Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Squeeling noise from Laguna 03

Options
  • 05-01-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

my laguna (2003 mirage model) has a squeeling/whistling noise from the engine.....anyone have any advice on the cause or the solution?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hairybiker

really don't know about Laguna set-ups but I had an old Ibiza where the squealing disappeared when I adjusted the Alternator to tighten the Fan-Belt.

is the squealing during acceleration??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

its a laguna theres your problem, no offence but worst car ever, have a search thru other threads. prob water pump

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

the fan-belt is tight, it occurs from the minute the engine is switched on to the minute its swithced off

i wouldnt buy a renault ever again - i've had more than a few problems with it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hairybiker

Ditto - but Skoda - never ever, ever again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

max 73 wrote: »
    the fan-belt is tight, it occurs from the minute the engine is switched on to the minute its swithced off

i wouldnt buy a renault ever again - i've had more than a few problems with it.....

Does it vary with engine speed? Or does it just have a constant noise?

I wouldn't drive the car until i new where the sound was coming from, just in case it was the water pump or the timing belt idler about to give up :eek:

Have you checked that its not coming from any of the auxiliaries running off the engine? eg a bad bearing in the alternator / PS pump / AC compressor?? You can usually test this by putting a long screw driver on the part and up to your ear.

I assume this laguna has the water pump behind the timing belt, so you could remove the fan / aux belt as a quick test to see if the noise goes away?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

It's most likely alternator belt pulley on the alternator...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

thanks boys.......took advice on board, squeeling stopped for a day but its back with a vengance!!!!!!!!! feel like taking the sledge hammer to it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Time to give the little guy a break:

usb-hamster-wheel-2.jpg

Sorry, I'll get my coat on the way out.

Advertisement