Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking Lane/Middle Lane Hoggers - How to get the message across?

Options
  • 05-01-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

So I drove Dublin -> Dundalk -> Newbridge yesterday, and also drive Dublin -> Newbridge several times a week (usually late in the evening when there is little traffic) and I got to thinking a bit recently about an idea.

As with many other posters here, the middle lane and overtaking lane hoggers get on my nerves and although the occasional indicator/flash of headlights works for some/most of the overtaking lane hoggers, it seems like driver's need to be educated on what they're doing wrong.

(Middle lane drivers really frustrate me, what's wrong with the perfectly good empty lane to your left??!? especially late at night when there are very few other vehicles on the road)

It's a basic principle of the rules of the road, you keep left. And I believe lack of driver education is the root cause of this problem.

So, I got to thinking, would it work if someone started a website aimed at educating drivers on such things as lane positioning on motorways and other similar common pet peeves/bad habits.

The website would need to be promoted well to reach a wide enough audience of course, and I thought bumper stickers with the website address would be an effective way to get the message out to the right audience. (plenty of other drivers would see them)

Just an idea I had, and was wondering if anyone else had any other possibly effective ways of educating drivers on correct motorway discipline?

(Note: I'm in no way saying I myself am a perfect driver, we all have our downfalls, this is just one major thing that annoys me :) Also, not meaning this thread to turn into a debate/moan thread about such activities, looking for discussion on ways to solve the problem)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Just back from New York and drove out to Woodbury common along the route I took there were large signs that said "KEEP TO THE RIGHT OVERTAKE ON LEFT ONLY"

I think that would be a much better and more direct way of getting the message over to them.

Obviously signs would need to be reversed for us before anyone is smart and points it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Large motorway signs stating such. Replace those useless "X number of people killed on the roads in Wicklow" signs with these and run TV advertising to enforce it further.
    Ideally bring in some form of motoring class into transition year to teach kids all these things right from the start of their driving career.

That or Bond-esque machine guns behind the headlights:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I vote for the machine guns.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

OP - this is one of the most shocking and dangerous aspects of driving on Irish roads... the slow-nelly fast lane hoggers.... f*ckin' eejits... and I won't pass on the left as it is breaking the law, bu often see fellas flying up the fast lane, drifting left, and over-taking me and the 'HOG' on the inside.

Not only is the eejit causing other people to break the law... if you look at youtube and find videos about guys street-racing their cars in Moscow... you will see that it is a fast in and out of lane shimmy that often causes a car to go out of control at high speeds.

These eejits are far more dangerous than someone who is driving at whatever speed they wish to do on such lovely tar-mac strips as the M1 - often driving some of the amazing motors that they've been taxed through the nose for the pleasure to own in this little island of ours.

They need to be educated...but they need to start punishing them too... high speed, with highly engineered automobile on a heavily engineered strip of motorway in this day and age is not really dangerous when you have a responsible driver at the wheel... but coming around a high speed corner to find some kn0b-jockey crawling in the fast lane ahead of you is dangerous.

DRIVING IS A SPATIAL EXPERIENCE. ie., what's happening around you is important... not just ahead of you as many drivers seem to think... they don't even have their rear view mirrors adjusted accordingly.

Good post OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I think part of the problem is that learners have no lessons/training on motorway driving as they're forbidden to drive on them until they have a licence. While it's in the theory test/rules of the road, it doesn't become part of their practical driving instruction.

There's a good chapter in Roadcraft about motorway driving, which would be useful for anyone to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think part of the problem is that learners have no lessons/training on motorway driving as they're forbidden to drive on them until they have a licence. While it's in the theory test/rules of the road, it doesn't become part of their practical driving instruction.
    The same rules apply on dual carriageways where they are allowed to be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

OMG! I drove on the Dublin - Naas road yesterday and I could not believe it! What is with this cruising in the middle lane! I was able to overtake most cars while doing only 100kmph in the inside lane! All the slow traffic was cruising in the middle lane! It was unreal! It was even more unreal to get dirty looks off people who didn't like being overtaken on the inside! But I really was only doing 100kmph! Also, when driving on the M7 yesterday evening, the lack of rear fog lights being used was crazy! There was bad fog last night and the amount of cars that had front fogs on only was ridiculous! I'm sure these front fog lights are on day and night, sun and rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's easy. flash your lights, make a fuss. at least make them see that what they're doing is wrong. Overtaking on the inside not only compounds the problem (by both making them afraid to pull into the left lane and making them think what they're doing is ok) nut is also illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mairtinomarta

kdouglas wrote: »
    So, I got to thinking, would it work if someone started a website aimed at educating drivers on such things as lane positioning on motorways and other similar common pet peeves/bad habits.

The website would need to be promoted well to reach a wide enough audience of course, and I thought bumper stickers with the website address would be an effective way to get the message out to the right audience. (plenty of other drivers would see them)

Just an idea I had, and was wondering if anyone else had any other possibly effective ways of educating drivers on correct motorway discipline?

No worries, the government are way ahead of ya!

It's here http://www.rsa.ie

Try doing a search on it, but keep it simple, ya wouldn't want to break it. Maybe try the word "safe".

Or since your interest is in motorways, try and search for "motorway".

This website is full of useful info (I'm sure it is, well I'm pretty sure it is, I just can't find it . . . )

There is a link to another (RSA) website http://www.DrivingTest.ie

That's gotta be full of useful tips .. .. maybe not but another link, this should definetly be what you want, a link to the driver theory test website http://www.dtts.ie

Close, there is a discount availabe on the cd-rom, only E30 and that includes delivery! Excellent. Maybe a download would be handier .. .. Sorry no can do, but laser card can now be used to book the test! Cool.

Better end rant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Drove the M8 northbound yesterday & only found one right lane hogger on the at that stage fairly busy Motorway. Empty left lane for almost the entire length of the Naas Road again with fairly busy traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

McSpud wrote: »
    Drove the M8 northbound yesterday & only found one right lane hogger on the at that stage fairly busy Motorway. Empty left lane for almost the entire length of the Naas Road again with fairly busy traffic.
    what did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

OMG! I drove on the Dublin - Naas road yesterday and I could not believe it! What is with this cruising in the middle lane! I was able to overtake most cars while doing only 100kmph in the inside lane! All the slow traffic was cruising in the middle lane! It was unreal! It was even more unreal to get dirty looks off people who didn't like being overtaken on the inside! But I really was only doing 100kmph! Also, when driving on the M7 yesterday evening, the lack of rear fog lights being used was crazy! There was bad fog last night and the amount of cars that had front fogs on only was ridiculous! I'm sure these front fog lights are on day and night, sun and rain!

Just curious, if they were in the middle lane why didnt you overtake in the right lane ? Am I missing something.

The signs on this road seem to suggest that you should only be in this lane if you are turning off to the destination on the overhead sign. Not saying its right just that can be the impression

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Arathorn wrote: »

The signs on this road seem to suggest that you should only be in this lane if you are turning off to the destination on the overhead sign. Not saying its right just that can be the impression

Spot on! I'll openly admit I was a middle lane hogger the first time I drove the naas road southbound.
    Because it seemed to me and to plently of others that the left lane was for exits and I didn't want to go down some exit so I stayed in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Just curious, if they were in the middle lane why didnt you overtake in the right lane ? Am I missing something.

The signs have been changed in the last few weeks - doesn't seem to have made a difference.

This is what the new ones look like.

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=268&pos=7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

You cant teach an old dog new tricks. Some people just dont get the rules of the road.
    Teach school kids the rules of the road and at least all of them who become new drivers will have the basics of it.
    Signposts stating keep to left lane unless over taking might help!
    I like to give my horn a good old blast when i pass an asshole driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The problem is that we're too polite as drivers. We sit behind these people hoping they'll check their mirrors and move.

Try that in any other country in Europe and watch the reaction, you're flashed, beeped at, leered at, and even 'flipped the bird' when overtaken. And quite rightly IMHO.

A few weeks ago I was on the N7 in the morning heading towards Naas.

The outside lane was slowed to 50km. The cause?

Someone who was obviously sick of being tailgated decided to slow right down to "teach a lesson" to the guy behind. The guy behind was flashing his lights and sitting on the horn while following close behind. Everyone else was undertaking them

Really childish stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I do it myself reasonably often for two main reasons.

1. To demonstrate that the left lane isn't actually booby trapped and is safe to use for travelling at the speed they desire, and more.

2. Safety rates higher on my list of concerns than legality when driving, so I'll stay in the lane I'm in rather than moving accross two lanes twice to overtake somebody who is also going about their driving in the wrong lane.

If/when I get pulled for it I'll hope for a Garda who'll listen to my reasoned explanation. If I'm unlucky I'll take the rap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I am glad to see this thread, as I use the m50 and use the the left lane to undertake about 200 cars most days. I overtake where I can even though it means sweeping across two lanes and then back again.

I actually began to doubt myself and believe the centre lane was the driving lane, and the left lane was for joining exiting.

These middle lane hoggers are very dangerous.

Another dangerous practice is lane changing without indicating. With only two lanes you can get away with it. But people must understand that two cars in different lanes may change to the middle lane at the same time. I have seen two almost collisions because of this.

The strange thing I find is that the U.K. motorways are a ballet to drive on everyone seems to know what they are doing. yet a lot of the offenders on the M50 are English cars.

Anyway I am confident this will never be sorted out. The obvious suggestion would be signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Because I wanted to cruise along at 100kmph, which I noticed would be achieveable in the inside lane, instead of moving out to the outside to overtake each car that was cruising in the middle lane, having to up my speed to spend mimimum time overtaking, reducing speed once back in middle lane, oh no, another car cruising, out again.

I have driven many miles in Germany on three lane roads. 3 very distinct speeds going on in each lane, 80kmph to 100kmph on inside lane, 100kmph to 140kmph in middle lane and 140kmph + in outside lane. Very effective.

