Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Basket - Whats in yours?

• 05-01-2009 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

What are the healthy essentials in your weekly shopping basket?

Things i would try buy:

Quinoa
    Cottage Cheese
    Almonds

Add to the list!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

spinach, lots of spinach
    Chicken fillets
    Steak
    Pinhead oatmeal
    Peppers, onions, tomatoes, courgettes and anything else that can be stir fried
    more spinach

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Organic eggs.
    Salmon and other fish.
    Steak and whatever other meat was on sale.
    A couple of whole chickens (I'm feeding a family here).
    Cheese,
    Milk.
    Nuts (almonds and mixed unsalted)
    Broccoli,
    Cauliflower
    Brussel Sprouts (lots!)
    Green beans, runner beans.
    fennel and/or celery
    black kale
    mushrooms,
    Spinach,
    Rhubarb.
    Fruit
    Porridge.
    bottle of red wine.
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Apple cidar vinegar.
    sugerfree jelly.
    yogurt.
    Coffee
    Tea
    Cocoa
    Gelatin
    tins of tomatoes.
    tins of tuna
    Tube of anchovy puree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

cheap lager, pain killers, 50 packs of cigarettes, hot sauce

EileenG wrote: »
    Organic eggs.
    Salmon and other fish.
    Steak and whatever other meat was on sale.
    A couple of whole chickens (I'm feeding a family here).
    Cheese,
    Milk.
    Nuts (almonds and mixed unsalted)
    Broccoli,
    Cauliflower
    Brussel Sprouts (lots!)
    Green beans, runner beans.
    fennel and/or celery
    black kale
    mushrooms,
    Spinach,
    Rhubarb.
    Fruit
    Porridge.
    bottle of red wine.
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Apple cidar vinegar.
    sugerfree jelly.
    yogurt.
    Coffee
    Tea
    Cocoa
    Gelatin
    tins of tomatoes.
    tins of tuna
    Tube of anchovy puree.

Can I come around for dinner?

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Full chicken to roast
    cottage cheese
    low fat organic yogurt
    apples
    carrots
    onions
    garlic

Vegetables & fruit would change with the seasons. There's nothing I hate more than eating the same food all year round and having it flown in from Peru just for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Pretty much the same as EileenG but I also eat whole grain bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

spinach, lots of spinach
    Chicken fillets
    Steak
    Pinhead oatmeal
    Peppers, onions, tomatoes, courgettes and anything else that can be stir fried
    more spinach

Sorry for going OT, but any tips on how to cook spinach? I love the stuff but have no idea how to cook it :o

Extraplus wrote: »
    Sorry for going OT, but any tips on how to cook spinach? I love the stuff but have no idea how to cook it :o

I mainly eat baby spinach raw, use it any way you would lettuce or to garnish pasta dishes.

With older spinach I would wilt it, take out the stalks and mix it with Ricotta or cottage cheees. This can be eaten on its own or made into a very tasty Lasagne.

There are so many ways to eat it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/recipes/queryengine?templatestyle=refine_by_1_gg&orig_kw=spinach&config=db&scope=recipes&page=1&pagesize=15&attrib_26=keywords&oper_26=eq&val_26_1=%2Bspinach&attrib_2=programme_name&oper_2=eq&val_2_1=&attrib_3=chef_name&oper_3=eq&val_3_1=&attrib_12=healthy&oper_12=eq&attrib_13=quick&oper_13=eq&attrib_10=vegetarian&oper_10=eq

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

I buy frozen and I usually defrost it in some butter in the pan and throw my poached eggs on top of it for breakfast. Or make it into omelette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

mine looks similar to Eileen's but with wholegrain bread, oatmeal and lots of blueberries and raspberries and without the eggs ... well maybe I will skip the wine this wk, Christmas excess and all that :D

• Advertisement

wasabi wrote: »
    I buy frozen and I usually defrost it in some butter in the pan and throw my poached eggs on top of it for breakfast. Or make it into omelette.

That sounds nice, you can take that a bit fancier as well. Put the spinach in the bottom of a ramakin, break an egg on top then stick it under the grill. When the egg is almost done grate some cheese on top and grill again until its melty delicious. Not sure if thats staying too healthy though.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Chicken
    Pork steak
    Minute Steak
    Tomatoes
    Lettuce
    Courgettes
    Aubergine
    Peppers
    Red onions
    White onion
    Carrots
    Parnsips
    Parmesan
    feta
    Smoked salmon (actually been meaning to get the lowdown on this and whether it's good for you, Eileen do you know if this is bad for you if you've candida?)
    Porridge
    Hash browns (my occasional indulgence, no wheat)
    Beans or lentials when I've run out (pan fried chicken with puy lentils and some roasted root veg with balsamic vinegar!)
    Occasionally Maris Pipers for roasts.
    Eggs and lots of em for omelettes

Relative staples for me

Can I come around for dinner?

If you wash up, feel free!

If it's washed and bagged, you can actually microwave it in the bag. If it's fresh mature spinach, rinse it well, pull out the stacks and cook quickly in the washing water. It only takes a couple of minutes. I often throw it onto a non-stick frying pan with a lid, and it cooks in seconds.

Baby spinach makes a lovely salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm actually off to my first post christmas shop in about an hour. There is nothing in the house. Have my list to hand!

Fruit/Veggies (we actually get these at the veggie market on Sundays - we got all of the below last Sunday - we'd been away for two weeks so it was a huge shop!)

Spinach
    Broccoli (lots of both of these, we eat them practically every day)
    Green beans
    Radishes
    Kumara
    Lettuce
    Carrots
    Pumpkin
    Oranges
    Apples
    Bananas
    Tangellos
    Blueberries
    Red Chillis
    Garlic
    Avocado
    Lemons

I was buying a lot of asparagus but it has a very short season and there was none at the market last Sunday :(

Everything Else

Chicken Legs/thighs or a whole chicken (breasts are far to expensive here so I de-meat these)
    Beef Schnitzel steaks
    Pork mince
    nuts (cashews and walnuts)
    Seeds (pumpkin and sunflower usually)
    Potatoes
    Diet Soft drinks (my vice! :o)
    muesli
    yoghurts
    wholemeal bread
    cold meats (lean ham)
    olive oil
    balsamic vinegar
    pasta (wholemeal if I can persuade my OH)
    Greek or natural yoghurt
    few tins of tomatoes
    tins of corn, kidney beans and chickpeas
    salmon/tuna steaks

Hmm, think that's everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I like to keep my store cupboard stocked with things like tins of pulses, brown pasta, various grains and tomatoes in different variations (chopped tomatoes, passata, puree etc) along with oils & vinegars. I have dried pulses as well. At the moment I'm actually trying to use up a lot of what's in there because I'll be going to Newry in a few weeks for a "big shop". I top up what I have with natural yogurt, cottage cheese, salads, brown bread, milk and cheese if I've run out...a Curly Wurly stockpile in the freezer is an essential as well :eek::o

Usually my favourite vegetables are peppers, courgettes, aubergines and the like but lately I've been trying to get inventive with carrots and shpuds seeing as they're a lot cheaper. Once spring comes around I'll start planting rocket and other salad leaves but for now I'm getting slim pickings out of the garden and having to buy the salad in. Always have a bunch of bananas to hand as well. I have an extremely well stocked cupboard of herbs and spices and I find that really helps when throwing a meal together because you have so many different options for flavouring dishes. When I rented I only had room for a few jars of herbs and spices so almost the first thing I did when I got my own place was expand my collection. Bordering on the obsessive really :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Eilswen

Eileen G...do all girls have the same shopping basket!???

I sure do...maybe add in a bold packet of choccie biscuits and it's a dead heat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Mushrooms, lots of mushrooms.
    Onions
    Noodles
    Carrots
    Broccoli
    Quorn
    Tofu
    Cheese
    Stirfry sauces
    Tomatoes
    Avonmore carton soups

If the boyfriend is shopping with me then generally I end up getting things like Doritos and Ben and Jerry's. I try to keep my treats limited to when I'm hanging around him and it's actually helped me shed over a stone and a third since the start of the summer.

Advertisement