Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can WinXP 64 use 8gig ram ?

Options
  • 05-01-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Just wondering can WinXp64 use 8 gig if it was there for it to use?

I've heard normal winXP cant,

It's for rendering 3D and images,

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

NeVeR wrote: »
    Just wondering can WinXp64 use 8 gig if it was there for it to use?

I've heard normal winXP cant,

It's for rendering 3D and images,

Yes, it can.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Vista 64 can aswell, its a better OS than XP 64

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

thanks guys,

I really dont want to use Vista,, I just dont like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

thanks guys,

I really dont want to use Vista,, I just dont like it at all.

Yeah, XP64 is actually based on one of the Windows Servers not a standard OS. Just to warn you about compatability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Yeah, XP64 is actually based on one of the Windows Servers not a standard OS. Just to warn you about compatability.

What does that mean ?... Will i be able to use it like Normal XP ?

I just need something that can handle more RAM, as my programs need it for rendering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I just need something that can handle more RAM, as my programs need it for rendering.

XP64 is based off the kernel for Server 2003, rather than the older 32bit XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

so good luck getting stable graphics and audio drivers if you decide to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd advise Vista 64bit as well. Miles better than XP 64bit.
    Far more stable and more drivers/software are available for it.
    Don't let you dislike of Vista cloud your judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

Are you upgrading an existing machine or will you be purchasing a new workstation preinstalled with XP64?

Burgo is correct warning you about drivers as support for XP64 is limited. Check the websites for all the components that you need to support (Video. SAS/SATA/SCSI controller, Audio, scanners and even things like your video camera or web cams). I upgraded my home PC to Vistas 64 and had to revert as all my older devices no longer worked.

What application are you using to render your graphics? If it is large address aware (big if!) you may be able to use more than 2GB RAM by enabling the /3GB switch in your boot.ini. LONG SHOT but worth testing. Word of advice - do not modify the default option in the boot.ini - add a second line with the /3gb so that you can easily revert to original state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it means Vista64 is better for compatability afaik.

• Advertisement
Advertisement