Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend a TV card?

Options
  • 05-01-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for a good TV card so I can watch TV on my computer. I have a Dell Dimension tower PC with Windows XP and a flat screen monitor. I have basic analogue TV input.
    Any recommendations for a card that produces excellent video and sound?
    Is this just like watching TV with the same quality?
    Oh and one more thing, would I be able to record programmes onto my computer?
    Thanks,
    B.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Where do you live?

You could be able to receive the current Irish Digital TV trials if you get a hybrid card.

It's rare you'd see a dedicated analog card these days so you probably have no option but to get a hybrid if your looking to pick up analog signals.

I have a Terratec HT cinergy PCI which is ok. The software is decent enough. The major difference between all the brands of TV cards is the software that comes bundled with them.

Sometimes the software can be shocking. So you'd want to make sure the card you are buying works with other software and operating systems. For example there are currently no Linux drivers available for the card I have (last time I checked anyway).

Which means I'm restricted HTPC software for the windows platform only. (Linux is ****e anyway :D)

Pick your price range, then research all of the cards that fall into that price range. Try and find reviews and comments on them. What the software is like etc.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?mfr=&bn=11032&sortBy=p&zbo2=true

Unless you have crystal clear analog being piped in it will look ****e on a PC screen. ANd yeah you can record TV to your computer.

You may be in an area with Digital reception which would give you excellent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bearaman

Thanks for the detailed reply. I live in Cork city, would I be able to get the digital trials there?
    I do get excellent analogue signal so it may be OK. I'll take your advice and check out a few on Komplett.
    Thanks,
    B.

Advertisement