Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Leon 06 Spark plugs

Options
  • 05-01-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have my Leon since new and it's been great. I was getting it serviced at a main dealer but he has messed up the service every time. Inncorrect spark plug gapping and too much oil on another service.
    Up till this car I have allways serviced my own cars, I want to do it on this car too but there's a problem.
    The oil and air filter are handy enough but the spark plugs look near inaccessable. Is there a specail tool I need to get at them or do I have to take off all the plastic bits?
    Oh it's a 1.6ltr petrol, same as you would find in a VW Golf or A4. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say you probably need a long reach spark plug socket. Most decent motor factors/Halfords should be able to supply you with these.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/sy/sykes-pickavant-spark-plug-socket--long-16mm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Bodhan wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have my Leon since new and it's been great. I was getting it serviced at a main dealer but he has messed up the service every time. Inncorrect spark plug gapping and too much oil on another service.
    Up till this car I have allways serviced my own cars, I want to do it on this car too but there's a problem.
    The oil and air filter are handy enough but the spark plugs look near inaccessable. Is there a specail tool I need to get at them or do I have to take off all the plastic bits?
    Oh it's a 1.6ltr petrol, same as you would find in a VW Golf or A4. Any advice would be welcome.

Well spark plugs are now pre-gapped so it's hard to see how a b*lls was made of this unless one was dropped or the wrong one was put in.

As for removing them yourself, you'll need to get a 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch (depending on what type ratchet you're using), extention bar and a spark plug socket, sometimes also a swivel head, to remove them. You're best investing a few quid in these tools if you're going to do these tasks yourself.

Glad to see a huge jump in the last few weeks on the forum of people turning to these tasks themselves. They are extremely easy and you'll always know the work has been done if you do it yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

How do you know the plug gaps are wrong ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Cheers, I'll have to get them. Is there a way of taking the leads off, they looked clipped on to the spark plug head?
    The main dealer dropped 2 of the plugs putting them in last time. Also too much oil was put in so the car has had trouble starting, this is the main reason for me wanting to change the plugs.
    Plus I want to know what parts and engine oil is in. NGK for the plugs and Castol Edge for the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

The mechanic told me when I went back, the car wouldn't start and sounded like it was mis-firing. That's when he came out and told me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I was thinking the exact same thing:D

OP, if you're asking if the plastic engine cover needs to come off in order to get at the plugs, then like most modern cars, it probably does and you'll more than likely need a torx head bit, either T6 or T8, to take out the screws.

Advertisement