Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girlfriend carries condoms...

Options
  • 05-01-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

I have been with my girlfriend for over a year and she is on the pill. I see her every weekend. During Xmas I was with her and getting keys out of her handbag (at her request) and I saw that she had two condoms in her bag (unopened for you smartasses).

They are actually mine from a pack I bought about 18 months ago and before I met her. I teased her about why she would carry them as we do not use them.

She lauged it off and in truth gave me no plausible explanation. I didnt dwell on it as I didnt want any arguments during xmas. She admitted that she would be concerned if I was carrying them around.

What shoud I think of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

TBH, 90% of all items found in women's handbags don't belong there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You gave them to her...

I'd be more worried if they weren't there:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Most likely she has them in there to double up if she is late or forgets to take the pill and things get hot and heavy between ye.
    Also, she might have them in there as a declaration of her sexual liberation and responsibility towards contraception.

However, all hypothesises aside, if you think she is cheating on you with your own condoms, ask her outright!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

What if you two went away on some romantic weekend and she accidently forgot to bring/take her pill, then you'd need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hardly anything to worry about dude. Girls will carry all kinds of things in their hand bags, and not always think too deeply about why something is in there.

Add in the fact that a lot of girls tend to put stuff into their bag to cover "eventualities" outside of themselves, that is to say, the possible needs of other people.

I have known plenty of girls to carry condoms at all times, simply because you never know whats gonna happen. I have also known girls to carry condoms simply because a friend might need them some night.

That said, if you really want to make an issue of it you need to ask yourself why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

What shoud I think of this?

That she's a responsible individual? That she's carrying them around in case a friend, male or female, needs one? Or perhaps incase she needs them with you (pills get forgotten/ tummy bugs happen)?

There's a lot of very plausible reasons for your gf to carry condoms tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

In a former life as mime artist/street performer extradonaire, I used to make balloon animals for people using nothing more than a simple latex sheath and some air.

Perhaps your g/f is about to become engaged in a similiar occupation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They are actually mine from a pack I bought about 18 months ago and before I met her.

How did you recognise them as yours? Do you get your condoms monogrammed? ;)

She could be carrying them in case any of her friends get caught short?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

You gave them to her...

I'd be more worried if they weren't there:eek:

In fairness I didnt give them to her...but its interesting to note that she would have issues with me carrying them around...

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    How did you recognise them as yours? Do you get your condoms monogrammed? ;)

She could be carrying them in case any of her friends get caught short?

Well the thing is we are both in our early 30s and, without exaggeration, all her friends are married and some with kids. She doesnt 'go out' as such to nightclubs, pubs etc and mad night boozy nights out with the girls. And those without kids are trying to get pregnant...

So really there is no situation where that would arise...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Last time I gave a condom to someone who needed one was not a friend but a rather drunk girl who was arguing with a broken vending machine in the ladies toilets.
    I have nearly always had condoms in my bag even when I was in a long term relationship and not using them.

If you have issue with them being in your gf bag you need to have a think about it and figure out what your issues are and then talk to you gf rationally rather then blurting out something stupid like accusing her of wanting the cheat on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭CeilingCat

Backup in case of forgotten pills and/or stomach bugs.... also maybe she was on antibiotics, which can lessen the effects of the pill. I've done that often, just in case.

I've also often carried around stuff I didn't need, just because.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Well if you bought them 18 months ago and she hasn't used them then you have nothing to be paranoid about. They are just backup.

Well if you bought them 18 months ago and she hasn't used them then you have nothing to be paranoid about. They are just backup.

They are two from a box of 18 and I have loads left.

I am thinking of marking them with some sort of invisible ink and checking every few weeks to see it the same ones are still there..lol..or expertly putting chilly pepper under the foil...:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Ouch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Last time I gave a condom to someone who needed one was not a friend but a rather drunk girl who was arguing with a broken vending machine in the ladies toilets.
    I have nearly always had condoms in my bag even when I was in a long term relationship and not using them.

I've done that too - i was involved in sexual health campaigns while in college, so people would have known my face as 'oh, that girl with all the condoms', so i occasionally was asked for one on random nights out.

OP, handbags are like the TARDIS, all sorts of things end up in there. I have a screwdriver in mine (has proven handy) and all sorts of other junk. I also have some stuff that has been in my bag for so long that i almost consider it a good luck charm, or protective amulet.

