Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Happy Accident

• 05-01-2009 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭

Talk to me :)

What's your opinion of the happy accident in photography? The uncontrollable aspect that becomes an essential part of an image. Somebody walking into a frame last second, that somehow makes the image more 'whole', or the element you never saw/considered when pressing the shutter.

Any experience or opinions in it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I nearly deleted something that happened to me a while back and I am glad I didn't as I love it!!

Does that help?? :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ha! Did you mean to take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ah, but we're professionals (at least professional amateurs) - and there's no such thing as luck ? eh...... is there????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I've being happy worth some of my lucky accidents...
    If it adds to a picture I don't feel guilty keeping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

This is one of mine that had a happy accident. I quite like this photo for a few reasons but I think the flash coming from in front of the bride really completes the scene. Obviously a fluke.

fav_9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I don't know if it's counted as an accident but I took over 60 shots of the first dance at a wedding recently to try get something different. I wasn't entirely sure what I would get or if I would get anything worth keeping but I did get one shot I like. I was handholding at a slow shutter and zooming the lens while the shutter was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

I took this in Sorrento last summer. Taken on a ledge with aperture priority and self timer. Liked the image and used it as my wallpaper. It was only a week later that i noticed the branch on the right hand side. Could have kicked my self for not checking the viewfinder. I,m blaming the chianti!IMG_3898.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i think its an essential part of image capture.

As we are capturing moments in time that are never repeated, well not exactly repeated. sometimes that 'fluke' or happy accident is just part of that moment in time

I guess the luck bit, is if the fluke actually add to the image.

on the other hand if the fluke part IS the image, then thats about luck and not skill i guess.

BUT

every person in the world can take a good picture once, but to become proficient requires being able to repeat taking good pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

stcstc wrote: »
    every person in the world can take a good picture once, but to become proficient requires being able to repeat taking good pictures.

or repeated luck??????? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

All of my images are happy accidents.. :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

The happy accident can lead to a great shot. I've had a few such accidents when shooting on the street, but I guess it's not limited to that kind of work.

I love this one because the fella on the right walked along just as I was taking it (and the two other guys requested that I take their photo!).

496243400_1381b57add_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Took a good few over the wall and happy enough to get the flash behind her head
    2979537632_761a6ff1f1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I would probably go with this one.

I had wanted the swan looking at me, but it kept on turning away to preen itself, much to my frustration. When I got home and saw this photo, I loved it.

E4315CCE2F734F769F1F3D61B5686F78-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I think that the happy accidents pave my steps towards photography. Those images just pop out from album and makes me feel good about photography, my hobby and relaxation. And wanting to have more such lucky accidents, I am trying to learn and get closer to produce more of them.

And now, Fajitas, leave philosophy till you finish your homework! ;)

Bah. Spoilsport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ThOnda wrote: »
    And now, Fajitas, leave philosophy till you finish your homework! ;)

It's for his homework! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

This one for me a couple of years back when I decided to try out some street photography. Rather pleased with it. Total accident though.

Lend us a hand.
    1472828909_f61910c666.jpg

Dave OS

It's for his homework! :D

Naw, that chapter is pretty much written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    or repeated luck??????? :)

I wouldn't agree with that.

I think thats more or less impossible. To get a good image consistently (whatever the genre) is probably never repeated luck.

The above is for me a prime example of an image that could be easily achieved without any element of luck or manipulation (i.e. friend doing the needful). Positioning, planning, patience and a modicom of skill etc. There are many images that appear lucky that have no element of luck whatsoever, but a lot of skill and planning.

Love the shot oshead btw.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I quite like this one here:
    I was setting up for a boring landscape shot, and just as I pushed the shutter release a friend of mine jumped into the frame. Not quite an accident, I mean SHE had it planned...

490488371_d1afd96ccd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I don't think this has ever happened to me. Kinda wish it did happen tho,losing my creative ideas recently...even bought a notebook to keep in my pocket to take down ideas before I forget them hehe

I don't think this has ever happened to me. Kinda wish it did happen tho,losing my creative ideas recently...even bought a notebook to keep in my pocket to take down ideas before I forget them hehe
    I think taking down notes of your ideas will do more to restrict you chances of the happy accident than give you a broader spectrum of accidents to fall upon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

don't you have a thesis to do?

I thought ya had 3000 to go last night, ya not done yet?

2000 left.

Caffeine and lack of sleep brought on hallucinations.

I'm hoping for a happy accident.

Ah sure your conclusion is your intro, just cut and paste and hit the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fajitas! wrote: »
    2000 left.

Caffeine and lack of sleep brought on hallucinations.

I'm hoping for a happy accident.

hahaha, Caffeine overdosing. I remember that well. Hallucinations, heart palpitations, nausea ...

Tell me about it Daire!
    ...and hit the pub

I'm pretty sure combining so much coffee with alcohol would result in a less than happy accident...

• Advertisement

When's the deadline?

We'll say tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

:)

3175517420_8ed2c03158_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

What's your opinion of the happy accident in photography? The uncontrollable aspect that becomes an essential part of an image. Somebody walking into a frame last second, that somehow makes the image more 'whole', or the element you never saw/considered when pressing the shutter.

I detect the voice of Elven in this Al ;)

It's called serendipity and it's this that makes photography for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

hehehehehehehe :)

Happy accident for me is less about the compositional aspect or the time element and more finding how something works when it probably shouldn't. Most of the time with the holga lens it's a bit of a click and hope and that's what makes it fun. No *huge* surprises as such but i never know just how the light is going to behave through that thing.

I think it must be missing me though, I've been all macroey again. Must take it to work on friday....

elven wrote: »
    Most of the time with the holga lens it's a bit of a click and hope and that's what makes it fun. No *huge* surprises as such but i never know just how the light is going to behave through that thing.

There's the surprise :)

I said I'd have to do something to get her back posting here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I forgot to add the picture in question - my bad!!!

Camera around neck and saw this gal coming past. Pushed shutter with finger only so camera moved as well as it being a slightly slow shutter. As I said I was going to delete it but the decided against it at the time.

305120728_1724d6fbb4.jpg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Fajitas, you're talking about the best bit of my photography... :D

DeV.

Well, it's important that you enjoy it like, people are too quick to just call it an accident, it's happy for a reason :)

In other news... First draft = done. Ha.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sometimes i shoot a few without looking so i can be completely surprised when i get home. It's like i let the camera have a little secret life of its own and then look at its snaps that night!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

DeVore wrote: »
    Sometimes i shoot a few without looking so i can be completely surprised when i get home. It's like i let the camera have a little secret life of its own and then look at its snaps that night!

DeV.

I tried a sequence of light trail photos, using the Christmas tree:

http://photographedublin.blogspot.com/2009/01/light.html#links

It's useful if you focus on an object to get started and then just move the camera slowly, using very slow shutter speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Here's my happy accident. Neither he nor I realised that the empty cartridges were going to shoot out of the gun when he cocked it. I was surprised they were so clear though.
    gun.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Both of these photos were accidents.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/boards_ie/discuss/72157611170733117/

In the first case I was trying to line up the horizon properly and in the second I didn't notice that there was a person under the tree until later.

Oddly enough, they were the only two photos from years of snapping that were selected as being worthy of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

This was a happy accident when I photographed the Kills at Electric Picnic. I got some cool shots of them but this would not look as cool if I had not clicked the shutter at the exact same time as someone elses flash went off.

2824819181_f3db466961.jpg

Advertisement