Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need wireless help

Options
  • 05-01-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

good day, i have a belkin router that i'm trying to get to communicate with my netbook. i did rtfm and sticky but am still having trouble. a disc came with the router but i have no drive in the netbook to install it. also, the netbook works fine on ethernet cable, please give me a dig out!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You do not need to install anything to get a wireless router to work on your netbook, the only thing it needs is to have the drivers for its wireless card installed which it will by default if you have the original OS on it.

What OS has the netbook and when you do a network scan does it show the network SSID or nothing at all?

Connect to the router with a cable and open a web page : 192.168.1.1 IIRC this is the default for Belkin

Answer above to continue

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

thanks MC, i'll try the above, i can seem to connect to the router but can't get online, i'll report further!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You have the modem connected to the WAN port on the router i hope. Also who are you with (ISP) and what modem are you using.

MC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

good day, i have a belkin router that i'm trying to get to communicate with my netbook. i did rtfm and sticky but am still having trouble. a disc came with the router but i have no drive in the netbook to install it. also, the netbook works fine on ethernet cable, please give me a dig out!

cheers

Please please, and I am fed up asking this, will people with problems with connections etc please give as much information as possible it saves extracting the necessary details over a whole series of posts and wasting everyone's time in the meantime.

At least give your isp, details of the equipment you are using, with model nos if possible, are you using security, have you tried changing wireless channels,
    and have you confirmed via ethernet that your internet connection is working.

sorry, if i was a bit more tech savvy i might have known that, ethernet works fine, in using a samsung NC10 and belkin n wireless router, have no idea how to switch channels, standard windows security with AGV, homevision broadband, router connects to computer ok but cannot then connect to the internet.

• Advertisement

Could you clarify exactly what your problem is?

In your first post you say
    i have a belkin router that i'm trying to get to communicate with my netbook

and in your last post you say:
    router connects to computer ok but cannot then connect to the internet.

So is it that your firstly cannot get the router to connect to the net?

and secondly that you cannot get the netbook set up so as to connect wirelessly to the router?

Or.................................

sorry to drag this out, i really am this bad with tech stuff...

i moved into a new place with only one provider, homevision. they installed a box through which everything originates, ie phone, tv and broadband. at the time of installation i had no wireless router so i conected with a cable which works fine.

the problem: when i connect the cable to the wireless router via the same port i had been using on home visions box (lan 1), and plug in the router i can detect the wifi on my netbook with full strength signal. however, when i try to open a page on the web it will not respond (windows xp, google chrome/explorer). what am i missing? do i need to reconfigure something? when i plug the ethernet cable back in it works fine again.

sorry again, but if i can't fix something with a hammer it usually stays broken.

just to add, on the back of the router i have line in marked adsl and 4 ethernet ports as output. cheers.

Reading the homevision page it seems that they already provide you with a wireless facility?
    Home Gateway
    The Home Gateway is the central hub that integrates our TV, broadband and phone services. It plugs directly into your telephone line. It's usually installed in your hallway or wherever your phone connection is. It also doubles as a wireless broadband router- beaming broadband services throughout your home without any messy cables.

http://www.homevision.ie/what.html

You are trying to use what is known as a dsl modem/router with another dsl modem router. Definitely not the way to go about it.

I would suggest that as a first step you ring Homevision and ask them exactly what equipment you have at the moment.

thanks for all the help folks, i'll give that a try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement