Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3V

Options
  • 05-01-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I hope this is the right place to post this in. I'm just wondering if anyone else uses these cards. They are basically a credit card, but except they are prepaid and they also act as a visa as well. I find them to be really fantastic, and their is no worry about paying bills or debts. I've got a lot stuff from ebay, play, amazon and other sites as well. It is also possible to register your 3V voucher with paypal.

I also love the way you can check your balance on the 3V site, so that you'll know where you are as regards your money. I bought a lot cds and other highly collectable items that you can'nt get in this country which is really great. So what do you think of 3V and have you had any problems with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Never had any issues, but just one quick question. Are you on commission? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

chin_grin wrote: »
    Never had any issues, but just one quick question. Are you on commission? :D

Not I'm not on commision. I am just very curious as to who uses them and what they think of them. I also never hear anybody talking about them either. Its also good that you've had no issues so far.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There very popular in Ireland, which is how TSB are making a profit off them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I would far prefer to use my real credit card or visa debit card. 3V's charges are outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

eth0_ wrote: »
    I would far prefer to use my real credit card or visa debit card. 3V's charges are outrageous.
    True, but I know I'd max out a credit card in no time. I'm an impulse buyer sometimes.

=-=

OP. I use 3v for Paypal a few times in the past. Nice and handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Handy, but the charges are steep and I begrudge leaving them the leftover 2 quid on used cards all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

What are the charges on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I use them!
    I'd use them more if there were more Payzone outlets...I actually had to explain to one shop what they were and that they did infact have the facility to sell them...
    They could be so much more popular I think!

But a lifesaver for me as I see Credit Card limits as more of a goal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Fajitas! wrote: »
    What are the charges on them?

From https://www.3v.ie/about_3V_vouchers.html
    3V Vouchers are available for values of €20, €30, €40 etc., up to a maximum value of €350. There is no purchase fee for €20 3V Vouchers. The purchase fee for 3V Vouchers with values from €30 to €100 is €2.50 and for all 3V Vouchers with a value of more than €100, the purchase fee is €5.

I've used them a few times, rather than my credit card, for online retailers where a minority of reviewers had been mistakenly over charged or for a site that I couldnt get a relaible review for.

You can transfer any remaining funds onto your next 3V card. I'll use them again but only for sites where I have a concern for security and am prepared to take a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

Handy, but the charges are steep and I begrudge leaving them the leftover 2 quid on used cards all the time...

There is a way of getiing/using the little bit of cash left on a voucher, what i do is when i have some cash left on a voucher I delete the credit card voucher from Paypal go set up another email address then set up another paypal account with my new email and then add the voucher and send the amount left on the voucher to my main paypal account accept it and use it with my next voucher granted this only works if your buying from Ebay but I do most if not all my buying from there.

Try it this way and you will save money the last time I did this I gathered over 20 quid for several vouchers.

• Advertisement

www.dealextreme.com are good at spending that last euro. So is ebay at times. All else fails, send it to: [ssf]here[/ssf]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I use 3V, Probably spend about €200 total.

I do not think the charges are ridiculous.

Say.. Say you were to buy a game for €60.

It would cost a total of €62.50 with 3V.

With 21% intrest with a credit card, It would be €72.60....

I usually buy a €20 mind you :D

Also, I do use DX alot aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Einstein wrote: »
    I use them!
    I'd use them more if there were more Payzone outlets...I actually had to explain to one shop what they were and that they did infact have the facility to sell them...
    They could be so much more popular I think!

But a lifesaver for me as I see Credit Card limits as more of a goal

That happened to me as well, only they did'nt sell them at that shop. I definitly think they should be made more available, instead of only selling them in Centra's, and the like.:mad: If they sold them at the square that would be fantastic, and very handy for me.:D
    There is a way of getiing/using the little bit of cash left on a voucher, what i do is when i have some cash left on a voucher I delete the credit card voucher from Paypal go set up another email address then set up another paypal account with my new email and then add the voucher and send the amount left on the voucher to my main paypal account accept it and use it with my next voucher granted this only works if your buying from Ebay but I do most if not all my buying from there.

Try it this way and you will save money the last time I did this I gathered over 20 quid for several vouchers.

Thanks a lot, thats really great advice, I'll give it a try next time.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I would love if they let you buy the vouchers online by Laser! I know, it sort of defeats the purpose in a way, but I think almost everyone has a Laser facility on their ATM cards now, and non-Irish websites don't accept Laser for the most part.

I've yet to use my 3V card because there isn't an outlet that sells the vouchers anywhere near me, according to the website. Which is a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

have one myself,got rid of the cred card,only problem i ever had with 3v is with paypal,due to my own laziness i never confirmed and linked the cards,so my account got locked up one day,ring paypal and explain that is 3v and they are pretty cool about it then,another reason my account would had been locked was i was adding and removing so many cards,so since paypal know its 3v im useing they are cool with it

shellyboo wrote: »
    I would love if they let you buy the vouchers online by Laser! I know, it sort of defeats the purpose in a way, but I think almost everyone has a Laser facility on their ATM cards now, and non-Irish websites don't accept Laser for the most part.
    Seems they won't accept "Irish" Laser, but this should be changing next year. I'm f**ked when it does, cos I'll be spending a lot more :(

• There is a way of getiing/using the little bit of cash left on a voucher, what i do is when i have some cash left on a voucher I delete the credit card voucher from Paypal go set up another email address then set up another paypal account with my new email and then add the voucher and send the amount left on the voucher to my main paypal account accept it and use it with my next voucher granted this only works if your buying from Ebay but I do most if not all my buying from there.

When you add the voucher the second time do PayPal charge the authorisation fee again? Y'know the $1 thingy that works out at €0.72....I know they refund it but it takes them 9 days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

the_syco wrote: »
    Seems they won't accept "Irish" Laser, but this should be changing next year. I'm f**ked when it does, cos I'll be spending a lot more :(

Well, Laser is exclusively Irish, I thought... just a lot of sites that accept Maestro won't accept a Laser card, even though it's Maestro. Meh, I don't really understand it... but if that's changing then great!

shellyboo wrote: »
    Well, Laser is exclusively Irish, I thought... just a lot of sites that accept Maestro won't accept a Laser card, even though it's Maestro. Meh, I don't really understand it... but if that's changing then great!
    Sorry, yeah, the Maestro is changing, not the Laser. Got mixed up there.

Advertisement