wondering what your take is on having an older player act as a mentor to a younger player.
    Is there any noticeable long term benefit that makes it worthwile?

Frisbee wrote: »
    Ardscoil, or anyone, just wondering what your take is on having an older player act as a mentor to a younger player.
    Is there any noticeable long term benefit that makes it worthwile?

i've never noticed any benefit, only the possibility of upsetting the harmony of the squad due to personality clashes (you'd think a youngster would be happy to be tutored by those he lists as his favoured personnel :rolleyes:).

anyone had better luck?

i've never noticed any benefit, only the possibility of upsetting the harmony of the squad due to personality clashes (you'd think a youngster would be happy to be tutored by those he lists as his favoured personnel :rolleyes:).

anyone had better luck?

Really? I've found it essential for their development. However, you're 100% right about the squad harmony. Bringing people together who don't like each other can really mess with your team.

I think to get the right match you need the players to be very similar. They need to speak the same language, have the same nationality, play in the same positions and have similar descriptions e.g. Nomadic Striker etc.

Easy way of finding out potential matches is when you sign a youngster they usually say they are excited to be at the same club as (insert player name here) etc. That's a hint anyway.

Hard to find good matches though. Cilla Black couldn't do a better job so I would agree more with leninbenjamin that you should be very sure before you decide to match two people together.

Really? I've found it essential for their development. However, you're 100% right about the squad harmony. Bringing people together who don't like each other can really mess with your team.

I think to get the right match you need the players to be very similar. They need to speak the same language, have the same nationality, play in the same positions and have similar descriptions e.g. Nomadic Striker etc.

eh? never found it to be that way. my squad all have similar personality (ambitious or determined is what i go for), i always match up positions and even pair up youngsters with those they admire and i've never gotten a single tangible benefit from it.
    Easy way of finding out potential matches is when you sign a youngster they usually say they are excited to be at the same club as (insert player name here) etc. That's a hint anyway.

yup. as I said above, did that and still have had players falling out. the impacts of it just seem completely random to me.

I'll give it another go to see how i get on. Currently Santon is being tutored by Sagna and it seems to be the first time it's lasted more than a few weeks so maybe i'll have something more positive to report soon.

Advertisement