Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi pack beer sold in Restarants for €4.80 per bottle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jor el wrote: »
    if they were buying the beer from outside the Republic, then it's also tax evasion, which can be reported to Revenue or Customs & Excise.
    How's that then? Are businesses not allowed source products abroad or something?

Or do you mean that if they source it abroad they have to pay customs on it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    How's that then? Are businesses not allowed source products abroad or something?
    They can buy it abroad but specifically spirits require tax to be paid by businesses in Ireland (and any other non EU goods of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Nody wrote: »
    They can buy it abroad but specifically spirits require tax to be paid by businesses in Ireland (and any other non EU goods of course).

right so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Came across something similar in a new local "Italian" restaurant in Killarney just before xmas. Ordered 4 cokes, was quiet surprised when cans arrived especially in a restaurant but was even more surprised when they had multipack plasetered across it. Anyway paid the bill, and left.

Ordered a takeaway pizza last weekend, including a 1.5L bottle of coke.
    Ended up being charged €3 for a 2L bottle, with the "multipack-not to be sold separately" banner across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

there's a supermarket in the tallaght area and lots of stock in it has the multi pack sign on it. i refuse to buy stuff in there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You have to pay duty on wine and beer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

MOH wrote: »
    Ordered a takeaway pizza last weekend, including a 1.5L bottle of coke.
    Ended up being charged €3 for a 2L bottle, with the "multipack-not to be sold separately" banner across it.

So you got an extra 500ml free of charge?

Poor you.

I used to work for an Irish Ferry Company that operated from France to Ireland.

One off the crew who was on-board management had a nice little earner for himself, by purchasing loads off Wines & Spirits, to put it into perspective, you are talking about several off those Milk trolleys loaded to the gills which were offloaded every second day when we arrived back to Ireland.

His customers ranged from restaurants & bars.

This has been going on for years, I know truck drivers that did the same.

When drink is taxed/controlled and bonded like it is in Ireland, you are going to get this happening and always will.

I love food, though in Ireland it is a luxury or you have to pay loads to get something which in italy / France / Spain you will get a far greater service in a service station off a motorway than here in a modestly priced resturant.

After giving years working in Catereing, in Ireland / France / Spain.

I would never eat out in Ireland, the hardest thing to do these days in a kitchen in Ireland is to chop the parsley as everything else is like what you bloody get in a supermarket, yet people will still pay stupid figures for a one plate dish in this country and think that they are getting something special.

Who's for some Tapas in my place tommorow evening...

Sorry..... Rant Over....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If tax was paid I see no problem.
    jor el wrote: »
    If you report them to the drinks distributor, such as Diagio, then they'll take that very seriously, and could cut off supplies to that pub/restaurant. Selling the multi-pack beers from the supermarket is not something that Diagio want the pubs they supply, doing.
    I would not want a place I frequent to be cut off. And I would not want other people to have to pay even more for their beers just because of me.
    What is your problem with the shop buying from the cheapest supplier (providing they aren't evading tax)?
    Exactly. I see no problem
    MOH wrote: »
    Well in future you could try asking for one without the mulipack banner. Of course it could cost you €3.50 in that case, if they want to make the same profit...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Where I work there are Coke can vending machines, and it vended my a can of coke with "Not to be sold sperately" on the side. Now, this is a Coke Branded machine, with silly grinning idiots on the front, holding cans of coke.

Anyway, i rang Coca Cola, and as far as they were concerned it was all above board. They didn't own or stock the vending machine, so it was out of their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

My local is doing it aswell witht he bottles of bud,miller and coors. To be honest it doesnt bother me at all because I dont drink bud,miller or coors, I just dont drink bottles at all. Im not gonna complain about it, I dont want the place shut down or whatever just because their making a big mark up on something I dont drink. If I ever get a pint or a shot with "not to be sold seperately" on it, then I'll complain .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Blisterman wrote: »

Poor you.

