Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using an O2 iPhone 3G on Meteor post-unlock?

• 05-01-2009 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Couple of questions... I've been offered an iPhone 3G for a reasonable enough price. It's currently locked to O2 but I'm fairly sure I can unlock it with Yellowsn0w. I have a Meteor billpay account and I want to stick with it, once I unlock the iPhone will I be able to use it on Meteor and take full advantage of 3G browsing speeds, GPS etc?

Also, the O2 SIM that is taken out of the iPhone, would it be possible to throw that in a regular phone and still make calls / texts on it?

Cheers,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Firstly, there is no way a 3G iphone can be software unlocked at present. They can be jailbroken but not unlocked. You will be able to use a SIM adaptor to use it on Meteor (I have done for months) and the original O2 SIM card will be usable in other phones. Go here to check out one type of SIM adaptor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Firstly, there is no way a 3G iphone can be software unlocked at present. They can be jailbroken but not unlocked. You will be able to use a SIM adaptor to use it on Meteor (I have done for months) and the original O2 SIM card will be usable in other phones. Go here to check out one type of SIM adaptor.

Actually, it is now possible to software unlock an iPhone 3G as per this link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems that there has been an unlock available since late December? See here: http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2009/01/01/unlock-your-iphone-3g-yellow-sn0w-guide-tutorial/

Again, not saying you're wrong as I'm totally new to this whole game but it seems like you can Jailbreak using QuickPwn then unlock it using Yellowsn0w?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Yellowsn0w is still beta software and the majority of issues are now resolved with 0.9.5, but there are still some people reporting issues with using a Meteor sim. Once these are resolved and coming back to your question, you will be able to take advantage of your billpay Meteor acc. for 3G, browsing etc.

The O2 sim that you take out of the iPhone can be used in a regular phone...I'm using my iPhone on Vodafone billpay and my O2 sim in a Samsung for regular calls / texts, both without issues. The only further point to make about the O2 sim is that MMS will not be provisioned on it, but you can ring O2 on 1909 and ask them to provision it on that sim for you.

CivilEx wrote: »
    Yellowsn0w is still beta software and the majority of issues are now resolved with 0.9.5, but there are still some people reporting issues with using a Meteor sim. Once these are resolved and coming back to your question, you will be able to take advantage of your billpay Meteor acc. for 3G, browsing etc.

The O2 sim that you take out of the iPhone can be used in a regular phone...I'm using my iPhone on Vodafone billpay and my O2 sim in a Samsung for regular calls / texts, both without issues. The only further point to make about the O2 sim is that MMS will not be provisioned on it, but you can ring O2 on 1909 and ask them to provision it on that sim for you.

Cheers for the info mate - that's pretty much what I plan to do, throw the O2 card in my current phone as a backup and use the Meteor SIM in the iPhone. Just wanted to make sure I'd have 3G browsing and everything else available. I've been reading a lot about Yellowsn0w and haven't heard any problems with Meteor, what sort of problems have you been hearing of people having?

• Advertisement

having just read through the blogs, there seems to be lots of issues with Yellowsnow - not just here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Have a look on http://report.yellowsn0w.com/index.php and click on the "Country" tab to keep all posters from Ireland together.

Sound, cheers mate. Had a look through them there, doesn't seem to be too much actually wrong... just a couple of lads with SIM locks still on and someone who seemed to have a coverage issue, I'll chance my arm anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Yellowsn0w works just fine for 95% of people.

Yellowsn0w works just fine for 95% of people.

I did mine last night. No problems with the update and jailbreak but I did not get a signal at all. Tried all the dodges on the various blogs to no avail. Then I remembered that I live in a low signal area for Meteor. Went to the top of the house, turned on airplane mode & left it on for about 30 seconds, turned it off & 10 seconds later....... Meteor signal!!! All working fine, in/out, txt, web, Edge & 3G.

The moral from this is make sure you do the install in a strong signal area!

• Advertisement

Andrew, got the iPhone today and eventually unlocked it fine and calls and texts are working in and out, I've only got Edge coverage though and I can't seem to get 3G anywhere - did yours just work automatically? SIM is fine as my old phone was 3G and it worked on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 osirion666

Hi i currently have an unlocked(factory unlock) iphone on the meteor network however i cant send mms(just updateded to 3.0) and access wap as i dont have the correct settings i was wondering if any of you have the same issue? if not how did you solve it?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement