Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re Rear Naked Choke

• 05-01-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Not sure why I started thinking about this but here's a question to anyone that trains / fights.

When going for a RNC which arm do you usually place under the chin? For instance if you're right handed would you slip the left hand under the chin and use your supposedly stronger right arm to push down on the back of the opponents head? Or is it the other way around - maybe you can choke harder with stonger arm under the chin.
    Or does it even matter?

Sorry for the random question but tis quiet in Work today. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

its more what ever arm you get an opportunity with, strenght isnt really a major issue most would be able to do it with either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Yeah it doesnt really matter.Once you get a proper RNC sunk in,your opponant should tap or go to sleep-regardless of arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Your "bottom" arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

If my opponent is on his knees, I instinctively go for the choke with my right arm(I am right handed) more because its stronger for "digging" under the chin than finishing the choke.

More than likely I will be on my side, so the arm closest to the ground is used to choke, as it gives better control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Whichever arm you get the chance to.
    Naturally in training, I'd go for the left arm under (I'm right handed), but in practise whichever arm I get a chance with, I instinctively go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Balfe

Instinctually, I'd use my left arm under the chin if I had the choice. The right arm (I'm right handed) would be used to lock the choke into place and to fend off any wrist control attempts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭judomick

to finish a rnc you should best case scenario be lying on your side, the arm closest to the ground is the best option for finishing as if you use your top arm , the escape is a whole lot easier, and there is not too much space to fight with your bottom arm in the grip fight sense of the word

Advertisement