Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anschutz 525

Options
  • 05-01-2009 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi Folks Happy New Year,

I'm thinking of getting a second .22. The bolt action really hooked me but a VERY clean Anschutz 525 semi auto in .22 has been offered to me at 600Euro. The gun is about 9 months old and has had little use. The chap who owned it is now jobless so shooting has to take a back seat. Am still keeping the bolt action though.
    One or two people have said to me the 525 is troublesome. Whats the general consensus? Ive not heard of a bad Anschutz before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

In my opinion you wont get a bad one either.
    The 525 works a treat with cci sub's and it's as accurate as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

foxhunter wrote: »
    In my opinion you wont get a bad one either.
    The 525 works a treat with cci sub's and it's as accurate as hell.

imo no semi is as accurate as a bolt, and the reason i say this is because my m8 has an anschutz semi and his grouping is nowhere as good as when he uses my bolt cz and vice verse when i use his vs mine, i think its down to the semi action staying open for a a slight bit longer/shorter with each shot. and i would never recommend subs in a semi i find they make them jam not enough power to recoil the action, but thats just my 2 pence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I've no experience with anschutz, but if its the same magazine as the krico .22 semi, just be careful with it as the lips are prone to bending and will loose shape if you put it in your back pocket and sit on it.

also magazines are likely to be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I know there was a problen with the housing cracking on a good number of them at the rear of the opening for the bolt handle :eek: And AFAIK there was a problem with the importer standing over them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i had a anschutz auto in 22 ,20 years ago a gun i did not like always a problem with jamming ,i bought a cz, brno .a 1974 year , it out shot most 22 s in the parish i gave it to my mate a few years ago he shot up till this year and sold it for a 17 wmr . i rang john lambert only yesterday for another one in .22 the cheap price shocked me . the cz i would not pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The Anschutz semis used to do a neat self-dissassembly trick when the crappy pot-metal receiver started to wear. No idea if the design issue was resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I had one for years, since traded against a Walther G-22 (:rolleyes:).

It was a decent enough rifle, working fine with pretty much all the ammunition I fed it (both sub and supersonic), except Eley for some reason, which gave an endless succession of duds, failures to feed, failures to extract, etc, etc.
    It wasn't too fussy about cleaning, at least no more so than any other .22 semi-auto I've seen, and was certainly much better than the current Walther in that regard. They're all fussy when compared to bolt actions.

Parts were pricy, I remember paying £45 (in the old money) for a magazine back sometime in the early '80s!

I don't know about the barrels and the woodwork, but the receivers were (are?) made in Italy by Marocchi out of, as civdef has said, recycled saucepans. I never had any trouble with mine falling apart though.

These rifles appear to be a badge engineering job by Anschutz in order to have a semi-auto in their lineup and while it's a perfectly good rifle in general and is probably at the top end of semi-automatics, it's certainly not in the same league as their bolt action offerings.
    Buy with confidence, but be aware that the name stamped in the receiver is about the only thing it shares with the rest of the Anschutz range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Thanks Lads, I think I might pass on this one. Cracked receivers, self disassembly, inaccuracy, not even made by Anschutz etc This stuff causes a lack of confidence in a gun and if I tried to change in a year or two I would find it difficult to trade in or sell. Pity, it looked good in stainless.
    Any recommendations on a good semi auto? Can the little Browning 22 still be bought? I know a Browning bought in 1964 which still functions perfectly (unlike the owner).

Its hard to beat a krico .22 automatic, speaking from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Jonty wrote: »
    Its hard to beat a krico .22 automatic, speaking from experience.

is that the rifle thats semi and bolt ??

• Advertisement

pm. wrote: »
    is that the rifle thats semi and bolt ??

Yeah thats the one. you just push in the cocking handle to make it a single shot bolt action, and then when you've fired, pull it out and manually cycle the action to empty the spent round and chamber the next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

That Krico sounds interesting. Who is the dealer for them here? I havent seen one on a shelf yet and the Krico website doesnt mention .22's at all. If I put as much effort into work as I do into chasing guns I'd be a millionaire.

Advertisement