Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is going to win the league?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

since when does 5*0=5?

you are absolutely right - we are infinitely better so.:D

*not mathematically correct either...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Careful now, actual facts may make some heads explode! What would Boggles make of those stats eh?

United have had less time to build those stats than Liverpool, and played more away games....:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

my point is we know Utd. Chelsea and even arsenal have been there and done it...they have they quality and bottle for the second half of the season from managers to some of the players to coaches to backroom staff...they are set up for it.(maybe Questions over Chelseas current regime) but watch this space...liverpool will not dissapoint and will fall away...because there are only so many Gerrard life lines a season and all the running in the world wont cover up the rest.
    So your argument is that because Utd, Chelsea etc.. have done it in the past, that they will do it ad-infinitum, because they have done it in the past. Liverpool can't do it, because they can't do it.

Very logical one, I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mormank wrote: »
    you wouldnt swap tevez for torres?? ok boggles, ok...

No chance. TBH if I had to pick a striker to join United from the PL it would be Adebayor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)
    United have had less time to build those stats than Liverpool, and played more away games....:P

lol

In any case the averages put to bed the myth of Liverpool as defensive orientated grinders and Utd as cartwheeling Brazilian entertainers.

Boggles wrote: »
    No chance. TBH if I had to pick a striker to join United from the PL it would be Adebayor.

Really?
    I would have taken Adebayor previously, but not now.

As for Torres over Tevez, I see where you are coming from. Would be much harder to have Torres in the squad than Tevez.

Really?
    I would have taken Adebayor previously, but not now.

Why? Because he is crazy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

Chelsea
    Hobart wrote: »
    So your argument is that because Utd, Chelsea etc.. have done it in the past, that they will do it ad-infinitum, because they have done it in the past. Liverpool can't do it, because they can't do it.

Very logical one, I have to say.

nope...

(and i do feel like im taking crazy pills)

my point is...and ill leave it at this...

ive seen liverpool playing ALOT this season...and they are not playing well...not to a champions standard and no where near. and while neither are any of their rivals...we all know that those rivals CAN and probably will improve .

we dont know liverpool can...and its been 20 years since they did and so far this season they have not shown anything more then hard work and a large "run of the green". they have not played like champions at all...(please see my mark of champions bit for my opinion on this) and have nothing to suggest they will suddenly go on a 10 match winning streak or anything like it!

so therefore...mr hobart...i believe im being quite logical...i dare say more logical then your good self.

Why? Because he is crazy?

I think his form has dipped over the last season. I don't think he is as good now as he has been, and i think this season he has been quite poor. Now, I accept his form could and probably is linked with the indifferent displays of Arsenal as a team, but I just don't think he is the same player he was about 12 months ago. Maybe he could regain his top form and his is still young so it more than possible, but I wouldn't take him over Tevez.

1. On current form I do not believe he would be a better player for us.
    2. He would not lessen the problem we have currently in keeping our forwards happy.

In his favour, he would offer a more direct option than anyone we have, but i'm just not sure he'd be worth it over Tevez right now.

but I wouldn't take him over Tevez.

Never said I would take him over Tevez, I would not swap the Argie for any player, he is unique in world football IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Aston Villa
    spockety wrote: »
    Because United have done this every year.

Ergo with 99.99% accuracy we can predict that United will continue to do this every year for infinity, winning the league at a canter as long as they are always within 10 points of the leaders at Christmas. Forever.

QED. SMA.

:pac: Best. Post. Ever.

It's a bit of Schrodingers cat situation really, inside the box Liverpool are both league champions and runners up, it's just we need someone to look into the box, make the observeration and find out whether they've won or not. Unfortunately Scousers are afraid, especially of science, so they won't look into the box until May, so unfortunately until then we are stuck in the reality where Liverpool are both EPL Champions and losers at the same time. Tragic stuff really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Chelsea
    If you think Liverpool were in any way fortuitous to beat United then you need your head examined.

