Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE: Personal Issues forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

ntlbell wrote: »
    Impossible to track I'd say ;) Or you will be long long dead by the time they get to you

Well which one is it: Impossible or possible?
    oh come on Dev OS/Browser version + colour depth = fingerprint?

what's the most common OS? Browser....+ colour depth? hardly DNA stuff now lol

You're leaving out the "etc etc" bit. The point is that there are other pieces of info that can be used to track someone.
    tracking someone's identitiy when you have nothing to start with based on an OS fingerprint and some IP in thailand that's bounced around the globe is going to be next to impossible the reality of it is to get away with in boards you could hop of one random proxy and no one's going to be botherd their hole tracing you back not even one hop

Next to impossible isn't impossible. The whole point is that we're being theoretical and pedantic. In that context, next to impossible isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

javaboy wrote: »
    Well which one is it: Impossible or possible?

You're leaving out the "etc etc" bit. The point is that there are other pieces of info that can be used to track someone.

Next to impossible isn't impossible. The whole point is that we're being theoretical and pedantic. In that context, next to impossible isn't good enough.

today from the first one i said with technology today it would be impossible if it was done as I said in the first post

will that exact method work in 50 years time I don't know but today yes it would be impossible to track.

there's no etc etc...there's not much more you can get from an apache log if that's what we're discussing with boards and you can only get that information if the person left it behind would it be possible to leave no unique information that in anyway be possible to track back to you?

yes very much so

so today you can do it and would be impossible to track

hows that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

cornbb wrote: »
    yep, thats what I said...

Prob should have read the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I trust the mods of PI to be honest. And if I didn't trust the mods and had a problem with them, then i wouldn't post there.

Also, your IP is usually a dynamic IP address and therefore changes regularly. If you were to be traced, you would be traced on a lot more of the merits of an IP address, and tbh, even without going into the large detail that DeVore mentioned, the crucial aspect of a persons writing. Each person types a certain way and there are people qualified to analyse handwriting.

Then there's your hard drive. Even by deleting information off your comouter, you are making it 'unreadable', not actually deleting anything at all. So you are never anonymous to be honest, and there's more to it than the IP. You can make it almost impossible, but it's very difficult to escape when you have the Garda Computer Investigation Unit popping a cap in yo' ass.

I trust the mods of PI to be honest. And if I didn't trust the mods and had a problem with them, then i wouldn't post there.

Also, your IP is usually a dynamic IP address and therefore changes regularly. If you were to be traced, you would be traced on a lot more of the merits of an IP address, and tbh, even without going into the large detail that DeVore mentioned, the crucial aspect of a persons writing. Each person types a certain way and there are people qualified to analyse handwriting.

Then there's your hard drive. Even by deleting information off your comouter, you are making it 'unreadable', not actually deleting anything at all. So you are never anonymous to be honest, and there's more to it than the IP. You can make it almost impossible, but it's very difficult to escape when you have the Garda Computer Investigation Unit popping a cap in yo' ass.

How can you analyse hand writing in 1's and 0's? you meant how someone types right?

You can use DBAN it's what the government use to remove all data from a hard drive there is absolute no way to recover after it, how do they get to the HDD how do they find you in the first place?

I have met the Irish "cyber crime squad" on many occasions and have listened to thier talks at many events.

I could tell you stories which they told us to "impress" that would make you cry with laughter...if you're counting on the irish gurada to catch someone you'll be waiting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The bear is worried now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You can use DBAN it's what the government use to remove all data from a hard drive there is absolute no way to recover after it,

That's not entirely true. But the sheer cost and equipment needed to recover data off a multi formatted drive is well above the benefits for getting any data. Time is a major factor as well. A multi formatted encrypted drive is another story.

That's not entirely true. But the sheer cost and equipment needed to recover data off a multi formatted drive is well above the benefits for getting any data. Time is a major factor as well. A multi formatted encrypted drive is another story.

could use a bootable CD with no HDD...

you could f*ck the HDD into a hydrolic crusher...you could...use a bootable USB drive and shove it up your jaxy...

the options are truly endless

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

could use a bootable CD with no HDD...

you could f*ck the HDD into a hydrolic crusher...you could...use a bootable USB drive and shove it up your jaxy...

the options are truly endless

Starting to get a bit kinky there ntlbell. Take it to "sex and sexuality".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

To be honest, it seems like a hell of a lot of effort just to post anon in PI about your itchy man bits.. :D

• Advertisement

SteveC wrote: »
    Seems like a hell of a lot of effort just to post anon in PI about your itchy man bits tbh.. :D

TBH if I had half the problems people in PI do Dev and the lads giggling about them would be the very least of my worries lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

The mods can muppetcheck unregistered posters and it may or may not show a match with the registered (but they wont see the IP).

Personally I think posters should be made aware of this if they are posting unregged. The mods can be privy to an awful lot of personal information if they choose to use the muppetcheck function when its not necessary.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

fits wrote: »
    Personally I think posters should be made aware of this if they are posting unregged. The mods can be privy to an awful lot of personal information if they choose to use the muppetcheck function when its not necessary.

Somebody hasn't read the PI Charter:
    Gordon wrote:
    Anyone can post anonymously by logging out (if registered) and posting a reply. If you are not registered you may still post, your nickname would be seen as "Unregistered". Also, your name and IP address will not be shown to the general public. However, this cannot be abused, please. The owners/Administrators of boards.ie do have the powers to view any post's IP address but only as a last resort.

