Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nuts

• 05-01-2009 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I always hear people saying nuts are a healthy snack? so im wondering what nuts? I went to my local tesco and all i could see were salted nuts. Although I LOVE salted nuts i doubt their the nuts people are talking about??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

In my local Tesco, they keep the "healthy" unsalted nuts by the baking products.

Check there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

All nuts are good for you in one way or another.Almonds and walnuts are the most nutritious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Snickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

well im trying to lose weight so im wondering which nuts are ok when im trying to lose weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Nuts are a high calorie snack, so you need to watch portion sizes, though I was reading where they've done a study which found that in humans, all the calories in nuts don't get used up, so adding a handful of nuts to your diet seems to provide nutrition and satiety without adding weight.

Any nuts are good, but almonds are great from a nutritional viewpoint, and you can buy them easily and cheaply. As Mick said, the baking section of Tesco or Dunnes is where to look for the unsalted ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EileenG wrote: »
    though I was reading where they've done a study which found that in humans, all the calories in nuts don't get used up,
    Any links on this? I have read, and personally am certain, that the same is true of alcohol.

WW points are based around fat & calories, most nuts are over 50% fat, so if you are on the WW plan then you might be avoiding nuts completely which is a shame.

If you calculate on the "half fat estimate" then 100g of cashews I get have 15 points. Drinking 1.5 Litres of full sugar coke has the exact same calories as those nuts but only gives 9 points. If I wanted to lose weight I know which I would pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

They have a research section in Fitness RX magazine, I noticed it there, but didn't take the details of where they did the study. They did find you had to eat the whole nut, just taking the nut oil didn't have the same effect.

Oh, WW points is a joke. I calculated that 1500 cals worth of salmon and spinach, eggs and mushrooms, steak and broccoli and half an avocado, works out at far more points than the same number of calories of Frosties and skim milk, burger and fries, pasta with jar pasta pasta sauce and Jaffa cakes.

Role of cell walls in the bioaccessibility of lipids in almond seeds

Background: Certain nutrients and phytochemicals in almonds may confer protection against cardiovascular disease, but little is known about factors that influence their bioavailability. A crucial and relevant aspect is the amount of these dietary components available for absorption in the intestine, which is a concept referred to as bioaccessibility.
    Results: Cell walls were found to be rich in NSPs, particularly arabinose-rich polysaccharides, with a high concentration of phenolic compounds detected in the seed coat cell wall. During disruption of almond tissue by mechanical methods or chewing, only the first layer of cells at the fractured surface was ruptured and able to release lipid. In fecal samples collected from subjects consuming the almond diet, we observed intact cotyledonary cells, in which the cell walls encapsulated intracellular lipid. This lipid appeared susceptible to colonic fermentation once the cotyledonary cell walls were breached by bacterial degradation.

Conclusion: The cell walls of almond seeds reduce lipid bioaccessibility by hindering the release of lipid available for digestion.
    The lipid fraction of almonds constitutes the largest proportion of available energy in the seed. In people consuming a diet containing almonds, any fat that escapes digestion in the small intestine could represent an appreciable loss of energy.
    In conclusion, we have successfully identified almond seed tissue in fecal material collected from healthy subjects on an almond-rich diet. The main structures of almond tissue were found to be preserved after laboratory processing or even after chewing and digestion. In particular, the CWs were intact and hindered the release of intracellular lipid. Thus, an increase in fecal fat excretion after consumption of an almond-rich diet is primarily attributed to impairment of lipid bioaccessibility, as a result of an intact CW barrier.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/3/604

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭djsctt

H & B do a large bag of mixed whole nuts for somewhere around 10-12 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

EileenG wrote: »
    Nuts are a high calorie snack, so you need to watch portion sizes, though I was reading where they've done a study which found that in humans, all the calories in nuts don't get used up, so adding a handful of nuts to your diet seems to provide nutrition and satiety without adding weight.

If that is true, I'll love you for ever Eileen! :D

/me goes off to scoff the rest of the almonds from the press

• Advertisement

If that is true, I'll love you for ever Eileen! :D

Yes, it's true. Check the study I posted. Keep in mind you are also losing nutrients aswell so if you want to get the maximum amount of nutrients from your nuts, chew them well. :)

Advertisement