Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 & HSDPA

• 05-01-2009 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

I have a phone that supports HSDPA. I notice when I'm abroad that it often connects in HSDPA mode on foreign 3G networks, e.g. Vodafone, but I've never seen this on a 3 network anywhere (Ireland and elsewhere). I guess they must be preventing phones from taking up HSDPA bandwidth, perhaps in an attempt to prioritize their mobile broadband offering. It's a bit strange seeing as they advertise HSDPA as a phone feature. Does anyone know what the story is with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Blaster99 wrote: »
    I have a phone that supports HSDPA. I notice when I'm abroad that it often connects in HSDPA mode on foreign 3G networks, e.g. Vodafone, but I've never seen this on a 3 network anywhere (Ireland and elsewhere). I guess they must be preventing phones from taking up HSDPA bandwidth, perhaps in an attempt to prioritize their mobile broadband offering.
    i give you a decisive 'huh'! + have a 3 broadband modemdongleding...highest download speed with full 3G: 56kbps!!!
    If it's pathetic, it's 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭cullenswood

My C905 uses it in Ireland I'm fairly sure. The H frequently comes up instead of 3G on the top of my screen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My E71 keeps on switching between saying 3G and 3.5G, but I expect that is something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i've had 3.5G coverage regularly on 3 ireland, 3 sweden and 3 uk

edit: and if they are prioritising BB no one seems to have noticed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Strange, I've never seen it on a 3 network. Maybe I should call customer services for a laugh.

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote: »
    Strange, I've never seen it on a 3 network. Maybe I should call customer services for a laugh.

i'll save you the bother:

i'm going to ask you to turn your phone off and take the battery out sir

now i'm going to go ahead and ask you to factory reset your phone

emmmmmmmmm.....i'm afraid i can't help you sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3's network has been 100% HSDPA since July 2008, in certain areas if the country (Munster and and parts of the midlands) the network has been upgraded (You will notice this on newer models SonyEricsson K660i, C905 etc.. where the 3G icon is now replaced with a H). In areas where the network has not received the second round of upgrades the phone only goes onto the HSDPA network when the browser is activated (you will notice this on a Nokia/LG when browsing the icon changes from 3G to 3.5G), when not browsing the phone has a normal 3G connection for MMS, video calling etc.... All areas of the country are due to be upgraded within the next couple of months. I was in Italy last July and my phone (SE K660) had a constant 'H' and in London in early Dec it has the 'H' also. Hopes this clears it up

Walkman wrote: »
    In areas where the network has not received the second round of upgrades the phone only goes onto the HSDPA network when the browser is activated (you will notice this on a Nokia/LG when browsing the icon changes from 3G to 3.5G), when not browsing the phone has a normal 3G connection for MMS, video calling etc....

that seems to be right :) i just tried it on my phone in stockholm and it worked exactly as you said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sam Vimes wrote: »

i'm going to ask you to turn your phone off and take the battery out sir

he he...

the funny thing is it might actually work in blaster99's case:D

i'm the same boat as robin, usually in the 3G or the high speed 3.5G club...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i've had 3.5G coverage regularly on 3 ireland, 3 sweden and 3 uk

edit: and if they are prioritising BB no one seems to have noticed

3.5G Here too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement