Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Respray a saloon boot lid - cost?

Options
  • 05-01-2009 5:10pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here work in the repair/spray trade?

I'm looking to get a rough idea of the cost of getting a BMW 3 series saloon boot lid resprayed. No removal, no beating, no refitting etc., just respray a standalone boot lid (from a breakers) to a standard BMW colour.

Eyes nearly popped out of my head earlier when I got a quote of 400 euro for this.. seems pretty mental to me.. Was expecting something more like 100-150.. is that hopelessly optimistic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

€400 seems about ok to me - but I'm not in the trade. I got my bonnet resprayed a while ago and it cost about €600. Fair bit of work involved, I think though €100 is a little too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'm not sure it's that simple. Standard BMW colour or not any decent panel beater will possibly recommend spraying part of wings to 'blend in'. Otherwise boot night stand out like a sore thumb in time...

That's my experience anyway. Otherwise there may be a danger your boot will be a subtly different hue a few months down the line.

(I'm no expert though so could be talking complete bollocks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Sounds a lot.

Got the rear 1/4 panel, and boot of a mondeo sprayed (black metallic), as well as nasty dents taken out of both for €350 recently (and that included a s/h rear lamp too).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If it's a reputable sprayer, i don't see any problem with 300-400.

I got a bonnet sprayed before, for €150. But it was a polo, and he did use house paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

You say you need to get a secondhand bootlid painted ? I assume that's inside as well as outside ? Takes as least as long if not longer to prep the inside as the outside (not a flat surface due to reinforcement ribs etc). Are they fitting the bootlid as well, or are you fitting ?

400 euro sounds fine to me for a proper job. I get bodywork done on cars at least once a month, and budget 250+VAT per panel for a proper job. Count yours as double because it's inside as well as outside.

No way you will get it done for 100-150 euro, and if you do it will either look crap and/or come off the first time you wash the car !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Try on DTD.. One of the lads will prob do it as a nixer.. :D

Advertisement