Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Create a hard disk image and write to network share

• 05-01-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I'm looking for a live CD that will allow me to mount a network share, take an image of the windows partition, and write it to the network drive. The reason is that I've spent the better part of 2 days doing a clean install of windows XP and applications and I would prefer not to do it again if I can avoid it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

One comes to mind straight away but it ain't free: Acronis True Image. Have used it for what you describe and had no problems imaging to a NAS device and restoring from it.

CloneZilla is a very promising-looking open source alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

many thanks, will check those out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

There are plenty options out there, but you are going to find most of them slow (been using G4L and it is dog slow), lately I've been playing around with fedora live usb dd'ing and compressing on the fly and dumping on to a network share. Still pretty slow, probably be faster if you could avoid compression but who has that kind of a space to spare.

Ghost is faster for taking an XP image by about a mile.

Advertisement