On the Irish road in question, those middle lane hoggers, driving uniformly at around 80kmph with usually safe / good distances between could cruise along fine in the inside lane. I could cruise along fine at 100kmph in the middle lane while there were slower cars on the inside, keeping plenty of space between me and car in front in case a car on inside needs to move out etc. and anyone wishing to do over 100kmph, could over take me on the outside lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Was up to Newry yesterday and I must say the lane discipline on the M1 seems to be much, much better than the M50, N/M7 and N/M4.

Apart from the odd time when the right hand lane jammed up a bit due a truck travelling at 95kph overtaking a truck doing 94kph, people were driving on the left and overtaking on the right and pulling back in.

The only bit that made me wonder was, on a deserted stretch I came up behind a young lad in a Mitsubishi Colt in the right hand lane. To be fair he was awake enough to move straight over after one brief flash of the lights and on I went. When I checked my mirror to pull back into the left lane he had moved back into the right lane! We were the only two cars on that stretch of road for as far as I could see in either direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Middle lane hoggers have no idea that they are in the wrong. They do not watch the TV ads, read the signs and certainly do not read this forum.

I gave up a long time ago on the Nass road. Its only the Naas road that I see this and I just stay in the left lane and if I pass a car thats in the middle lane, boo hoo, thats their problem not mine. I try to anticipate if they will move in to the left lane but HELL what are the chances of that??? :mad:

The M1 is ok, past Naas its ok southbound, Limerick dual carriageways in all directions, its ok. For me I only see this problem on the Nass dual carraigeway.

I dont think they will ever change their lane dicsipline and as long as they leave the left lane empty then I will continue to use this happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Why not legalise undertaking like in the US. Sure its more dangerous but it would wake irish drivers up and make them pay attention to what they're doing.

Those in doubt should drive in LA for a day and see grannys driving at 80mph and changing lanes into spaces little longer than their car without trouble. Also this happens in the complete absence of beeping, flashing or 'flipping the bird'.

I was there for 3wks driving and didn't see one crash so it can't be that dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ferris wrote: »
    Why not legalise undertaking like in the US. Sure its more dangerous but it would wake irish drivers up and make them pay attention to what they're doing.

Those in doubt should drive in LA for a day and see grannys driving at 80mph and changing lanes into spaces little longer than their car without trouble. Also this happens in the complete absence of beeping, flashing or 'flipping the bird'.

I was there for 3wks driving and didn't see one crash so it can't be that dangerous.

In Florida you can pass somebody in any lane you feel like. I still kept to the right lane because I was still getting used to their roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Berty wrote: »
    I still kept to the right lane because I was still getting used to their roads.

Well I undertook like a mo-fo, drove like my hair was on fire and actually got places in reasonable time with minimal effort and maximum courtesy from other road users.

It really was that good, I'd always been told the LA was a traffic nightmare but it was brilliant compared to the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

I have driven in the States plenty of times and must say it can be such a difference compared to here! The only thing there though is the traffic can come to a complete standstill in such a short distance...i.e. you could be doing 80mph on the interstate and all of a sudden ahead the traffic is still due to conjestion...can easily catch you out. Unlike here where there is usually a huge tailback first of slower cars.
    Going back to what onemorechance said about driving in Germany aboutt he 3 distinct speed ranges for the 3 lanes...going with this kind of idea and a mix of the States could also be effective....Why not introduce a Minimum speed on the Motorways here? I think in places the speed limit on highways in the states is 65 or 70mph but also signs up in places that say Minimum Speed 55mph. How many of us have been on the motorway behind someone going about 80kph!! grrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

I drive up behind them , position my car so they can see my RH indicator, give a long flash on the headlights then turn on the indicator. It usually has the desired effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭the beerhunter

i've no qualms about passing on the inside if it's clear and some monkey is cruising slowly (and frequently below the speed limit). i don't believe in tailgating and flashing the headlights - if you scare these idiots awake while they're in front of you they're liable to hit the brakes. my preferred method is to return to the outside lane sooner than courtesy might dictate. the view in my rearview mirror is usually a rapid lane change by the offending vehicle to the left, or irate flashing of their lights that i dared to disturb their slumber :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

The big road signs as mentioned is the only realistic method to get the message across. As also already mentioned, these people don't read this forum or go onto any website to learn how to drive on a particular road.

It's unfair to say that this only happens on the Naas road or N7 to the rest of the country :rolleyes:, as it's the only 3 lane 100kph road in Ireland, if they were elsewhere they'd be the same. Having said that, I used the N-M7/M1 over the Christmas period quite a bit and the users of the stretch of M7 from the M9 interchange to N7, M50 and M1 up to Lusk are the worst at lane discipline that I ever see in Ireland, incredibly selfish or just plain stupid. These are people who by and large live on that route and use it daily - what gives :confused:

Anyway - Big Road Signs and mention of Penalty Points, could get the message across, or a 10 min piece on the Late Late or Tubridy would get the majority of offenders attention - :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I find that a quick flash will do the trick, but if they don't move, i won't undertake or sit on their bumpers out of principle.

Tailgating (especially in the slow lane) is absolutely disgraceful driving, yet I see it happening all the time.

As mentioned in the thread earlier, some electronic motorway signs giving the basic rules of motorway driving would be very helpful.

Advertisement