Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girls Underage Football

• 05-01-2009 2:52pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My eldest is starting to show a big interest in playing football,I am not sure as she is only 6 but from doing a bit of looking around the net I see there are some under 7 league's in Dublin.These are for boys and girls.

Does anybody have any experience of these...?I would not mind getting her playing and see if she likes it but I have no experience of girls underage football,how long to they play with the boys for..?

Can anybody recommend a good club in Dublin north east.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dub13 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any experience of these...?

Yes, I used to referee at U7-U9 level.

They play on a small pitch, 7-a-side, and I think there might be a rule whereby everyone named on the teamsheet has to get at least some game time.

At that age there really is no difference between the sexes (god almighty, I sound like Michael or Gary there :o).

It's basically just a big ruck though, with everyone chasing the ball.

By far the most dangerous thing about football at this level is the hyped up parents.

Don't become one of them.

Please.

As an added bonus, your missus will become a "Soccer Mom".

Noice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des wrote: »
    They play on a small pitch, 7-a-side, and I think there might be a rule whereby everyone named on the teamsheet has to get at least some game time.

Half a game.

I used to report on games for the local paper. Loved it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am well aware of the crazy parent syndrome,not a hope in me becoming one of them.

I still think she may be a bit young but I am gong to look into it and we will she if she maintains her interest.I suppose what I am looking for is a club were she could progress into a 100% ladies/girls league,I don't think there is much point in starting her with a club mixed with lads and she could only go so far (I am not sure what age they split the boys from the girls).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think they split at around under 13s.

Raheny United might be a good starting point out that way. I had a friend who played for their ladies team and said it was great.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I think they split at around under 13s.

Raheny United might be a good starting point out that way. I had a friend who played for their ladies team and said it was great.

I was thinking about sending the young lad to Raheny United when he gets old enough as I no they have a great under age setup.I was not aware they had girls teams,I will have to look into that.Thanks.

Part of the reason this is coming to a head is the GAA are starting to try and get there claws into her and I don't want to encourage this.Des tell your mate to stop plugging the after school GAA lessons...:)

• Advertisement

Des tell your mate to stop plugging the after school GAA lessons...:)

I'll effing murder her.:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Part of the reason this is coming to a head is the GAA are starting to try and get there claws into her and I don't want to encourage this

How about letting her play what she wants? :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

kaimera wrote: »

thats not how parenting works, you have to live your dreams out through the kids it your second chance man;)

If any of my kids ever come to me and ask to play GAA thats fine with me but I am by no means going to encourage it.I have no time for the GAA and I played a lot of GAA when I was younger and at a good level.

that wouldn't make him a very good soccer mod though :confused:

• Advertisement

that wouldn't make him a very good soccer mod though :confused:
    Cheers Des.

Modding soccer has zilch to do with RL and what kids want to play.

Going by that, yours [whenever] wanting to play soccer wouldnt make you a good Aussie Rules mod would it?

Cheers Des.

Modding soccer has zilch to do with RL and what kids want to play.

Going by that, yours [whenever] wanting to play soccer wouldnt make you a good Aussie Rules mod would it?

Aha - but my kids will smoke and drink :)

Its about time we had the first boards baby (maybe we have had one already I am not sure),you two should get working on that.

and appear in the news.

obviously

/sets video recorder ;)

or whatever the NTL digital equivalent is

video recorder ;)

Dude, get Sky+ will you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I was involved with the under 8's at Drumcondra FC for a short while, they are based right across from Tolka Park on Richmond Road, if that is at all handy for you. Very good, family oriented set up.

The girls get to play below their age too, i.e. a 9 year old girl can play under 8's etc. or at least this is how it was when I was involved. It meant the girl's were generally some of the better players!

There are a bunch of teams around that area, Marino, Raheny, Stella, Belvedere. These should all have underage sides and would differ in the level of training/expectation involved. If it's not too far out of your way, Tolka Rovers up on Griffith Avenue would have the exceptional facilites for any of the clubs around that area of the Northside, with their sports hall it certainly makes training a bit nicer in the winter months. Not sure what underage teams they have though.

Best thing to do is ring around the clubs, this might not be a great time of year to be joining schoolboy/girl teams as I would think it is mid season?

Draupnir wrote: »
    Best thing to do is ring around the clubs, this might not be a great time of year to be joining schoolboy/girl teams as I would think it is mid season?

Thanks for that very helpful,I had a idea it would be mid season but if I do the donkey work now I should have something sorted by the time the season kicks in.

In saying that you no kids I could get all the info and she could go off the idea tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Thanks for that very helpful,I had a idea it would be mid season but if I do the donkey work now I should have something sorted by the time the season kicks in.

In saying that you no kids I could get all the info and she could go off the idea tomorrow.

Exactly, I know they have basketball at Tolka Rovers aswell, and probably a few other things on in the hall midweek, so if nothing else they would be a good option to offer her a few different things to do.

Plus they have a nice bar in the complex that you can avail of!

Draupnir wrote: »
    Exactly, I know they have basketball at Tolka Rovers aswell, and probably a few other things on in the hall midweek, so if nothing else they would be a good option to offer her a few different things to do.

Plus they have a nice bar in the complex that you can avail of!

Sounds good,but for handiness I think I will give Raheny Utd a bell first as they are only down the road.

Advertisement