Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Upgrade

Options
  • 05-01-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Here is the dealio:P

Have a PC now for the last two years or so, really getting quite slow. I have admitted to myself that it is the hardware that is the problem, reason being I got an ASUS EEE PC 1000H and it's better than it, that's a 10inch laptop faster than my monster sized tower.

Anyway, I am currently using a AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz, with 1 GB of RAM, video I am not too worried about, I have a Radeon X1300XT/X1600Pro/X1650 Series with 512 MB of ram, which isn't bad

I am wondering how to get the model number of my motherboard, or which socket my processor takes, which it turns out can be one of two kinds.

Also should I upgrade my ram first or go to the NEW AGED WONDERS OF THE DUAL CORE :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

dont upgrade now, well i suppose you can because it will be dirt cheap but wait a little while USB 3.0 is out now so you might as well upgrade to a USB 3.0 compatibable motherboard, and while your doing that make it a DDR3 compatitable as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you speaking from a games perspective or a general day to day perspective?

Games: The machine is ancient and needs a total overhaul, which means new Board, CPU, Ram, Video Card, and possibly power supply.

Day to day: The machine is actually OK and the slowness/sluggishness you've described is highly likely to be due to spyware/viruses and so on rather then the hardware itself. Another 1GB of ram wouldn't hurt and would cost very little from the likes of Ebay or Adverts.ie. Try running spybot and AVG and see what turns up, but at this stage it's probably better to just do a fresh install of XP. But regardless, for day to day (and most definitely gaming) use your machine would be faster then the 1000H.

Your current hardware, assuming its socket 939, can probably take dual cores but because it's such old hardware and the last chance for users to upgrade without changing their board, it's not very economically sound.

Download a program called CPU-Z to tell you what socket and model your board is.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Are you speaking from a games perspective or a general day to day perspective?

Games: The machine is ancient and needs a total overhaul, which means new Board, CPU, Ram, Video Card, and possibly power supply.

Day to day: The machine is actually OK and the slowness/sluggishness you've described is highly likely to be due to spyware/viruses and so on rather then the hardware itself. Another 1GB of ram wouldn't hurt and would cost very little from the likes of Ebay or Adverts.ie. Try running spybot and AVG and see what turns up, but at this stage it's probably better to just do a fresh install of XP. But regardless, for day to day (and most definitely gaming) use your machine would be faster then the 1000H.

Your current hardware, assuming its socket 939, can probably take dual cores but because it's such old hardware and the last chance for users to upgrade without changing their board, it's not very economically sound.

Download a program called CPU-Z to tell you what socket and model your board is.

I was planning on throwing 100 or 150 into this one, forgot to mention I am a feckin' student

I am also well aware of the dangers of spyware and adware, I preform checks everyday, I'm not a dummy just poor:P

Looks like adding RAM is the only major change I can make

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

PC Wizard 2008 should be able to tell you about your hardware.

But you are probably looking at new cpu, motherboard, ram, and maybe psu for new connections.

probably best to get a new sata2 hd which a new motherboard would have

Edit:

You could upgrade ram and processor if you are stuck with current system.
    ram isn't that expensive and you could look around for older processors that are an improvement on yours. The sempron is AMD budget range.

Advertisement