Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Christmas Check Points

Options
  • 05-01-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

JWas talking to a few lads here and the subject of Garda Check points came up. Out of the few of us only 1 person was stopped at a check point but only for Tax and Insurance. I done a fair bit of driving over Christmas, including New Years Night (I was well oiled*) at midnight-ish, and only got stopped once, as above. Just wondering how many people did actually get stopped at a checkpoint.

*She was driving that night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

3000km in December; didn't get stopped once. 300km of that or so was in NI.

Last year I did about the same mileage - even about the same south/north %, and got stopped 4 times in the Republic and once in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

not stopped once ..... A lot of city driving and a couple cross country runs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Its the first Christmas in years that i didn't even see 1 check point, have asked a couple of people and they hadn't seen any either. I was driving pretty much every day / evening and drove up the north twice and not a sign of one.

I would even go so far as to say in December there was less check points than you'd normally see.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I didn't see one checkpoint either, and was driving a bit at night time. My route home (N11 and Shankill roundabout) is generally where you would see a checkpoint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

I was stopped twice at the same checkpoint within about 15 mins of each other. It was a random breath testing one along with tax and Insurance. It was a big operation with two/three guards at each of 4 exits on a roundabout. Only thing was it was at about 7.30 in the evening on a saturday. Do people drink and drive that early??? I would have thought they would get a few more customers at around midnight to 1am??? Maybe not?
    Only 1 I was stopped at for the whole month of December anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Drove about 1500kms in december. Mayo/Galway/Clare/Limerick and Kerry, mostly in Mayo and Galway.
    Went through one checkpoint on the Sunday after Christmas at around 16:00. They were checking for tax/insurance etc on the N17 outside of Claremorris.
    I did about the same amount of driving in December 07 and went through none.
    I've only gone through 4 checkpoints last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

None here did at least 1500kms Enfield-Airport and back through out the month never once saw one on the N4 or N2.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Did a good bit of driving over Xmas and didnt see one checkpoint.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

Twas cold in december tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hairybiker

leon8v,

was that Ongar R'about??? (probably not) but I was stopped one of the sat/sun before christmas.

couldn't believe the amount of them - I got stopped for tax at one exit - there were atleast 10 of them around the exits... Was driving the aul lads car and only found out later that he had his other bloody car's disc in it (it's off the road but taxed - the one hes drivin isn't :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

was stopped twice over christmas once outside tuam
    checking for tax and insurance and once outside ballyhaunis (same)
    i asked could i have his cool flashing blue light on the road,
    (he said no) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

2000 km, 2 checkpoints. Only checked insurance though. I think there were some cars on the hard shoulder, maybe they were asked to pull over and do the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

hairybiker wrote: »
    leon8v,

was that Ongar R'about??? (probably not) but I was stopped one of the sat/sun before christmas.

couldn't believe the amount of them - I got stopped for tax at one exit - there were atleast 10 of them around the exits... Was driving the aul lads car and only found out later that he had his other bloody car's disc in it (it's off the road but taxed - the one hes drivin isn't :rolleyes:)

No it was out in Swords. Funny thing was, the insurance disc has the name of the company on it rather than the reg and the guye checking the discs asked who owned the car, I told him company car, he asked the name of the company, I gave him the trading name which wasnt the same as the one on the disc, he said fine, go ahead, would be really surprised if he knew both matched. One of the guys doing the breath test was a nice civil guy, friendly, type of guy you dont mind talking to, other one was the usual head up his own arse type on an ego trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I done alot of driving over christmas too, and seen all of two Garda cars about, rushing somewhere with the lights on.

Not one checkpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

met checkpoint new years eve. Had one car pulled over but the garda standing in the road was talking to [ going to pul over?]a car coming towards us and waved us on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭patrickc

I did my usual Carlow Dublin - commute 5 nights over xmas and was brethalised once, stephens night I think about 11pm. drove to Cork, Roscommon etc but just saw speed checks otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I met one, before Christmas going up to the Motors Meet. Thank god it was just tax and insurance:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I was stopped once and turned off for home just before another one where there was a line of traffic.

The one that stopped me checked tax and insurance, then walked to the window and asked for my licence. No breath test, but she did have the breathalyser on her wrist, ready for anyone she may have had doubts about.

Just because they don't test you doesn't mean they're not testing anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

met checkpoint new years eve.Garda had one car pulled over but the garda standing in the road was talking to [ going to pull over?]a car coming towards us and waved us on
    I have edited this as it looked as i had one car pulled over not the police!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I drove Dublin to Armagh and back then Dublin to Mullingar oh and Clonee to Bray over the last week and didnt see 1 checkpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Basically the Gardai have had most of their overtime stopped due to the budget etc

so less checkpoints! Hurrah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Basically the Gardai have had most of their overtime stopped due to the budget etc

so less checkpoints! Hurrah!
    Idle speculation, tbh...
    Still, I did about 600 miles over the Christmas period without passing one..

When people say "checking tax & insurance" do they really care about NCT? I've never been pulled up on it, must really get that sorted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'm driving 2.5 years and have been stopped three times, all at checkpoints (always with someone in the car with me during provisional licence which was damn lucky), and I reckon my tax/NCT was only actually looked at twice out of those as I was waved through one (in a driving school car, stalled as the female Garda laughed her head off).

Haven't been stopped at all since passing my test six months ago, and I'd drive maybe ~100-150km a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Was in and out of town a lot in the evenings doing lifts (am off drink for the past few months) and didn't see any checkpoints.

I'd say there is a serious squeeze on garda overtime at the moment with the current state of the public finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Not 1! and done a couple of hundred miles. Obviously no money for overtime :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

went from Clondalkin to Liffey valley on the 27th to spend my haldfrauds voucher... mmmm 1ltr of SRP, anyway no checkpoint going over, but there was a huge customs and garda check on the way back, 2 transporters, one full with 6 cars and 3 more cars emptied..... all in less than 10 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

did around 3500 miles in december. one checkpoint. on the quays just past heuston station in dublin. huge one. garda cars, unmarked cars, and lots of executive saloons all pulled over. all being breathalysed it appeared. i was waved through without a second glance. it was very exciting! that was early december. i was also pulled over once, but thats a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I got breathalysed in Kilimor Co Galway the Friday before Christmas.It was only around 10pm.
    They didn't seem to check tax/insurance

Got a bit of a fright 'cos I thought it was a speed trap...road was very quiet and I was pressing on a bit...

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Have not come across a checkpoint in months even over christmas. I have heard on a radio program over the hols that they are now equiping over 100 vehicles with cameras that can read your number plate and do an immediate computer check to see if the car is taxed/insured. Hence no need for checkpoints for that purpose. Anyone heard anything about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I do a lot of driving all over the country and only met one checkpoint in December and so far in Jan.

It was a simple tax and Insurance check but he got a good eyeball of both of us first.

I would love to have seen more.

There was one in Limerick 2 maybe 3 years ago on the dual carraigeway stopping people for all manner of things, from tyres to bulbs, provisional drivers to tax and insurance and drink/drug driving.

There were 2 jeeps, 2 squad cars, lot of Gardai and two motorbike cops at the roundabout ready to give chase to those who didnt want to be stopped.

As the darcy show would say "Where are they now?"

Advertisement