Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just bought 320D from North. Currency Q

Options
  • 05-01-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

I put a deposit down on Saturday for a lovely 320D. Raging I couldn't have transferred the money on Saturday when the rate online was 96 pence. Today it dropped to 92 :( :mad:

Does anyone have any idea which bank or which method will cost the least to get the money up to Northern Ireland. Their bank is Bank of Ireland, mine is Ulster bank.

Any profits willing to predict what pound / euro rates are going to do in the next couple of days? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Praetorian wrote: »
    Any profits willing to predict what pound / euro rates are going to do in the next couple of days? :D

You'd be better off looking for a prophet. They are harder to find (maybe not anymore seeing as we are in a recession) but are better talkers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

lol what a silly error of mine. Have to leave it there for everyone else so they can laugh at me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Praetorian wrote: »
    Have to leave it there for everyone else so they can laugh at me :)

Done and done:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

check out currency.ie - worked well for me. You register with them, get a quote for a transfer to sterling, call into your branch and do a funds transfer to their account, ring them once it's done, and they make the transfer into the sellers UK account. Can be done same day for a small fee. Rates are generally better than mainstream banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I predict the Euro getting weaker against the Sterling over the next couple of months and should return back to normal levels of around .85p per 1 Euro.

The reason why it went high there before Christmas is because there was a lot of betting on the movement of sterling based on the next sterling interest decision - they where betting on the rate being lower which would make the sterling weaker than the Euro.

As these guys cash in their bet at a high of .97p per Euro, there is a selling phrase where you see the Sterling getting slightly stronger.

In other words its like when the oil hit highs in July 08 and then dropped throught the floor, I believe something similiar will happen here as well.

Interpay is the format Bank of Ireland use to do FX transfers. Not sure what Ulster Bank use.

If the seller takes credit card then use that, but inform your credit card company of a large transaction on your card of they may not authorise it. You can lodge money into your credit card, I didnt realise this.

Alternative option is to get a sterling draft. Better rate for drafts than cash, ask for a quote on the two of them and see the difference yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

currency.ie are cheaper than using irish banks but compare anyway with your bank

Advertisement