Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead Space

• 05-01-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭

So guys whats the verdict? I only picked it up for like 10 mins... somethin about fixing a tram and ive killed or dismantled i should say 3 creatures. Not what i expected.

Anyone gone far in the game? Im playin COD 4 at the moment so its takin priority!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ya I was going to pick it up too but I bought COD4 and that Tom Clancy Game instead both of which I am enjoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

My girlfriend bought it for me as a Christmas pressie.

I'm on Chapter 5 now... loving it. Probably the most atmospheric game I've ever played that's like an interactive hybrid of Event Horizon and the Thing. Fantastic thus far and, from what I've heard, it only gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I really enjoyed it. Some jumpy moments and the necessity of being accurate with your shots (body shots do f*** all, you need to take the beasties apart) really adds to the gameplay.

It's got atmosphere in shedloads and I loved the zero G bits.

HATED the on-the-rails bits. But I alway hate them (hated them in GOW2 as well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I didnt like it, i wanted too but it never picked up for me.

Didnt find it scary really more jumpy moments then anything else.

plus i didnt like the way isacc dosent talk , just kinda made me feel un attached to him.

There wasent anything specific i just found it kinda boring. Lots of people loved it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

RAIN wrote: »
    plus i didnt like the way isacc dosent talk , just kinda made me feel un attached to him.

Agree with you 100% on that. Makes you feel like you're missing out on something, y'know? Like the game is broken and you're missing some of the speech.

Found Half Life the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

The reverend gives this game 1 1/2 thumbs up.

Nothing mind blowing and doesnt push and boundries of gaming but its still very enjoyable and arrived at a time where there was a massive lull in game releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Heard it was good but very short, was planning on buying it but heard would be better off renting it for a week.Any one confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

I rented it and completed it on normal in 9 hours.Although short it makes up for it in sheer quality.Imo its one of the best games of the year and is a stand out to the regular shooters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Better than Bio Shock (which i managed to lose somehow :-( )?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Have to say it is great buy playing it on hard is a pain in the arse, you never have enough ammo / health. Can't afford to buy new equipment in the shops so you feel like you're constantly missing out on something.
    As stated before, it's not scary just loud and jumpy. I've had to turn the volume way down just for it to be at a normal volume when something exciting happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

It's a great game alright. I enjoyed every minute of it. Really atmospheric and I found it the perfect change of pace from COD. I bought this and Far Cry 2 at the same time and put this on the backburner til I completed FC2. This one stands out in memory as one of my favourites of 08 while longer games like GTA4 and FC2 have faded and ultimately leave you regretting putting so much time into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Making my way through it, but watched my friend play through the whole game start till end last week so a lot of the big set-pieces and story are spoiled to me. Still an outstanding game.

**SPOILERS**

Theres more horror to this than games like the resident Evil series (not saying much I know) but some of the audio logs are a little chilling .
    -Engineer complaining about his shift mate is insane and pulling his own teeth out.
    -Guy sawing his own legs and arm off so he wont hurt anyone when he turned.
    -Doctor detailing his experiment, the subject of which "volunteered and is compliant", even though you can hear "Who are you? Let me go." and the Doctor making a hole in the cranium to inject through *drill whirs* *screams*

And for those that have finished it, the last boss!! Technically easy boss fight but by god is it amazing to watch in motion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Trilla wrote: »
    Better than Bio Shock (which i managed to lose somehow :-( )?
    I'll have to hold you to that. If i ever get around to buying it that is :P

Dead Space is a game to be enjoyed on a Hi-Def TV with either surround sound or wireless headphones in a dark room. Very chilling then. It takes a big leaf out of Bioshock's book with regards to the way the story is told to you. Very cinematic and requires good aim, which you get used to over time. The dismemberment is a neat addition, leading to unnerving moments when you realise you've ran out of ammo and some creature is running at you.

My only issue with the game is the way you couldn't skip through the death sequences and some of those were lengthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 UnderDawg2

I was enjoying this, my console is knackered.

Very like DOOM for the original xbox in regards to the atmosphere. Have to agree with boneyarsebogman in relation to the playing this game with surround sound and in the dark.

Advertisement