Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox + BB conundrum...

Options
  • 05-01-2009 1:54pm

Not entirely sure where to post this (Xbox/BB/midband etc..) so would be grateful if this was moved to the most appropriate forum.

I currently connect my xbox to our router through the Xbox wireless adapter, and provided nobody is doing anything excessive on the PC the speed of the connection is decent and don't usually have any probs. Whenever the PC is being used heavily i.e. watching loads of youtube vids or d/l music, movies etc. the connection drops right down, almost to the point of being unplayable.
    Also, I'm not 100% sure which NTL package we're on, but it would certainly be one of the very basic ones.

Now, my brother bought an Xbox for himself over the weekend. He will be playing online as soon as he can afford a wireless adapter as well. I've a feeling that this is gonna f*ck up the connection so much that we aren't gonna be able to play at the same time, so thought I'd sort out my own, separate connection.

I was looking at Irish Broadband, but have been warned off them by so many people, it'd be foolish to ignore them. So, what i'm looking for is something similar to what they do i.e. just plug it into the xbox and off i go. Would the mobile broadband options (O2, 3 etc.) work this way? If not, are IBB the only "plug-n-play" option? If say the O2 works, what sort of upload and download data usage are we talking about, strictly in relation to playing games on xbox live?

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff and am afraid that i'll just end up in a 12 month contract paying for something that won't be of any use.

Comments

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Any of the plug and go style broadbands are going to be just as ****e as eachother for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would the mobile broadband options (O2, 3 etc.) work this way?

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff and am afraid that i'll just end up in a 12 month contract paying for something that won't be of any use.

No, No, No, xbox and mobile broadband will be a friggin disaster, you'll be lagging like hell, don't touch it, don't know much about ibb but i'd stay clear if it's wireless..

suggest you upgrade you current connection or bust the little bro if he's interfering with your gun slinging...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

defo try upgrade the current bb package u have first and try wired connection for one of the xbox's if possible its much better for gaming purposes. stay away from anykind of mobile broadband. they are not made for gaming and are utterly useless when it comes to gaming.

if all else fails break ur bro's xbox :P

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

hi there! I have the same problem, i need to get broadband connected to my bedroom, curently considering the wireless option, but don't think its for me! I don't see the point if its going to be lagging when i'm on COD and end up getting disconnected!

At the moment we have a digiweb dsl connection, and i'm using a switch which is cool and the gang, but my bro is gonna need the TV with the pending champions league season kicking off. so my options are get a really long cable to stretch to my room, or else wireless or else get a brand new connection. I'd prefer to get a mega long cable as i don't want to sign up to something. Problem is; digiweb never came to the house to install it originally, so they aren't likely to come to sort out my problem!! and I have no idea where to go for a cable of this type - i would say if i was to cable it internally (as opposed to going out and in windows), i would need an industrial length cable. So if anyone got any suggestions on what i can do i'd be grateful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

tazire wrote: »
    defo try upgrade the current bb package u have first and try wired connection for one of the xbox's if possible its much better for gaming purposes. stay away from anykind of mobile broadband. they are not made for gaming and are utterly useless when it comes to gaming.

if all else fails break ur bro's xbox :P

+1
    upgrade your package
    else;
    try wired connection
    else;
    put restrictions on the max speeds the PC downloading movies can use...or maybe prioitise the traffic from your xbox (you can do this with some routers)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

gstar wrote: »
    hi there! I have the same problem, i need to get broadband connected to my bedroom, curently considering the wireless option, but don't think its for me! I don't see the point if its going to be lagging when i'm on COD and end up getting disconnected!

At the moment we have a digiweb dsl connection, and i'm using a switch which is cool and the gang, but my bro is gonna need the TV with the pending champions league season kicking off. so my options are get a really long cable to stretch to my room, or else wireless or else get a brand new connection. I'd prefer to get a mega long cable as i don't want to sign up to something. Problem is; digiweb never came to the house to install it originally, so they aren't likely to come to sort out my problem!! and I have no idea where to go for a cable of this type - i would say if i was to cable it internally (as opposed to going out and in windows), i would need an industrial length cable. So if anyone got any suggestions on what i can do i'd be grateful?

Have you currently got a wireless router with your digiweb connection? if so you can try the wireless adapter for the xbox which while not as good as a wired connection still works very well.

If you dont have a wireless router then you could buy one and an xbox wireless adapter.

if you want to use a long cable then you use up to 100m of cat5 cable before the signal starts to get bad

no need for new connection

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

thanks for that. i got some powerline adaptors, which seem to work intermittantly. i may yet invest in an industrial length cable though. it looks to be the only reliable way of getting my connection on board. i have no idea where to get a cable of ridiculous length tho, can anyone suggest anywhere to buy one? i would like to avoid having to join cables in an ideal world, thanks for your help.

Advertisement