As for muppetcheck, that rarely tells you much of any use. Personally, I have never used it.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Somebody hasn't read the PI Charter:

You are right, I havent. Along with 90% of PI posters I'd imagine.

As for muppetcheck, that rarely tells you much of any use. Personally, I have never used it.

Well you dont need to use it.

Sometimes it does tell you things though and people should be warned of that. It wouldnt be that difficult to put a small warning on the unreg posting page would it?

It wouldnt be that difficult to put a small warning on the unreg posting page would it?

I'm pretty sure CuLT probably has enough to be doing.
    It's in the charter, people have only themselves to blame if they don't read it.
    No PI Mod has ever abused their position as far as I'm aware and were they to do so, they would be stripped of their modship pretty sharpish.
    It is very difficult to become a PI mod because the requirements are strict and there are very few who come up to the grade.

You are right, I havent. Along with 90% of PI posters I'd imagine.

Well you dont need to use it.

Sometimes it does tell you things though and people should be warned of that. It wouldnt be that difficult to put a small warning on the unreg posting page would it?

If an unregged poster gives the mods cause to use muppet check then they probably aren't posting anything genuine anyway so deserve to have their anonymity compromised.

Yes the mods can theoretically do it but the fact is they are trusted people who wouldn't abuse it. As Beru said, there is a warning in the charter about it. Imo it's only there for the sake of completeness and to warn the muppets that posting unregged is not a free for all.

Putting an additional more high profile warning in the unreg page itself would probably only scare off genuine people with problems unnecessarily.

I
    It is very difficult to become a PI mod because the requirements are strict and there are very few who come up to the grade.

It's hard to find boring farts under 40 but i know, there's exceptions.

It's hard to find boring farts under 40 but i know, there's exceptions.

Another hilerious comment from ntlbell, you should bottle that, you'd make a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

SteveC wrote: »
    Seems like a hell of a lot of effort just to post anon in PI about your itchy man bits tbh.. :D

I'm not normally a grammar nazi but dude - would a comma have killed you? I thought my secret was out for a second there! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

tbh wrote: »
    I'm not normally a grammar nazi but dude - would a comma have killed you? I thought my secret was out for a second there! :D
    hehe, fixed it.. sorry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

watch out for cctv cameras :cool:

problem solved

Another hilerious comment from ntlbell, you should bottle that, you'd make a fortune.

I wasn't trying to amuse you.

As Beru said, there is a warning in the charter about it. Imo it's only there for the sake of completeness and to warn the muppets that posting unregged is not a free for all.

Ok I've read the charter now and outside of 'you may not be as anonymous as you think' there is no truly explicit warning that mods and admins can link unregged posts with regged accounts.

I know this is common knowledge for a lot of people, but not for everyone.

Ok I've read the charter now and outside of 'you may not be as anonymous as you think' there is no truly explicit warning that mods and admins can link unregged posts with regged accounts.

Maybe it was considered unnecessary scaremongering to include the details of exactly how they could match people up. From what the PI mods have said, it's almost never used and it's certainly never abused. So the existing warning is sufficient imo.
    I know this is common knowledge for a lot of people, but not for everyone

Fair point. I would have assumed IP checks could be performed but yes a lot of people wouldn't. But since it really only affects people who are trolling etc. I don't think there's an issue really.

Ok, I'm not sure of the exact numbers but there are approximately 5 PI mods, 5 Smods, and 5 Admins. Thats 15 people whose integrity users rely on not to run unnecessary muppetchecks/IP checks. Thats a *lot* of people. Especially with posts of a potentially very delicate nature.

I think people should be made aware of this when posting unregged. Surely theres nothing to fear from that?

Ok, I'm not sure of the exact numbers but there are approximately 5 PI mods, 5 Smods, and 5 Admins. Thats 15 people whose integrity users rely on not to run unnecessary muppetchecks/IP checks. Thats a *lot* of people. Especially with posts of a potentially very delicate nature.

I think people should be made aware of this when posting unregged. Surely theres nothing to fear from that?

i thought people were already aware of it. Cloud could even read your pms if he wanted to, it's his website.

if you're worried about them having your ip, post unregged via this site:http://proxify.net/

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i thought people were already aware of it. Cloud could even read your pms if he wanted to, it's his website.

Not everyone is computer literate or savvy.

Not everyone is computer literate or savvy.

well for all those people, i've just explained how to do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If an unregged poster gives the mods cause to use muppet check then they probably aren't posting anything genuine anyway so deserve to have their anonymity compromised.

It used to be possible for PI mods to do that before the modutils were upgraded it is not possible now.

When it was possible I did use it when we had a spate of threads being started unregi to pull the piss from people invading from a different site.
    The posts looked trolly and the muppet check showed other unregi troll tastic posts.

Even when it was possible for a me as a PI mod to muppetcheck an unregi post due to how most people do not have an fixed I.P address really the chances of actually knowing conclusively who it was is pretty slim.

Say if someone was to post unregi from a college then that post is on the same I.P. as easily posts by over 50 users.

I have seen unregi posts by people which just by reading them know who it is by the style, syntax and content but I would never out them or even bring the topic up for discussion with them via boards or in person unless they choose to do so with me ( and really that is sometimes the last thing you want after a few drinks at a beers ) for that would be a major breach of ethics imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It used to be possible for PI mods to do that before the modutils were upgraded it is not possible now.
    Ah, didn't realise that, ignore me.

Advertisement