Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Pubs in Dublin

Options
  • 05-01-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I’m moving to Dublin soon and I’m interested in getting into the local arts scene. Is there any pub in Dublin that is known as a hang out for the Arts people in Dublin. If yes, does anyone drink at them and what do you think of them for drinking in?
    Cheers for any response.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭calahans

Grogans on South William St. Old style pub with great character. Loads of art on the walls and big mixed crowd, but definitely arty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Nice Thread!
    I visited a street art graffitti exhibit in Dakota recently but I'm not sure if its considered an arty pub. Maybe it is for the location as it's near Grogans. What about the old Spy bar on the same street The South William or the George Bernard Shaw towards Rathmines? I dont have a degree in art but I should have a masters in drinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Pick somewhere really obscure and 'old man pub', has to have at least one character in the corner. An old part of Dublin like Stoneybatter or up past Summerhill is good. So is a little nooky street of somewhere central like O'Connell St. Peep over in the corner and you will find a little crowd of actors with delighted looks in the place, having discovered it!;):D

There is usually a 'local' for every theatre, usually close (say the Flowing Tide for the Abbey, etc) every now and then it will get 'reinvented' for a change :)

Mostly when people find a haven they are hush hush about it, ha ha!

Would 2nd or 3rd Grogans as an old fave..The Globe maybe younger muso crowd. Generally a lot of arty heads tend to avoid arty pubs tho!!

O'Connells in Portobello good craic...now I am rambling! Not even working in The Pale at the mo.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

You have to check out the George Bernard Shaw, it hosts exhibitions and launches from time to time. Very down to earth, I love it. Maybe try McGruders and Anseo too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ocluggg

Grogan's isn't what it used to be for over 10 years now, expect people who want to be arty, and who think hanging on to the coat tails of real writers and artists who drink there now and again defines them as bohemian. For would be's and wanna be's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement