Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental dwelling is freezing

Options
  • 05-01-2009 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Just moved into a new place and it looks nice.
    It's an old house which has been refurbished (at some point).
    However, the reality is that this must be no insulation in the ceiling nor in the walls and our front door is very draughty (no weather proofing around it, old wooden door)
    Have to have the heat on constantly and the fire lit.
    We are running up a huge bill already (gas fired central heating).
    Have booked a handy man to try and get all the rads working (most need bleeding, which is not working, and one isn't coming on at all).
    I rang the agency up to complain about how cold the place is but they don't want to know about it.
    They'll send around a fella to get the rads working but when i asked them for some weather-proofing around the door they reacted poorly.
    They won't do it and seem to think i'm asking for too much.

We wouldn't have taken this place if we knew it was this poorly insulated.
    Now we are stuck to a year lease.

Is there any regulation about insulating things in a rental dwelling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Does your lease say anything about the dwelling needing to be liveable or something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

What's liveable?
    Yes i'd say it is. So long as you crank up the heat full bore, light a big fire and supplment some electic heaters around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'd back out now if you can. As they're not going to want to spend a penny on improving it for you.

If moving is not an option, on the plus side you're heading into spring!

Advertisement