Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attracting FDI in Ireland?

• 05-01-2009 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi lads,

I'm currently in my final year in UL, and in the middle of doing a thesis. It's essentially about what we can do to attract FDI in Irleland, and I'm looking for a bit of help.

I'm looking for a link for a (recent-ish) survey on what attracted the big Multi National Companies (ie. Dell, Analog Devices, etc.) to initially set up in Ireland. I remember seeing a similar survey in The Irish Times (I think) a few months back, but can't seem to locate it. Links to any half related surveys would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
    RonCon

Comments

ESRI have some working papers (at least) on factors that attract FDI I think.

Have a nose around the site (www.esri.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

sorry to say, but your entire thesis can be summarized into a few short words, tax breaks and low labour costs. :pac:

I had some good economics papers on the issue, but they're at home I think. It will be a few weeks before i head back, but if i can find them i'll post them here.

the OECD I think have a few articles worth reading as well. can't remember names, but a search of their database might yield some results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yes low CT, breaks, a relatively skilled labour force (see complusory Secondary School and eventually free fees in Ireland), position in the EU (alot of evidence suggests MNCs will setup in a country which is already part of a larger Economic bloc like the EU of NAFTA to take advantage of trading benefits-in this case trading from Ireland to other EU countries with a minimum of barriers), then there is the language/culture argument which, although becoming less of an issue, may have held some sway back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Advertisement