Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAT Cousres Tax relief if company pays for them?

• 05-01-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26

Hi,

Quick query im here a couple of months with this company, at the interview they said that they would pay for ~1/2 of my course fees.

I thought that a company can claim tax relief for the amount of the course, is that right? I am doing a couple of papers which amounts to approx €950 of which they said they would pay €500, but would it not be in their interest to pay the full lot as then they would recivbe a €950 tax relief?

Is this correct or have i got this totall wrong? any help appreciated? Cause would like to try and persuade them to pay the full amount as i beneifit fully but so does company as either way they have to fork out the €950 whether 500 on me and €450 in other tax, is that right?

Thnaks for reading this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Training fees are an allowable expenses for a company. That means they could take the full €950 as an expense.

But, it is techincally only worth €118.75 (950*12.5%) in tax relief to them.If they did not pay for the course, their income would be €950 higher and cost them €118.75 in tax.

So they are electing not to pay the remaining €450 as it will only save them €56.25 on their tax bill but still cost them the full amount.

This is my understanding of it. Hope it clears it up for you. I am open to being corrected tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 FMI

Thanks alot maddogcollins much appreciated....

Advertisement