Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNIX / Linux certification

Options
  • 05-01-2009 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

As someone who has been working in IT for almost 10 years as either a general support person or network admin ive been unfortunate in that all of my places of work have been pure windows enviroments. Ive done the whole MCSE , CCNA thing but now find I would like to learn something new , thing is i havnt a feckin clue where to begin with UNIX.

Can someone please point me in the right direction , is RHCT or RHCE the best starting place ? Which would more useful as a network admin ?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

They are the most prestigious but obviously focus on Redhat. You might be better off doing a distro neutral course first like the LPIC (at least level 1). Then if you really have a taste for it do the RHCx, but bear in mind that the RHCE is much tougher than the MCSE and also certs are less regarded in Linux circuits than almost any other area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 su_root

Start with RHCT .. I would also advise downloading a copy of Fedora to get started. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Just a query to add on...I would be mainly Windows, but have flirted with Linux in spare time...Was advised to go the Debian route...Just a couple of questions if its ok, answers would be much appreciated..

1.Setting up a debian.iso with vmware wkstation 6, then using cbt nuggets and train signal to go through labs

2.Can anyone here point me towards good learning sites, labs wise for linux and which flavour I should use

3.Is it worth my while to do the comptia linux+.I dont like doing certs for the sake of it.But I have done a good bit before and depending on where I go to work, i may or may not use it.Would like to learn it regardless and move from there.

4.What level would I require before my knowledge is useful to employer??What would they expect?

Thanks very much..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Linux+ is very basic, but no harm to have, due to the relative dearth of general linux/Unix-related certs. The Red Hat certs are definitely worth looking at, despite the fact that they're RH-centric.

TBH, particularly in the linux world, real-world experience is more likely to get you a job than a cert. Even hobbyist linux use (e.g. running your own web or mail server, running a linux-based desktop OS) could help get the foot in the door, and help with fielding interview questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Anyone here done Linux+? What did they think of it? Did they go for training or self-study, what materials? Do they work with Linux or Unix? or just a hobby?

I work with Windows but had a Red Hat version on a laptop as a hobby, lost interest eventually due to my MCSA exams.

• Advertisement

FruitLover wrote: »
    Linux+ is very basic, but no harm to have, due to the relative dearth of general linux/Unix-related certs. The Red Hat certs are definitely worth looking at, despite the fact that they're RH-centric.

TBH, particularly in the linux world, real-world experience is more likely to get you a job than a cert. Even hobbyist linux use (e.g. running your own web or mail server, running a linux-based desktop OS) could help get the foot in the door, and help with fielding interview questions.

Thanks appreciate your post..Just gonna mess around with on vmware, and go through tools..Ure right everyone who I know who uses it from a working perspective starts off ad-hoc.Only thing is where I am now the crowd dont use Linux servers..Its something I want to do myself..Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Thanks appreciate your post..Just gonna mess around with on vmware, and go through tools..Ure right everyone who I know who uses it from a working perspective starts off ad-hoc.Only thing is where I am now the crowd dont use Linux servers..Its something I want to do myself..Cheers...

I started out adminning linux professionally by convincing my company to try out linux servers (web, DNS, mail and proxy) rather than continuing with Windows. I drew up comparisons in security, cost and maintenance between the two solutions, and in the majority of areas, linux won easily. This might be something worth trying in your case. Regardless, you should start using a linux-based desktop OS (e.g. Ubuntu) right away.

FruitLover wrote: »
    I started out adminning linux professionally by convincing my company to try out linux servers (web, DNS, mail and proxy) rather than continuing with Windows. I drew up comparisons in security, cost and maintenance between the two solutions, and in the majority of areas, linux won easily. This might be something worth trying in your case. Regardless, you should start using a linux-based desktop OS (e.g. Ubuntu) right away.

Thanks for that,where i was a while back.They used debian version of linux, i have that as my .iso for vmware..I asked the guy at the time which version to start using and he suggested debian..What would you say???Apologies if I'm after misreading your post.

Advertisement