This statement makes baby jesus cry.............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liverpool (Liverpool fans)
    oops, voted in the wrong option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea
    Meant to type 85 not 95 :) Darn poor hand-eye co-ordination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea
    Liverpool have also had a very tough fixture list, I think about 70% of tough away games they've had.

As for the Alonso Barry thing, I think most sensible people agreed over the summer that Alonso was always a better player than Barry, he just wasn't performing. Barry was going to be better than an average Alonso, but worse than an Alonso at full strength. Alonso is now playing close to full strength, which is better than Barry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ok, one more question.

What the hell do Liverpool have to do to be considered title challengers?

Beat United and Chelsea?
    Get a draw at the Emirates?
    Lose 1 game so far this season?
    Score 10 goals more away from home than "Freescoring" United have?

Melion wrote: »
    Ok, one more question.

Beat United and Chelsea?
    Most people do see them as challengers. But that doesn't mean they think they will be the ones to win it.

I do see liverpool as a challenger, but i think it is more likely that it will be either Chelsea or United to win the league.

Also, i don't think anyone is calling United 'freescoring' this season.

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)
    Ok, one more question.

Beat United and Chelsea?

Liverpool will not be considered legitimate contenders until they are four points clear with one game to play - and even then certain quarters will have their doubts. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)
    Ok, one more question.

Beat United and Chelsea?

Keep a challenge until the end of the season. Then next season they will be seen as title challengers throughout the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)

Build a massive lead on the chasing pack and have won the league considerably less than 19 seasons ago! Why do you care what other people think anyway? They are title challengers and surely they'll actually start playing well soon (I don't think they've been great, but they've got the results), but some people may consider United or Chelsea to have a better chance this season because the gap isn't that big and they have done it before much more recently!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ok, one more question.

Beat United and Chelsea?

Liverpool will never be considered title challengers.

In fact, even when the time comes when Liverpool do win the league they will not even be considered winners, rather Manchester United and Chelsea will be considered losers, and this is where the focus will be.

Santry Red wrote:
    Keep a challenge until the end of the season. Then next season they will be seen as title challengers throughout the season.

no they wont.

i promise you, if Liverpool won the league this year, they still would not be seen as challengers by some on this site such is the ****ing arrogance displayed at times.

Also i promise you that if Liverpool did win the league this year, it would be written off as a fluke.

Such is the level of **** behaviour displayed by certain types around here.

spockety wrote: »
    Liverpool will never be considered title challengers.

In fact, even when the time comes when Liverpool do win the league they will not even be considered winners, rather Manchester United and Chelsea will be considered losers, and this is where the focus will be.

Sad, but oh so very true.

If the unthinkable does happen in May and we do win it, the whole summer will consist of people saying that the only reason we won it was because United and Chelsea just didnt play well enough.

Aston Villa
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Liverpool will not be considered legitimate contenders until they are four points clear with one game to play - and even then certain quarters will have their doubts. ;)

Ya, those quarters being the lads who want 4 points for a win... :pac:

I actually want Liverpool to win this years league title, but I have a sneaky suspicion Chelsea will, even though they've been less impressive than Liverpool so far this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    Liverpool fans acting like the world is against them, when the fact remains that most teams will have people being bitter about them winning the league.

I remember last year there were loads of Ronaldo hate topics, trolling in the Man Utd topic that they only won the league cause of a pen not given etc I wasn't around when Chelsea won the league but presume there were swipes about them winning the league cause they bought it.

Yes people will be bitter towards Liverpool winning the league, and no doubt there will be posts on here that will reflect that, but there would also be posts of congratulations from opposition fans(such as myself)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Man Utd
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Full back.

Arbeloa - Average
    Insua - Potential but unproven
    Dossena - Shite
    Degan - Crocked
    Carragher - Not a full back anymore. Struggled to handle Ross Wallace at the weekend.
    Aurelio - Shite

Arbeloa has only really been in bad form this season... which he has had a few niggling injuries for. Remember his debut in the CL for us... he had Messi in his pocket and that would be a hard job. He is a good full back and still has a lot to learn.

