Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what happens if you are caught at over 160kpk

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

krsrbk wrote: »
    once i did twice the speed limit on m1 in santry... then i realised that i passed a garda van :).. after 2 weeks i received a mail... was 119 on 60... and 80 euro ticket (the one with big photo), no points (??)

The points are applied to your licence when payment is received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

milltown wrote: »
    :D LOL

Now I don't have your fancy book learning college education, but I have google and the ability to make sweeping assumptions.

So long as we both accept that this is moot, seeing as we don't actually know the length of the road in question. I don't know if you are familiar with it.

The Aston takes 4.5s to 100kph, very impressive. I haven't the time to grow a beard and figure out how you arrived at 65 metres but I'll take your word for it. It also sounds very impressive but obviously from here on it is accelerating more slowly and running out of road quicker. The Aston takes 12.9s to cover a 1/4mile (in the hands of a better driver than your average car salesman I'll wager) at a terminal speed of 112mph, or 180kph. ~400m of road now behind him. It takes 16.5s to get to 200kph, so another 3.6s yields an extra 20kph. See how the rate of acceleration is dropping?

To borrow your figures, he's still 25kph off the claimed speed and running out of road at a rate of 54.2m/s. If the car took another 4s to reach his magic speed (unlikely, given how the rate of acceleration is dropping) he'll be a further 216m down the road.

So by very rough calculations:
    After 400m (1/4mile) he's at 180kph covering 48.8m/s
    Another 3.6s then takes him at least 175.6m
    Now doing 200kph or 54.2m/s
    Another 4s has him at least a further 216.8m down the road.
    Now he might be doing 225kph(140mph) but he has covered more than 792.4 metres.

The acceleration curve is far from linear and I still don't think the road is long enough.

Now what were we talking about on page 1?
    #

hahah fair enough !!!!:D
    i had an hour to kill in work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

'Twas a slow day here too. As you might have guessed. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Once you pay the fine, you are basically admitting to the crime of speeding. Thing to do is appeal the fine and then appeal again, theres no way the garda in question is going to turn up twice, so it will be thrown out.

Advertisement