Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-alcoholic Beer that tastes nice??

• 05-01-2009 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Are there any nice non-alcoholic beers out there??
    I recently found out that im pregnant and want to know if there are any nice non-alcoholic beers out there... I have tried becks, but I think it tastes like gone off Heineken.

I tried one other german one, but it wasnt much better.
    So my question is, are there any non-alcoholic beers that taste ok, or am I wasting my time searching for one..

Im not a big drinker anyway, but have a craving for a bottle of beer and bag of cheese and onion tayto. Its just not the same with sparking water :mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I've tasted both Becks and Cobra NA and there horrible! Having said that though I've heard Eirdinger NA is actually nice, never tasted the stuff, but from the people I know who have, have good things to say about it :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,951 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

Thanks, Ill keep an eye out for them next time I go shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Erdinger non alcholic, it tastes like beer, real beer, not pretend beer.

I thought erdinger non alco tasted like mushrooms to be honest. I had a cold at the time though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

am i the only one that thinks non alcoholic erdinger tastes slightly soapy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

N/A Schneider Weisse is pretty good, better than Erdinger I think.
    As for Beck's and Cobra, if you chill them to near-frozen they become a bit more palatable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

As for Beck's and Cobra, if you chill them to near-frozen they become a bit more palatable...
    Can say the same for the alcoholic versions too. And BMCH etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

For a clean sharp tasting beer, I find Beck's non-alcoholic to be the best. It can be a little soapy, but doesn't as many weird tastes as other ones.

My overall favorite though is the Maisels Weiss non-alcoholic. I've only ever seen it in McHugh's off-licence though.

As with cheap beer or white wine (already mentioned here), sticking non-alcoholic beer in the freezer for 10-15 mins does make them more palateable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I think malt drinks you find in foreign supermarkets particularly African ones taste more like beer then no alcohol beer does. Something about removing alcohol makes beer taste nasty i think. But the malt drinks that never were fermented in the first place taste great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

cavedave wrote: »
    I think malt drinks you find in foreign supermarkets particularly African ones taste more like beer then no alcohol beer does. Something about removing alcohol makes beer taste nasty i think. But the malt drinks that never were fermented in the first place taste great.

Alcohol is an important flavor in beer, but you only need around 2% for it to come through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

at a family do in the bull and castle a few of the cousins were pregnant and had the baltika 0 which they all thought was really nice, i had a sip and i thought it was definitely better than other non-alco beers i'd had, not sure how readily available it is in offies though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭oconn

Schneider Weisse is pretty good, better than Erdinger I think.

agreed.....both better than paulener n/a....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I'd be another that would recommend Erdinger non alcoholic, I was able to buy some in Dunnes in Cornelscourt for around €2 a bottle. Judging from other people's posts, it's not their bag, but I find Beck's tastes like Alka Seltzer!

It is also worth noting that there is always a small percentage of alcohol in all these 'non-alcoholic' beers 0.5% usually. I know some friends in AA that are told to avoid these beers, A, because of the small alcohol content and B, just to break the habit altogether. Not suggesting you are in treatment, just throwing that fact in for information purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Met up with some mates recently and HAD to drive (long story) which meant necking 5 x draught Erdinger N/A in a pub in Donnybrook (or "de unleaded Erdinger" as the barman insisted on calling it) over the course of an evening

Apart from having to sit and watch my friends slowly start to absorb too much alcohol over the course of a night (jesus, people don't have change with alcohol on board especially when it comes to ****e-talk !), taste-wise it wasn't a bad night at all i.e. felt like I was drinking beer as distinct from some soapy concoction masquerading as beer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

On draught, Jaze, that would be great! I was in the Coach House in Ballinteer in early December and I drank the place dry of Erdinger N/A (4 bottles!!) and they haven't re-stocked since :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

The non-alcoholic Becks is the best imho; better than non-alcoholic Erdinger anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i thought the becks was grand.... not a fan of weiss beer so maybe thats why i dont like erdinger.... becks grand very gassy though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dereko1969 wrote: »
    at a family do in the bull and castle a few of the cousins were pregnant and had the baltika 0 which they all thought was really nice, i had a sip and i thought it was definitely better than other non-alco beers i'd had, not sure how readily available it is in offies though

I agree, for a non alcoholic lager type beer, nothing comes close to Baltika.

Schneiderweiss NA is a good wheat NA, as is Weihenstephaner, who also do a NA pils and even an isotonic NA, all of which are pretty good.

Becks is, imo, awful ****e!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

When I was 15 out in pubs on holiday with my family I used to think Kaliber was the dogs bollix - mind you it was 25 yrs ago :) never had the need to drink non acholic beer in years - if I'm out and driving I drink sprite and get really ratty and want everybody to go home early - so I can get drink when no more driving duty !

• Advertisement

anyone remember Mousey ?

First NA beer I remember!!
    Always wanted to try it but my folks wouldn't buy me one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

I agree, for a non alcoholic lager type beer, nothing comes close to Baltika.

Have to say I'm not impressed by Baltika N/A. To me it tastes incredibly sweet. Like a watery Coors Lite with a few tabs of artificial sweetener thrown in. Even freezing doesn't seem to mask the sweetness.

donaghs wrote: »
    Have to say I'm not impressed by Baltika N/A. To me it tastes incredibly sweet. Like a watery Coors Lite with a few tabs of artificial sweetener thrown in. Even freezing doesn't seem to mask the sweetness.

Maybe it's disimproved in the few years since I tasted it.
    Or else taste is a very subjective thing:)

Advertisement