Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband...*sigh* :(

Options
  • 05-01-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

I posted a while back how I got eircom broadband 3mb in just before the christmas but wasnt getting proper speeds at all.

After numerous calls to eircom problem STILL not fixed :(

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 256
    SN Margin (dB) 20.10 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 48.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 0 0

Now just after getting off the phone to them again for about the 5th/6th time.

Eircom fella: oh the ball is moving on this problem
    Me: so what exactly is happening now?
    Eircom fella: the engineers will go to your local exchange and check it to see if its that
    Me: But will they not come to my house?
    Eircom fella: Oh yeah they will if there is no problem at the exchange.

Now this is the same thing they said to me BEFORE the christmas. Im pretty sure the problem is to do with the wiring in my house as its just over 30 years old!

They are reeaaallly taking their time on doing anything with this problem. And yet we are still getting billed as having broadband yet the speeds are one step up from dialup!!!

Can anyone shed some light on what will probably happen? Max allowed speed in the line stats say 160! There is the problem straight away no?

Will the engineers go to the exchange and realise its grand and come to my house and rewire something or other??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

if its the wiring in your actuall house its not up to eircome to fix it as they only cover up the the main socket (assuming you have more) into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

kaahooters wrote: »
    if its the wiring in your actuall house its not up to eircome to fix it as they only cover up the the main socket (assuming you have more) into the house.

Yeah but ive tried it using the main socket aswell and I still get the same ****ty speeds. Your man on the phone seemed to think the engineer would be calling out if it wasnt the exchange??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

joe123 wrote: »
    Yeah but ive tried it using the main socket aswell and I still get the same ****ty speeds. Your man on the phone seemed to think the engineer would be calling out if it wasnt the exchange??:confused:

What happens is the engineer work their way along from the exchange to your house. Its done this way so the engineer can fix any potential errors and avoid charging you 100 euro. Don't blame the call center people. They work off what they are told to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'd try resetting the router a few times and monitoring the speed it connects, those line stats are not too bad and should be connecting higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

joe123 im gettin the same problem as you and im a new house the last 3 years broadband worked fine up until october, ive rang eircom about nearly 20times now and they were sayin that it must be my computer but ive tried 3 different compters and still get the same result, download not goin above 50kbps
    After admitting some time later they told me it would be looked at before xmas but no joy so i rang them back about it 2 days ago and they told me a engineer would check the exchange in the next two weeks,i have got a reference no. and i gave them my number so if it is not the exchange they will come to house.
    gaming is just pointless now because im getting a ping of 150+

i got so fed up with them i wanted to change provider but every1 i ring they say my number is coming up as non existant even tho they can see my number come up on a caller id, i rang eircom about this aswell they blamed every1 elses system
    the eircom man told me to go to webby and it will show you which i did keepin him on the phone and guess what it didnt come up on there webby, then i was told "well it comes up on my system ok thanks for ringing bye" which i replied **** you!

stuck now with useless eircom now

• Advertisement

ok well ive tried resetting the router again.

Max allowed download and upload is still the same. At 160/256 and this is meant to be a 3mb service!! its driving me mad!

Also ive noticed the red internet light can stay red for a good few minutes if I move it or reset it.:confused:

By the way when i reset the router it always asks me for a password but when i click connect (the password is already written in even though i dont know what it is! ) it says error wrong password. How do you find out your password??

Anyone any ideas or thoughts on what exactly is the problem?

well ive tried everything I can. For the hell of it I tested my speed on speedtest.net and got a really wierd result twice in a row!

384735881.png

Sadly it didnt feel like it was going at that speed! The ping is really high though :( . Pages/youtube loaded slow aswell so dunno what happened the testing.

Besides the router page still has the same line stats with that annoying max speed allowed still stuck at 160/256. So untill that finally reads something along the lines of 2500/?? ill be happy. Guess Ill just have to wait now for the engineers to finally decide to check the exchange whenever that'll be :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Least yours works, mines dosen't like mornings or afternoons at all.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Least yours works, mines dosen't like mornings or afternoons at all.

it works slooooow though!

And speedtest is back to normal (its actually gotten worse since I reset the router today)

384745802.png

Meant to be 3mb broadband....Bad times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 acorkonian

my god man that is terribly unfortunate..you should be giving them some tounge lashing..isps are terrible for this kinda thing especially eircom..there pros at it at this stage..

• Advertisement
Advertisement