Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi pack beer sold in Restarants for €4.80 per bottle

Options
  • 05-01-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Went to a Chinese restaurant on Friday ordered a round of drinks for myself and my family the bottles were delivered to our table by a waitress and I said thank you – I looked at the one of the bottles (BUD) and it had on the label part of a multi pack not to be sold separately and the other was a bottle of Coors with the same on the label then I looked at the labels again and the Coors was 275ml and the Bud was 300ml and they were both manufactured in the UK. I called the waitress over and asked to see her drinks pricelist before I called the manager she said they did not have one. I then called the manager and explained to her the situation she was sick when I cooped it she basically gave me a load of rubbish and gave us the round for free. This drink is
    Obviously purchased
    in the north in a supermarket and they sell it to unsuspecting customers for €4.80 per bottle. So let this be a warning to you all when you purchase alcohol check the labels before you pay

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What difference does that make though? The restaurant is still going to get their alcohol cheaper than they sell it for. They arent doing anything illegal. The content of the bottle is no different than a non multipack beer they could have given you! ;)

Do they have a liquor license?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I have noticed a few bars doing this also. Does anybody know if there is any legal implications for bars caught doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I have also seen this in a few pubs and clubs for miller, bud etc.
    'not for individual resale' on the label of the bottle
    The only explaination I can think of is that buying boxes from the supermarkets must be cheaper than the wholesalers e.g. when the prices dropped to 17.99 for 24 miller in Dunnes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Its a piss take selling the coors at 4.80 as i picked up a case of 20x275ml for £8 in asda in downpatrick last time i was home.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

There are legal implications to not displaying the price list prominently. If there is a price list it may well be the case that the bottles are listed as being 330ml in which case you're getting done.

I presume the only other legal issue might be between the drinks manufacturers and the restaurant. I don't think the consumer can complain about the source of the drink being a multipack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Its a piss take selling the coors at 4.80 as i picked up a case of 20x275ml for £8 in asda in downpatrick last time i was home.
    Are you seriously comparing the price of booze in a huge supermarket chain in ANOTHER COUNTRY to the price of booze in a restaurant in Dublin? Really? Do you really think that makes any sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Rb wrote: »
    Are you seriously comparing the price of booze in a huge supermarket chain in ANOTHER COUNTRY to the price of booze in a restaurant in Dublin? Really? Do you really think that makes any sense?

Its a fair comparison as they most likely bought the beer from the supermarket chain in the other country and are selling it in dublin at dublin prices. Its the 275mls that makes me think this. I could be wrong but i somehow doubt it considering the 'Multi-Pack' label and the size of bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

My main points are they never had a list of drink prices displayed legaly they should have with the mil of the bottle and price and also they were selling from a multi pack

i.e

Longneck Beer 330ml 4.80
    Lager beer 500ml 5.00

Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Selling beer that you bought in a supermarket in the North is a big no-no. I wouldn't do that if I were you (or them, or anybody really).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Selling beer that you bought in a supermarket in the North is a big no-no. I wouldn't do that if I were you (or them, or anybody really).

Enlight us!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I'd say customs and excise would have a lot to say about this.

Yes, there is some rule or other about alcohol bought in other member states being for personal use only, and they are inclined to be very pernickety about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Well, if they are getting it cheaper than buying it off the wholesaler, why not pass on the savings to the customer???

That is where the ripp-off is. Taking extra profits. Hope C&E clean them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

alexmcred wrote: »

Indeed, you can purchase an amount of of Alcohol and Tobacco from another EU member state and bring it home, but under no circumstances can you sell it !!

No Duty has been paid on that alcohol in the Republic, if a restaurant or bar was caught doing that they would lose their license to sell alcohol as it is essentially tax evasion.

EDIT: Actually in the UK they take it quite seriously
    http://www.visitbritain.co.uk/about-britain/practical-information/customs-and-immigration/eu-customs-allowances.aspx
    Alcohol or Tobacco - quantities tolerated

You are particularly likely to be asked questions if you have more than:

* 3200 cigarettes
    * 400 cigarillos
    * 200 cigars
    * 3kg of smoking tobacco
    * 110 litres of beer
    * 90 litres of wine
    * 20 litres of fortified wine (such as port or sherry)
    * 10 litres of spirits

Penalties for smuggling

The officer will take into account all the factors of the situation and your explanation. If they conclude the goods are for a commercial purpose they may seize them and any vehicle used to transport them, and may not return them to you. If you are caught smuggling or selling alcohol or tobacco goods they may be seized, and for a serious offence you could get up to seven years in prison.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If they are selling beer then they must have a price list the same as bars and clubs must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Another way to tell would be the budweiser being 5%

If it is 5% it most likely came from the north...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

They're fiddling the books aswell ,if they haven't paid for the beer through the company then they can't count it as sold.

My local chinese takeaway do the same thing with cans of coke they deliver, but they're only soft of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Fair play to ya for pulling them on it OP. The problem isn't much to do with where they are sourcing the product as it is to do with the retail cost of alcohol in a pub/restaurant. With the cheap wholesale prices now, you'd be expecting the retail price to drop. I'd have no problem with getting served the drink that you got served, once the retail price reflected the lower cost, but charging 4.80 Euro for something that probably cost around 50-70 cent is just taking the p*ss...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

alexmcred wrote: »

They only care about spirits really..

As long as the bottle is 330ml and the price is reasonable enough I wouldn't have any problem with it. Supermarket beers are much cheaper than they are from suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Dave147 wrote: »
    They only care about spirits really..

As long as the bottle is 330ml and the price is reasonable enough I wouldn't have any problem with it. Supermarket beers are much cheaper than they are from suppliers.

Try coming off the boat from france with 200 bottles of beer .... its a huge markup if your selling it at 400% of cost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

craichoe wrote: »
    Try coming off the boat from france with 200 bottles of beer ....
    My friend brought over 300 bottles of wine in his car with out problem from France *shrug*. To be fair though it is far easier to claim that you're going to drink 200 bottles of wine(assuming you have a reasonble variation of them)/beer then it is to claim you're going to drink 200 bottles of vodka yourself (even if you varied the vodka bottles ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

FREEPHONE 1800-295 295

That's customs tip-off line so feel free to shop them if you're that bitter about it. I forgot about the excise evasion angle in my first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

You've got to watch the aul pour your beer at the table for you and take the bottle away before you've hand a chance to look at it trick too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Rb wrote: »

I was pissed off with Tesco yesterday - they wouldn't provide me with a comfortable chair, nice table, clean glass and a decent bit of heat whilst I drank their €1 bottle of bud. :P

And when I bought some meat they even refused to cook it for me!:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Davo D wrote: »
    You've got to watch the aul pour your beer at the table for you and take the bottle away before you've hand a chance to look at it trick too.

Yea I've seen it done many a times. I've always asked to drink from the bottle.
    To be quite honest I am sick of this carry on too. buying the multi packs in tesco/dunnes and selling them off for more profit.
    It seems to be italian and chinese restaurants doing this too. and the only beer they sell is bud, coors and miller(all supermater specials)
    If its printed on the bottle not to be sold seperatly then there must be someone to report this too. as its catching on and even the a few big pubs are starting to do it in the area(tallaght)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have noticed a few bars doing this also. Does anybody know if there is any legal implications for bars caught doing this?

If you report them to the drinks distributor, such as Diagio, then they'll take that very seriously, and could cut off supplies to that pub/restaurant. Selling the multi-pack beers from the supermarket is not something that Diagio want the pubs they supply, doing.

As others have said, if they were buying the beer from outside the Republic, then it's also tax evasion, which can be reported to Revenue or Customs & Excise.

What is your problem with the shop buying from the cheapest supplier (providing they aren't evading tax)? I think you have an inflated idea of how profitable these food businesses actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

It may not necessarily be bought up north, the 24 packs of Bud that Tesco and others have been selling recently are 300ml bottles bottled in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Came across something similar in a new local "Italian" restaurant in Killarney just before xmas. Ordered 4 cokes, was quiet surprised when cans arrived especially in a restaurant but was even more surprised when they had multipack plasetered across it. Anyway paid the bill, and left.
    Was waiting for the other half as she did some clothes shopping about 20mins later when I looked at the receipt as I was curious as to how the meal was so expensive I had paid 11.80 for 4 cans of coke. so each multipack can cost 2.95! I immediately went back to the restaurant and asked for the manager, made a complaint, questioned her on reselling multipack products, got some BS story about limited stock (I used to work in the bar industry in the town and a bars pubs and resturaunts in town share stock if it is indeed limited).
    I got a refund of 6 euro but it was the satisfaction that was my goal. Is there any where businesses such as this can be reported?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

darc wrote: »
    I was pissed off with Tesco yesterday - they wouldn't provide me with a comfortable chair, nice table, clean glass and a decent bit of heat whilst I drank their 1 bottle of bud. :P

And when I bought some meat they even refused to cook it for me!:D

:eek: bastards!

Advertisement