Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT office took V5, WTF ???

Options
  • 05-01-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

tried to VRT my '08 520d today and the Santry office took my V5 (gave me a cover note for 10 days) and said they had to run it through the 'rosslare office to check for extras'. WTF is going on? TBH i'm more worried about the fact that they took my prrof of ownership rather than anything else!!

can anyone who has vrt'ed a newish car let me know whats going on?

(thanks)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

AFAIK they're just checking the chassis no with BMW to see what extras are fitted in your car, so prepare to be bent over a barrel.

You have a cover note, i assume it is on VRO headed paper, and is clearly signed by someone from there?

You should be alright so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭romperstomper

yes, its headed and signed by one of the staff there.
    so its normal for them to take the V5 when they do this? When do I get an 'irish' log book? Do they issue it or do I send away for it myself?

The VRT rate for the car is 16%. Are the extras charged at 16% of their value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

They'll take from you what they want - your V5, your pride, your money, your unborn children, YOUR DIGNITY!

Thats VRT for you!

i agree, but what will i be charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

75% of the value of the options fitted to the car when new!!!!!!!!
    Thats worst case scenario!!!

• Advertisement

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

75% of the value of the options fitted to the car when new!!!!!!!!
    Thats worst case scenario!!!

That would be the VRO valuation of the options. You'll be paying 16% of this value in VRT. So if €10k of options are on your car (when new), you'll be paying €1,200

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hey all,

tried to VRT my '08 520d today and the Santry office took my V5 (gave me a cover note for 10 days) and said they had to run it through the 'rosslare office to check for extras'. WTF is going on? TBH i'm more worried about the fact that they took my prrof of ownership rather than anything else!!

(thanks)

same thing happened to me today. What did you expect?

They take the V5 as you have started the process of reging it in Ireland and shouldn't need it to be selling it for example.

I was surprised that they photocopied it, then held on to it AND the original, but wasn't going to kick up a fuss.

They were a bit vague about how long it would take to come up with a figure for me also. I've calculated it myself but you never know with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

you cant sell it in Ireland until its reg'd and you now have a VRO proof of ownership for customs/gardai.

I'd go looking for the kids piggy bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Hey all,

(thanks)

Your name isn't on the V5, therefore it is not a proof of ownership, under any circumstances.

They take it when you pay your VRT anyway...

• Advertisement
Advertisement