Insua looks a really good prospect and I think the reason he is representing Argentina is to give him more big game experience so he will have learned alot more for when he is back.

Dossena has been very poor but he is learning in a new league so give him a bit of time!

Degan is the new Kewell!!

Carra can do a job out there and if he is there and Skrtel is playing inside him it would be solid enough.

Aurelio isn't the best full back in the world but has been decent for us when fit.
    eZe^ wrote: »
    Ya, those quarters being the lads who want 4 points for a win... :pac:

I actually want Liverpool to win this years league title, but I have a sneaky suspicion Chelsea will, even though they've been less impressive than Liverpool so far this season.

I hope that Liverpool win it this year, maybe Jan the 25th will tell us alot more about Pool (The £50 mill has to be paid back to the bank by then) and if D.I.C. buy them then the squad could still be strenghtened with 2-3 new players that should maintain our title push.

But in saying that I see it going down to the final day results between UTD,Chelsea and Pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Arsenal
    Sad, but oh so very true.

If the unthinkable does happen in May and we do win it, the whole summer will consist of people saying that the only reason we won it was because United and Chelsea just didnt play well enough.

Maybe they will just say that liverpool won the league without playing well. Other than the Newcastle game they sure havn't impressed me.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Arbeloa has only really been in bad form this season... which he has had a few niggling injuries for. Remember his debut in the CL for us... he had Messi in his pocket and that would be a hard job. He is a good full back and still has a lot to learn.

Insua looks a really good prospect and I think the reason he is representing Argentina is to give him more big game experience so he will have learned alot more for when he is back.

Dossena has been very poor but he is learning in a new league so give him a bit of time!

Degan is the new Kewell!!

Carra can do a job out there and if he is there and Skrtel is playing inside him it would be solid enough.

Aurelio isn't the best full back in the world but has been decent for us when fit.

I hope that Liverpool win it this year, maybe Jan the 25th will tell us alot more about Pool (The £50 mill has to be paid back to the bank by then) and if D.I.C. buy them then the squad could still be strenghtened with 2-3 new players that should maintain our title push.

But in saying that I see it going down to the final day results between UTD,Chelsea and Pool.

No chance of DIC buying them - they are struggling for funds themselves at the moment with the international property market not in great shake. Apparently they have asked the Abu Dhabi group for a serious amount of cash (and have offered their airline as a sweetner for the deal) so i don't see them spunking half a billion or more on Liverpool.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Liverpool fans acting like the world is against them, when the fact remains that most teams will have people being bitter about them winning the league.

I remember last year there were loads of Ronaldo hate topics, trolling in the Man Utd topic that they only won the league cause of a pen not given etc I wasn't around when Chelsea won the league but presume there were swipes about them winning the league cause they bought it.

Yes people will be bitter towards Liverpool winning the league, and no doubt there will be posts on here that will reflect that, but there would also be posts of congratulations from opposition fans(such as myself)

well i certainly wouldn't congratulate them. No point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Aston Villa
    Yeah liverpool are too defensive,the manager is holding them back and the chasing teams are poor,their keeper is prone to big mistakes.They will crumble.

Whats that you say,the keeper is the golden glove holder for two seasons,they have width now.The best defensive midfield in the league.The most leathal striker in the league is fit again,their most impressive defender is fit aswell.

Just you wait till United click into gear like they always do.What do you mean liverpool under Rafa are always better after Christmas and regarded as the fittest team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Aston Villa
    No chance of DIC buying them - they are struggling for funds themselves at the moment with the international property market not in great shake. Apparently they have asked the Abu Dhabi group for a serious amount of cash (and have offered their airline as a sweetner for the deal) so i don't see them spunking half a billion or more on Liverpool.
    DIC went out of the running for Liverpool a long time ago.The deal if it ever gets done will be a personal one by the ruler of Dubai,not by the incestment group.

raven136 wrote: »
    Yeah liverpool are too defensive,the manager is holding them back and the chasing teams are poor,their keeper is prone to big mistakes.They will crumble.

