Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grooming Colourpoint Persian Cat

Options
  • 05-01-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

All,

I would like to be able to leave my cat in to get groomed every once in a while. Does anyone know anyone in the Dublin/Meath area?

Thanks
    Ali

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

bump (and grind!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Someone asked a very similar question on the PetsIreland board recently. You'll need to register to view the thread but I've also directed the PetsIreland member who does groom cats in Meath to here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭almae

hi , i have a perisan too , and i wanted to get him groomed .
    he is a pure bred, i went to the vet this am and he gave me a tab to gently calm my boy while i brush and bathe him :D

wish me luck2997896040102916097S425x425Q85.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clofty

Hi almae,

Your cat is gorgeous!!

Would be interested in hearing how you get on with the sedative and grooming him yourself. My long haired girlie was in at the vets to get bathed and groomed and although she looks beautiful (and smells great!) now I would like to be able to do it myself but value my life!!!

I didn't know that vets could give you a sedative to give to the cat yourself.

Please let me know how you get on.

Cathy

well cathy

Garfield knew the tablet was in the sardines and would not eat so i had to go alone and to be honest to him he was great.

I asked my vet about would they groom him for me and they said no,where is your groomer ? I am in Navan
    I am going to be showing Garfield in the Limerick show in Feb so it will be his show and hoping he will do well.I love him to bits he is so so gentle.

alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

He's stunning.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I have a long haired cat and I just groom him myself when he is sleepy. Now it wouldn't be show standard grooming, but it is enough to stop him getting mats etc. This is what I do if you want to give it a try.

Best time of day is mid afternoon, when he has been asleep for an hour or so. I just sneak up on him with a brush and v. gently work through him. If I find a mat, I just gently tease it out or snip it off v. quickly. He usually gets properly awake after about 10/15 mins and I might have to stop and take up where I left off the next day.

Its easy to trim nails - just squeeze the toes gently till the claw extends and then with a proper claw trimmer, cut of the tip (be v. careful not to go near the cuticle, which you will see as a little red bit extending down).

I haven't ever washed him completely, but if he is dirty or stinky, I wipe him with a damp cloth.

If his tail starts swishing, I know he has had enough, and its time to back off. :D I ignored this sign at the weekend, and now I have a nice little red scratch on my hand as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Just letting u know that u cant advertise that u r showing your cat especially naming the show. It's against all rules of the cat fancy. Dont want u to get into trouble! Just say u r planning to show him soon. with a long haired cat it's v important to start bathing and grooming at a v young age so they get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clofty

Alison - good luck to u and Garfield in the show - i'm sure he will do well,

My vet is Des Groome in Kildare. The Vet Nurse there does the grooming and I think she does a great job. They even blow dry the hair! It's probably too far from Navan.

I've only had to get her done once yearly as she lets us brush her with a normal dog brush daily but once we produce the special brush for mats she loses it! She was getting very matted around her middle because of the volume of hair she had. Now it seems much thinner and more manageable for her. She looked funny when we brought her home cause she literally looked half the size she was.

MsFifers - I wish I could sneak up on my girl - she almost seems to sense what I have in mind and gives me the stink eye!!

Best left to the professionals in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

she almost seems to sense what I have in mind and gives me the stink eye!!

Fair enough. I think cats are psychic. One of mine always knows when I'm going away, even BEFORE I start packing - and he takes off and hides so he won't have to go into the travel case!

• Advertisement

i did not realise my error , i did not mean to adverise anything , god I am sorry:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Just remove that bit from your post, the bit about the show. It's just that it's all supposed to be anon for judging! As i said's just dont want u getting into trouble!

i cannot edit that section,i have no option to edit ?

any adminstrator that can do it for me please

Advertisement