Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Im Looking For a First Time Car..

Options
  • 05-01-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Im looking for a first time car, i want any car that will get me from A to B in some sort of style at least, so if you cold reccomend any cars which are suited to 1st time drivers, Id be very grateful...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This would be better suited to the Motors forum...

What kind of budget are you looking at? Are you qualified at all?

For a learner, anything will do - you will very likely damage it at some stage of your learning process.... style shouldn't matter. Small, agile cars are best, personal choice would be a Fiat Panda; the small Toyota's (Yaris/Aygo) are meant to be quite good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

If you want cheap and stylish go for a Mazda 323f...

They're about ten years old, they come in 1.3 or 1.5 petrol engine and it would cost you around €1500.

Mazda_323_II_V6_Red.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I always found ford, a very solid, good image and reliable car that are very reasonably priced. the ford focus is a lovely car, with decent sized engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I'm currently looking at the Opel Corsa 2001 onwards. Modern looking car, Opel is reliable and cheap to repair, and the Corsa is very economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

1996 Volkswagon Polo's are the way to go. Still have a bit of style, small (a definite when learning) and great to drive and very very dependable. Also have power steering which is great for roundabouts etc (you can concentrate easier I found).

Take your time deciding and best of luck to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Might be a bit pricey for a learner car (€6,000-€7000 for a 2006), but i'd recommend the suzuki swift to any young driver - 1.3 engine so cheap to tax and insure, but drives like a mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

There of course if this is more what you are looking for...

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=313744&r=s.php%3Fm%3D25%26amp%3Bg%3D0

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

There are lots of similar threads on this - generally you'd be looking at a Punto, Fiesta, Yaris (Fiesta would be my pref there).

Don't spend any more than €2-3K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 michael_23

Don't spend any more than €2-3K

Totally agree, dont spend more than 3g on a new car. You should check out merlin car auctions. I got my first car there. Some great deals to be had there but beware of the risk, sold as seen etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

600 euro Micra is the way to go...like me!

But if I could choose a car to buy, I'd probably go for a decent Punto, I had a 01 Sportin and it was a great car to drive. Looked pretty good and was nippy enough.

Just be sure to got a decent one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

budget info from the op would be helpful....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Might be a bit pricey for a learner car (€6,000-€7000 for a 2006), but i'd recommend the suzuki swift to any young driver - 1.3 engine so cheap to tax and insure, but drives like a mini.

I'd say you'd be lucky to get an 06' Swift for that. But they do look nice. I'd say men can only get away with it in the black

Advertisement