Whats that you say,the keeper is the golden glove holder for two seasons,they have width now.The best defensive midfield in the league.The most leathal striker in the league is fit again,their most impressive defender is fit aswell.

Just you wait till United click into gear like they always do.What do you mean liverpool under Rafa are always better after Christmas and regarded as the fittest team.

I smiled :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

,not by the incestment group.

:eek:

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    no they wont.

i promise you, if Liverpool won the league this year, they still would not be seen as challengers by some on this site such is the ****ing arrogance displayed at times.

Also i promise you that if Liverpool did win the league this year, it would be written off as a fluke.

Well I will. At the minute, I've no reason to believe Liverpool will win it because they've never even been close. That's the exact reason why I think United will take it ahead of them. If Liverpool do win it this year, I'll be the first to say well done because I've constantly written them off this season.

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    no they wont.

But Mr. Alan, if we win a couple of titles in the next five years what will you do without that large chip on your shoulder? I'd imagine your posture would become incredibly lopsided. :pac:

that hurts man

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Man Utd
    Do the 7% who voted Villa really think they are going to win?

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)
    Do the 7% who voted Villa really think they are going to win?

I'm more worried about the 1.71% who voted Arsenal...
    Don't know how any Gooners fan could see us winning the league this year...

• Advertisement

Aston Villa
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Well I will. At the minute, I've no reason to believe Liverpool will win it because they've never even been close.

I wonder did you say the same when Chelsea were in the same position 4 years ago? Somehow I really doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)
    As an Arsenal fan I can say I would like Liverpool to win the league (my brothers team). Like the other posters have said they are just marginally ahead (assuming Utd win their games in hand) of both Utd and Chelsea, who by their own standards have been poor and haven't clicked into gear (as yet). The onus is on Liverpool to maintain the lead. Looking at the fixtures Arsenal play Liverpool in the middle of April and play Chelsea and Utd in successive weeks in May and that will be huge turning point. Arsenal themselves have to rake as much points between now and then in order to secure fourth. I just don't see where Liverpool's goals are going to come from and with Utd and Chelsea well capable of outscoring them Liverpool could very well be off top before February and may find it very difficult to play catch up.

My prediction:

Man Utd
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal (with a good run together and some new signings)
    Aston Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Man Utd
    DenMan wrote: »
    I just don't see where Liverpool's goals are going to come from

Torres, Gerard. The odd one here and there from Kuyt, Keane, Alonso, Bable, Benayoun....They only need 18 goals to win the League from here.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)

DIC dropped out of the running a long long time ago at this stage..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Aston Villa
    Man U are seven points behind Liverpool, no? Games in hand are not points, they are merely possible points. This is how I see the final three

Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Man U

Yes, Man U will be better coming into spring, but so will Chelsea and Liverpool will recover some form. Just my opinion though, as someone with no vested interest in who wins.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Man Utd
    Torres, Gerard. The odd one here and there from Kuyt, Keane, Alonso, Bable, Benayoun....They only need 18 goals to win the League from here.:cool:

You forgot Riera and Hyypia and Agger, masch should get 1 a season.

Liverpool have scored 35 League Goals
    Chelsea have scored 40 League Goals
    Man Utd have scored 29 League Goals

Where will Liverpool get goals? Look how far behind we are, god we're a sham.

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)
    eZe^ wrote: »
    I wonder did you say the same when Chelsea were in the same position 4 years ago? Somehow I really doubt it.

I knew someone was going to say that but the year before they gave the title a good craic.

The most leathal striker in the league is fit again,

Joint leathal in the league unless Adebayor has písséd off somewhere?

Both players scored 24 goals the league last year.

Torres did it in 33 appearances, Adebayour did it in 36 appearances.

Fernando Torres, the premierships most lethal striker in 2007/2008. FACT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Man Utd (Man Utd fans)

No, just more lethal than Adebayor.

Advertisement