Eh, no, I got a larger bottle than I ordered, and I was charged extra for it.
    They don't even sell 2L bottlesd, according to their website, but they're obviously making a bigger profit by splitting up multipacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Then you should have complained about being charged more than the agreed price, and got a refund/refused to pay.

I doubt there is anything illegal about selling multi pack items singly, and if there was, it's between the supplier of the item and the shop/restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mazdagirl

I have been into two pubs that are selling bottles from multipacks apart from the fact they still charging full price for cheap bottles, the bottles are smaller then the ones they get from the normal supplier I complained and got meself 2free drinks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Blisterman wrote: »

Poor you.

for a mod I thought you could have come up with something more, eh, well something more useful!

If I was in a pub, restaurant and I paid full price for a soft drink and I saw it was coming from a multi-pack container I would send it back and demand a refund. The point is the greedy seller is availing of an offer from the producer and not passing on this offer to the consumer in any way.

A lot of these multi-pack items are aimed to sell direct to the seller and not to be bought by a pub etc and for them to sell them on at their inflated prices, you don't see the general public allowed into cash and carry outlets to buy their stuff at trade do you?

The point is the greedy seller is availing of an offer from the producer and not passing on this offer to the consumer in any way.
    He could well be passing it on, and would have charged more for a non-multi pack beer if forced to.
    you don't see the general public allowed into cash and carry outlets to buy their stuff at trade do you?
    A lot of stuff is far more expensive in cash & carries than supermakrtes, nobody I know even bothers getting loans of cards anymore. I never understood why they did not let the public in if they were going to pay VAT, maybe have a minimum order value if they want to stop browsers.

Are there any cheap cash & carry type places open to the public? like in the US with massive trolleys etc.

When I hear that ad saying "cash & carry kitchens", expensive comes into my head.

We know the manager in our local and sometimes get bottles of vodka going home, which we return the next day/week. He was shocked to hear what we were paying, he was buying bottles of vodka in the wholesalers and paying €2 more than us.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

for a mod I thought you could have come up with something more, eh, well something more useful!

Blisterman is not a mod of this forum and as such is a user the same as you and the same as me, I don't see why you even need to bring it up that he's a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Cabaal wrote: »
    Blisterman is not a mod of this forum and as such is a user the same as you and the same as me, I don't see why you even need to bring it up that he's a mod.

I know he's not a mod in this forum but as discussed in a previous thread somewhere, mods are supposed to be bastions of peace and compassion:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

If I was in a pub, restaurant and I paid full price for a soft drink and I saw it was coming from a multi-pack container I would send it back and demand a refund. The point is the greedy seller is availing of an offer from the producer and not passing on this offer to the consumer in any way.

What difference does it make? As long as the price you pay is the same as on the menu and the drink is the same type and amount then where it was sourced is of no matter. You are still paying the same price for the same thing, if you found out that the owner of the restaurant had won a million cans of coke in a competition would you then demand he only serve you a can he purchased from a supplier and provide you a receipt as proof?

The only possible illegality I can see with selling multipack items individually is that they often are devoid of the legally required ingredient and nutrition data which would have been on the multipack box only. I don't think this would be an issue with restaurants/bars though as they are not required to provide this information, it would only apply to retailers.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The only possible illegality I can see with selling multipack items individually is that they often are devoid of the legally required ingredient and nutrition data which would have been on the multipack box only.
    Also I think the weights/volumes are not as strict. I often get half empty bags of crisps in mulitpacks, while other packs might be jam packed, over all it averages out correct. I expect it is put on a quicker production line that fills packs to a wider tolerance.

I have never big variance in volume with mulitpack beers. Also alcohol products do not need to have any nutritional info (which I think is crazy TBH)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I know he's not a mod in this forum but as discussed in a previous thread somewhere, mods are supposed to be bastions of peace and compassion:rolleyes:

On their OWN FORUMS, yes.

Advertisement