Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Noise

Options
  • 05-01-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone could help me out with this. I have a 2001 Renault Megane Hatchback. The problem with is that once I go over 50mph a loud humming noise can be heard. The noise sounds as if the car is revving up really hard but the rev counter is at normal level (2500) and I'm not using up any extra fuel. There is no clicking noise when turning left or right and breaks are working perfectly. The only problem is the noise which can be heard inside the car. When the windows are down it doesn't sound as if it can be heard on the outside.
    Hope someone can help.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

My quess would be wheel bearing,

based on the symptons given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

wheel bearing, needs urgent attention

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like some sort of bearing noise. Does it get louder as you turn left or right or is it constant? Does it happen at 2500rpm no matter what gear you're in or is it just in one gear?

As stated, it could be a wheel bearing but it could also be a gearbox bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Richie860504

No it is a constant noise and it only kicks in at 4th or 5th gear.

Advertisement