Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony KDL-40EX1 available on komplett

Options
  • 05-01-2009 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Do komplett actually have this in stock. I thought it wasnt released in the UK yet, yet alone Ireland.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=380969&view=detailed#ProductTabs

For anyone not knowing, this streams a 1080i signal so no wires. Thats a fairly big advantage. I had a policy of not paying more than 1500 for a tv, but I could bend it for this. No wires on a wall mounted tv would be sweet.

Anyone think not being ablt to stream 1080p (Blue-rays) is a big trade off? I think I could live with it, so long as I can stream the 360

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

oxygen wrote: »
    Do komplett actually have this in stock. I thought it wasnt released in the UK yet, yet alone Ireland.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=380969&view=detailed#ProductTabs

For anyone not knowing, this streams a 1080i signal so no wires. Thats a fairly big advantage. I had a policy of not paying more than 1500 for a tv, but I could bend it for this. No wires on a wall mounted tv would be sweet.

Anyone think not being ablt to stream 1080p (Blue-rays) is a big trade off? I think I could live with it, so long as I can stream the 360

I for one would wait until 1080p wireless streaming is readily available, tested and reviewed thoroughly by independent review sites/magazines so that I am sure what the TV can and cannot do. 1080i wireless streaming, although interesting, is only a stop-gap on the way to 1080p wireless streaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I for one would wait until 1080p wireless streaming is readily available, tested and reviewed thoroughly by independent review sites/magazines so that I am sure what the TV can and cannot do. 1080i wireless streaming, although interesting, is only a stop-gap on the way to 1080p wireless streaming.

Yup true, true. But when 1080p streaming comes out, which I think it has, but hasnt been priced, it will be really really expensive. For what I need, xbox 360 is 1080i, ps3 can be set to 1080i, and the sky HD is 1080i. The only thing I am missing out on for 1080p is the sony blue ray player. And I have heard on a xbox 380 podcast, that to notice the difference between 1080i and p you have to be standing 5 foot away and looking at a 50 inch screen.

Yup true, true. But when 1080p streaming comes out, which I think it has, but hasnt been priced, it will be really really expensive. For what I need, xbox 360 is 1080i, ps3 can be set to 1080i, and the sky HD is 1080i. The only thing I am missing out on for 1080p is the sony blue ray player. And I have heard on a xbox 380 podcast, that to notice the difference between 1080i and p you have to be standing 5 foot away and looking at a 50 inch screen.

The reason for that comment, regarding the podcast, is because your 1080i feed will be deinterlaced to 1080p by your TV, thus making it harder to differentiate between it and native 1080p, however, the difference between a deinterlaced 1080i => 1080p feed and a native 1080p will all depend on the deinterlacing capabilities of the TV and also the bitrate between the two feeds.

As I said before, I for one will wait until wireless HD is a more mature technology. Even if 1080i is supported, it doesn't mean dropouts and signal loss won't be experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Thanks for the advice Rsaeire, maybe it would be better to buy a cheaper tv, and run a cable to it. Wait for proper 1080p. When the Belkin flywire router cheapens a little, it will be all tv's not just sony that will be able to stream signals.

Thanks for the advice Rsaeire, maybe it would be better to buy a cheaper tv, and run a cable to it. Wait for proper 1080p. When the Belkin flywire router cheapens a little, it will be all tv's not just sony that will be able to stream signals.

That's the thing, wireless HD will mature faster once more manufacturers bring it to market. More manufacturers means more competition, which in turn will drive prices down and ensure the wireless HD implementations used will be more functional and less prone to issues.

Samsung demonstrated a TV with wireless HD at the 2008 CES and even more manufacturers are demonstrating their TVs with wireless HD at the 2009 CES. I for one will be happy when a TV will need no wires at all, including having a wireless power supply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement