Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statistics Help Please

Options
  • 05-01-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, I'm in urgent need of some help, the guys over in the mathematics forum told me to come here for a step by step walkthrough of how to do my statistics. I'm doing an undergraduate course in radiography but for some crazy reason I have to do statistical analysis as part of my dissertation. I did an experiment where I took a number of x-rays on a phantom in two different postions.

My dissertation supervisor told me that I have to do the anova test and the wilcoxen test. The poor man spent over two hours explaining how to do it but I came out and still hadn't a clue. My dissertation is due in a couple of weeks and I cant finish it unless I get some help.

The data I have is the dose recieved by four sensitive organs- the testes, the ovaries, the eyes and the thyroid gland. I have data for both positons.

If someone could possibly walk me through how to do this step by step I would be very grateful. I have very little experience in statistics and computers in general so if it could be explained simply that would be great. I have both Minitab 15 and Excel to do the statistics in by the way.

Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Hi sarahbarron, it should be easy to sort this one out but probably a bit more information on your dataset is needed first. I've never used Minitab but I can help with Excel (and R or SPSS, if you need a more complex analysis!).

I've followed you over from the maths forum so I know the basic gist of what you want to analyze, but first you should clarify what exactly you want to test:do you simply want to compare the two body positions for each organ or do you also need to compare organs?

Also, what are you comparing - what are the units? Or is it some kind of ratio or percentage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sarahbarron

Excel is fine thanks, whatever suits you.

The data I have consists of five exposures in position one for the ovaries, testes, thyroid and eyes, giving the dose received for each. I have the same data except for position two.

I want to compare the positions, identifying which one gives the least dose to the sensitive organs- I think this what I need to use the ANOVA for.

I'm not exactly sure why I need to use the Wilcoxen test, but I'll have more information tomorrow when I get back home.

Sarah

To analyze this dataset, a 2-way repeated measures ANOVA would work - except that, technically, your sample size is actually 1 and not 5, since these are all remeasures of the same thing. The technically correct way to analyze it then, would be a 2 way ANOVA with organ and position as group variables.

I ran it both ways quickly - the good news is that they both have more or the less the same results! This analysis is straight forward but can't be done in Excel. I can run you through how to do it in SPSS or R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sarahbarron

Hi thank you so much for replying so quick. Thats brilliant news that i can do the anova as i was starting to panic. i can download which ever software you think is appropriate. just let me know what you need etc.

I would say SPSS is the quickest. If it is on your school computers, then great. Otherwise, you can download a trial here:

http://www.spss.com/downloads/Papers.cfm?ProductID=00035&Name=SPSS_Base&DLType=Demo

• Advertisement
Advertisement