Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what happens if you are caught at over 160kpk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

unkel wrote: »
    I don't think anywhere on the M50 is 120km/h is there? The upgraded stretches are 100km/h and the work in progress stretches are 60km/h but I am open to correction on this.

From just south of the Sandyford exit utnil the N11 is 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

From just south of the Sandyford exit utnil the N11 is 120.

See my earlier post acknowledging this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The local rag cover the courts in Kilcock, anyone caught doing 160kph or over has been brought to court and usually given either a driving ban or a large fine, sometimes both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

ninty9er wrote: »

I almost got banned by a particular mod for suggesting it was safe to exceed the speed limit.

Political correctness gone mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Somebody eluded to this earlier but the most dangerous part about driving quickly in Ireland is the shockingly poor ability of other drivers and the total unpredictability of their driving.

I almost piled into a lad the other day on the motorway who without looking shot out into the outside lane at about 80kph without looking, and as far as I could tell the only reason he was doing so was because he was approaching a junction ( with nothing on it )

160kph is not a dangerous speed on the continent where drivers have some modicum of ability and an inkling of understandiing as to what they are at - not so in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Somebody eluded to this earlier but the most dangerous part about driving quickly in Ireland is the shockingly poor ability of other drivers and the total unpredictability of their driving.

I almost piled into a lad the other day on the motorway who without looking shot out into the outside lane at about 80kph without looking, and as far as I could tell the only reason he was doing so was because he was approaching a junction ( with nothing on it )

160kph is not a dangerous speed on the continent where drivers have some modicum of ability and an inkling of understandiing as to what they are at - not so in Ireland

X2^

The amount of times i have seen people decide to overtake someone when I was just about to overtake them lately has been unreal. I'm expecting it to happen now whenever I approach a slower car :rolleyes:.

Does anyone look in their rear view mirrors anymore before changing lanes? Evidently not many from what Ive seen anyway :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

D_murph wrote: »
    X2^

Does anyone look in their rear view mirrors anymore before changing lanes? Evidently not many from what Ive seen anyway :mad:

Not forgetting the blind spot....nearly put someone off the M7 one day when they wer in my blind spot.:(

Happened once and won't happen again I can guarantee!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

eoin wrote: »
    I've not seen many cyclists or traffic lights on a motorway.

Its probably too dangerous to cycle on the motorway; thats why there are signs telling you not to.
    But then again, maybe it isnt inappropriate to do it at 4am.....rules are for other people and all that twaddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its probably too dangerous to cycle on the motorway

Probably???? :eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Its probably too dangerous to cycle on the motorway; thats why there are signs telling you not to.
    But then again, maybe it isnt inappropriate to do it at 4am.....rules are for other people and all that twaddle.

I was responding to the voice of Irish cyclists who posted just before me and was taking some comments out of context. This thread is primarily about motorway speeds, so talking about cyclists and traffic lights is not all that relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Its probably too dangerous illegal to cycle on the motorway......

fixed that for you ;) :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I have nothing against speeding when the road is good condition and open. Do it myself, But when you have people hitting 150kph and smallish 2 lane county roads with hollows and what not they deserve to get caught and to open their eyes.

Only ever did a max speed of 145kph on a dual at night. My car cant go faster lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

NedKelly wrote: »
    No i wasnt caught
    we were just discussing it in the pub last night
    a mate i know sells cars for a living and one of the new guys was
    heard boasting that he did 140mph in a DB9 in parkwest !
    we were just wondering if you got caught on the m50 at say 180 Kph
    what would happen ?

cant think of much road way to be doing 140mph(kph i assume) in parkwest with all those speed bumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

eoin wrote: »
    I was responding to the voice of Irish cyclists who posted just before me and was taking some comments out of context. This thread is primarily about motorway speeds, so talking about cyclists and traffic lights is not all that relevant.
    Being a car-driving, fully-lit, stop-on-amber traffic light cyclist, I probably don't deserve to be described as the 'voice of Irish cyclists'. I speak for myself.

Perhaps the point I was making was not clear, it's about double standards: Some here agree with breaking the speed limit law ("when safe to do so"), but, time and again, express outrage at cyclists who sneak through traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I was caught on the n11 (you know the nice stretch off the roundabout, it was friday) doing 180kph..undertaking a lane hogger (in a GTI :pac:) ..Got the Blue flashing lights, pulled over, switched off my engine, got out my licence, rolled down my window and apologised and was sent on my way. I got the "you took that in a bit of a hurry", but nothing more.

Wont be doing that again in a hurry, something you don't get away with twice.

I've always had great respect for the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

samhail wrote: »
    cant think of much road way to be doing 140mph(kph i assume) in parkwest with all those speed bumps

No it was 140 MPH not kph
    in a DB9 aston martin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I think in the Uk if you're caught driving over 100mph (160kph) you lose your licence.

Going by Traffic Cops programmes and the like in the UK, what I have seen is they'll pull you and ticket you for 70-90mph, anything over 90mph they report you which generall means a court appearance where they can throw the proverbial book at you if they want to.

Haven't seen an example of this on telly for a while now so the law may well have changed over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

If you were caught doing over 160kph say on m50 120kpz zone is it a year Ban ?
    or just points

I may or may not have been caught doing worse... and may or may not have received 4 points. 2 for speeding and 2 for driving without due care and attention.

Depending on the guard you could be arrested and bailed also, thankfully it didn't come to that.

I wouldn't say you could be as lucky with the M50 - when is it ever deserted, the road I was on was. Apart from the guard.

Speeding is bad kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

samhail wrote: »

The road that runs parallel to the main one from the gym up to Kylemore is the only one that comes to mind. Sadly I don't drive a DB9 but I needed to demonstrate a wind noise to a service manager at ~60mph and it was the only local traffic free stretch I could think of. With 170bhp I could only get to 60, hold for a couple of seconds and brake before I ran out of road.

I don't doubt there are more than a few differences between my car and a DB9 but even taking 3 or 4 seconds less to 60 (and onwards) and allowing for better brakes and grip, I still don't think the road is long enough.

Maybe we need a new thread to deal with the shocking probability that somebody in the motor trade told a porky :eek:

Interesting discussion otherwise, more so with The Nog's input.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He wasn't by any chance involved in that movie that used an unfinished Parkwest as a set, was he? ;)

edit: Accelerrator

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    He wasn't by any chance involved in that movie that used an unfinished Parkwest as a set, was he? ;)

edit: Accelerrator

Ah good aul whacker - "****in Deadly , I robbed at all buy meself"

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Going by Traffic Cops programmes and the like in the UK, what I have seen is they'll pull you and ticket you for 70-90mph, anything over 90mph they report you which generall means a court appearance where they can throw the proverbial book at you if they want to.

Haven't seen an example of this on telly for a while now so the law may well have changed over there.

Its actually 99mph..Seen them issue it a Doctor on d'telly.....Gospel according to Road Wars

milltown wrote: »
    The road that runs parallel to the main one from the gym up to Kylemore is the only one that comes to mind. Sadly I don't drive a DB9 but I needed to demonstrate a wind noise to a service manager at ~60mph and it was the only local traffic free stretch I could think of. With 170bhp I could only get to 60, hold for a couple of seconds and brake before I ran out of road.

I don't doubt there are more than a few differences between my car and a DB9 but even taking 3 or 4 seconds less to 60 (and onwards) and allowing for better brakes and grip, I still don't think the road is long enough.

your car is 170 Bhp
    a db9 is 470 Bhp

2008 model
    • Power: 350 kW (476 PS; 469 hp) @ 6000 rpm[4]
    • Torque: 600 N·m (443 lb·ft) @ 5000 rpm[4]
    • Weight: 1,760 kg (3,880 lb)[4]
    • 0-60 mph (0-97 km/h): 4.6 seconds[4]
    • 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 4.8 seconds[4]
    • Top Speed: 306 km/h (190 mph)[4]

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

TheNog wrote: »
    +1

Me thinks €690k will not buy a whole lot of units. Still its a step in the right direction

I agree TheNog. I await correction but I doubt that there is a database in existence that could support ANPR so when you consider the cost of the hardware then factor in how much IT consultancy will be required to get it up and running, its nothing.

Expect significant delays and cost over-runs.

The thing that gets on my t**'s is the fact that the DoJ and Gardai have been banging on about this since 2005 and recent press releases make the public assume that this will be rolled out any day soon. Bet on a photo op at HQ with a trial car kitted up very soon, and the above delays soon after that.

As I said previously, when APNR, GATSO etc appeared on UK roads the the cops disappeared soon after. Fact.

You may have gathered that the other thing that gets on my t**'s is the assumption that anyone speeding is a lunatic. Wrong. Drivers using inapproapriate speed are the guys we need to clamp down on. As ninty9er pointed out, there have been some balanced views here rather than the 'speed kills' crap thats usually trotted out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Perhaps the point I was making was not clear, it's about double standards: Some here agree with breaking the speed limit law ("when safe to do so"), but, time and again, express outrage at cyclists who sneak through traffic lights.

If you take a black and white view of it, then yes - you are dead correct. There are double standards.

If, however, you allow for different offences to be weighted a little, then there is a difference. For example; going through an amber light when it would have been safe to stop, and going through a red light that has been red for a while.

Same way I would see a difference between going at 200kmh and going at 130kmh on a motorway. Both are speeding, but I still see a difference there.

your car is 170 Bhp
    a db9 is 470 Bhp

2008 model
    • Power: 350 kW (476 PS; 469 hp) @ 6000 rpm[4]
    • Torque: 600 N·m (443 lb·ft) @ 5000 rpm[4]
    • Weight: 1,760 kg (3,880 lb)[4]
    • 0-60 mph (0-97 km/h): 4.6 seconds[4]
    • 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 4.8 seconds[4]
    • Top Speed: 306 km/h (190 mph)[4]

Thanks for setting me straight Ned. There was me thinking my car was almost the same as DB9 :rolleyes:

Was Wikipedia able to tell you how much road is required to get the Aston from 0 - 140 - 0 MPH by any chance? If you read again you might see that my point was about the only un-ramped road in PW being too short for such heroics/stupidity.

Ok from my college days correct me if im wrong
    using the Kinematic Equations

and given 100KPH is 27.1 m/s

0 to 100 kph
    given time of 4.5 seconfs
    so after 65.04 meters the DB9 is at 100 Kph

i dont know the 0-230 Kph times but the car can go from 0 to 100kph in 65 meters !!!
    sorry for being such a nerd !!!!!!
    Motion Example

Initial velocity =m/s, Final velocity =m/s moteq6a.gif Distance traveled x = m In this example, the items labeled on the diagram are considered primary: if one of them is changed, the others remain the same. The data in the boxes may be changed, and the calculation will be done when you click outside the box, subject to the constraints described. If the average velocity is directly changed, the final velocity is adjusted for consistency. If the acceleration or time is changed, then the distance is allowed to change. Distance x = m
    Initial velocity v0 = m/s
    Final velocity v = m/s
    Average velocity = m/s
    Acceleration a = m/s^2
    Time t = s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

johndoc wrote: »
    I agree TheNog. I await correction but I doubt that there is a database in existence that could support ANPR so when you consider the cost of the hardware then factor in how much IT consultancy will be required to get it up and running, its nothing.

Expect significant delays and cost over-runs.

The thing that gets on my t**'s is the fact that the DoJ and Gardai have been banging on about this since 2005 and recent press releases make the public assume that this will be rolled out any day soon. Bet on a photo op at HQ with a trial car kitted up very soon, and the above delays soon after that.

ANPR is already here and has been for the past couple of months. I have seen one traffic car fitted with it. From the front you can see the camera under/beside the rear mirror. From the rear the camera is fitted on the roof - kinda looks like a black box. From what I have heard there is a couple of kinks in it but that is to be expected and these are being worked out. Was told it is a brilliant system with multiple checks done every second (think 15 cars can be checked every second). Apparently 200 cars are to be fitted with ANPR.
    johndoc wrote: »
    As I said previously, when APNR, GATSO etc appeared on UK roads the the cops disappeared soon after. Fact.

Lets hope that doesnt happen. Checkpoints are still a very important part of policing.
    On a side didn't I thought UK Police could not do checkpoints cos they do not have the power to stop a vehicle unless they had a suspicion? Could be wrong though.

correct me if im wrong

:D LOL

Now I don't have your fancy book learning college education, but I have google and the ability to make sweeping assumptions.

So long as we both accept that this is moot, seeing as we don't actually know the length of the road in question. I don't know if you are familiar with it.

The Aston takes 4.5s to 100kph, very impressive. I haven't the time to grow a beard and figure out how you arrived at 65 metres but I'll take your word for it. It also sounds very impressive but obviously from here on it is accelerating more slowly and running out of road quicker. The Aston takes 12.9s to cover a 1/4mile (in the hands of a better driver than your average car salesman I'll wager) at a terminal speed of 112mph, or 180kph. ~400m of road now behind him. It takes 16.5s to get to 200kph, so another 3.6s yields an extra 20kph. See how the rate of acceleration is dropping?

To borrow your figures, he's still 25kph off the claimed speed and running out of road at a rate of 54.2m/s. If the car took another 4s to reach his magic speed (unlikely, given how the rate of acceleration is dropping) he'll be a further 216m down the road.

So by very rough calculations:
    After 400m (1/4mile) he's at 180kph covering 48.8m/s
    Another 3.6s then takes him at least 175.6m
    Now doing 200kph or 54.2m/s
    Another 4s has him at least a further 216.8m down the road.
    Now he might be doing 225kph(140mph) but he has covered more than 792.4 metres.

The acceleration curve is far from linear and I still don't think the road is long enough.

Now what were we talking about on page 1?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 krsrbk

once i did twice the speed limit on m1 in santry... then i realised that i passed a garda van :).. after 2 weeks i received a mail... was 119 on 60... and 80 euro ticket (the one with big photo), no points (??)

Advertisement