But....if those condoms have been rattling around in her bag for 18 months they should probably be binned. Keys, sharp corners on things, friction - they can all damage the foil and the condom inside. Extremes of temperature can also weaken the condoms. If she wants to continue carrying them, maybe suggest she get a small tin/change purse to keep them in.

cuckoo wrote: »
    I've done that too - i was involved in sexual health campaigns while in college, so people would have known my face as 'oh, that girl with all the condoms', so i occasionally was asked for one on random nights out.

OP, handbags are like the TARDIS, all sorts of things end up in there. I have a screwdriver in mine (has proven handy) and all sorts of other junk. I also have some stuff that has been in my bag for so long that i almost consider it a good luck charm, or protective amulet.

But....if those condoms have been rattling around in her bag for 18 months they should probably be binned. Keys, sharp corners on things, friction - they can all damage the foil and the condom inside. Extremes of temperature can also weaken the condoms. If she wants to continue carrying them, maybe suggest she get a small tin/change purse to keep them in.

Yes tscrewdrivers are handy, as are bottle openers, matches and tissues as they can be used for all sorts...but condoms are only used for one thing in my eyes and they have only appeared over the last few weeks.

But she is the only one that answer and she didnt offer any expanation and stated that she would be funny about ME carrying condoms..thats a little strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

But she is the only one that answer and she didnt offer any expanation and stated that she would be funny about ME carrying condoms..thats a little strange.

And presumably you asked her why, before making a thread about it?

Yes I did ask her and I dont see how that invalidates my entitlement to start a thread on the matter to gauge other opinion. If that is what you are implying...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yes I did ask her and I dont see how that invalidates my entitlement to start a thread on the matter to gauge other opinion. If that is what you are implying...:cool:

No, it just seems odd to me you didn't mention that as the first thing out of my mouth in that situation would be "well, why?" rather than talking to strangers about it who wouldn't have a clue

So what was her reason or did she not answer that either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

I wouldnt worry about it too much.. I have all sorts of things in my bag... Like an earlier poster said, women have loads of 'just incase' stuff in their bags.. I regularly have stuff like plasters, painkillers, mini sewing kits, spare tights etc. in my bag.

If you want to know if they are from your box, then check the batch number and expiry date. If they have passed their date then you can suggest she throws them out, or lighten the mood get her a mini-box of the durex sensations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Thaedydal wrote: »

Actually, I remember you handing me one about 5 or 6 years ago.

I still have it. Its out of date. Can I get an exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

what would she think if you were carrying around a few of her things in your wallet? Eg: An always Ultra pad with wings

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ockham's razor.

The simplest answer is usually the right one: she simply hasn't cleaned out her bag properly in 18 months.

Am I right, ladies?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Condoms - not just for wallets, now in handy handbag sizes too!

Seriously OP, what is it exactly you're looking for here?

Is your girlfriend cheating on you because she has condoms in her bag?

How should we know, she's your girlfriend, and if you have trust issues I suggest you spend some time discussing them with her.

Do women generally carry condoms about with them?

Based on the evidence of this thread I'd say yes, and for any one of a number of reasons. The presence of them in a woman's handbag is not conclusive evidence of an affair. Or anything else for that matter.

Are women's handbags the terrestrial equivalent of black holes?

Undoubtedly, you never know what you might find in one. Maybe even some 18 month old condoms if you're really lucky. Although as has been suggested, she should probably ditch them at this stage if they've been floating about loose in there all this time.

Have you guys been practising safe sex?

Apparently not if you're together a year and have an unused pack of 18 month old condoms knocking about. An old STI check mightn't be such a bad idea if you haven't had one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I got a new handbag last week, and emptied out the old one. Its fecking amazing what can accumulate in there. Twas like Mary Poppins' bag tbh...

I wouldnt read too much into this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Silverfish wrote: »
    Actually, I remember you handing me one about 5 or 6 years ago.

That was a fun evening.

Silverfish wrote: »
    I still have it. Its out of date. Can I get an exchange?

You didn't use it ? :(
    Like it's nice that you kept it as a token of my affection but really...
    IF you want a chance at getting another one of me that means you are going
    to have to come out to a beers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Never look inside a girls bag, seriously. We (men) will never understand how and why half the stuff is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

cuckoo wrote: »
    I've done that too - i was involved in sexual health campaigns while in college, so people would have known my face as 'oh, that girl with all the condoms'

And the girl who gave me the tour; but I'm glad you know that I (among others) always labelled you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Tis weird that she wont leave you carry em around. Whats good for the goose and all that.
    Womens bags should only be opened by women. My missus asks me to get things out of her bag I actually freeze up. You can find anything in there. Nobody knows why its there, not even the woman. Humans know more about space and the deep sea than they do about a womans bag. Main reason is fear.

Advertisement