Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

goat2 wrote: »
    and that is what he owed him, i love it,
    Yeah, that's one of those stories that has me asking, 'which of these guys is supposed to be the stingy one?'

It seems pretty stingy that your man expected the other guy to buy him a free dinner when he didn't seem terribly wealthy in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i picked potatoes for a local farmer when i was about 14. there was about 15 young lads and 2 auld lads as 'supervisors'. i arrived on the bike one morning and one of the auld lads had a fire on the go in the corner of the field. i stroll over to see what he's at and there, with a stick rammed up it's ass hanging over the fire is a fully skinned rabbit. the pelt was beside yer man on the ground. he'd found it on the side of the road, quite obviously after being hit by a car and decided he'd have it for lunch and save the sandwich's for the next day.

watching him slobbering and tearing at that rabbit at lunch time was one of the most traumatic moments of my entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Taylor21 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ryanairs-83641-pay-as-you-go-toilet-fee-takes-off-2126277.html

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/apr2010/gb20100414_134409.htm

http://www.skyscanner.net/news/articles/2010/04/005460-ryanair-to-implement-1-toilet-charge.html

There was loads that reported on it actually! It was first suggested in 09 and they got such a backlash that they binned it but then brought it back up so they seem to be determined to do it.

He says it's to change passenger behavior...eh no it's cause you're f*cking stingy!!!

P.s. Yeah it's only for short haul flights.

Taking the thread slight OT again, but Michael O Leary has since admitted the whole thing was a publicity stunt and was knocked around the board-room as a joke. He mentioned it at an unrelated press conference later that afternoon and the whole thing snowballed, while he just sat back and watched the whole thing unfold - was careful not to big it up, backtrack or mention it again for several days.

It was actually a publicity coup - bookings soared because they were in the papers/online blogs/forums/chat-shows etc. so much over the whole thing! Smart man that Mickey fella.

EDIT: Jesus christ, and I was worried about going OT?! after reading the last page of that ****e "DonQuay Vs Boards.ie" my post is very much so on topic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

My mam paid a builder who'd done the garden for her last week - adding in building supplies etc came to 1302 euro- she paid him cash in notes and had no change- yesterday he knocked into the house for the 2 euro. My mam is having a field day giving out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

etymon wrote: »
    My mam paid a builder who'd done the garden for her last week - adding in building supplies etc came to 1302 euro- she paid him cash in notes and had no change- yesterday he knocked into the house for the 2 euro. My mam is having a field day giving out about it.

She should have said that was for the cups of tea she made for him.

• Advertisement

Again, who is the mean one? The builder who came looking for what he was due, or your mother, who tried to stiff him for a measly two euros? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

She should have said that was for the cups of tea she made for him.

Sicken his hole - ask him for an itemised VAT receipt and mention that you'll be claiming it on expenses - then he'll have to declare it - all over a poxy €2.

(anyone who want to argue with me that the builder declared the €1300 cash in hand job can go and jump :))

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Meanest and stingiest thing I've ever seen was a multi billionaire give his daughter 200 dollars every two weeks whilst she lived in Ireland on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

Meanest and stingiest thing I've ever seen was a multi billionaire give his daughter 200 dollars every two weeks whilst she lived in Ireland on the dole.

Seems pretty generous to me. Maybe he didn't want his daughter being a leech and to get herself a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I remember actually, I was on the bus from Gatwick to Oxford, a 2 hour bus ride that costs £27 single. A man (Italian/Spanish) got on and handed him a £50 note. The bus driver told him he didn't take anything that large and asked him had he anything smaller. The man started counting up his change, which came to £26. Another foreigner had gotten on before so the bus driver asked the man did he know him. He said he didn't. Bus driver asked him to go and ask him for that other pound and wouldn't let him on until he had it. I was actually surprised by it because in Ireland we get away with that sort of stuff surprisingly often and if you were on a bus paying €27, and honestly didn't have the change then I would hope they'd still let you on. It's kindness

PS: I am fully aware that paying £27 for a 2 hour bus ride is ridiculous but that doesn't make me stingy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

A mate of mine drove his date (their first) to the cinema. He asked her to pay for the tickets because he paid for the petrol.

Needless to say he didn't get laid that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

gubbie wrote: »
    I remember actually, I was on the bus from Gatwick to Oxford, a 2 hour bus ride that costs £27 single. A man (Italian/Spanish) got on and handed him a £50 note. The bus driver told him he didn't take anything that large and asked him had he anything smaller. The man started counting up his change, which came to £26. Another foreigner had gotten on before so the bus driver asked the man did he know him. He said he didn't. Bus driver asked him to go and ask him for that other pound and wouldn't let him on until he had it. I was actually surprised by it because in Ireland we get away with that sort of stuff surprisingly often and if you were on a bus paying €27, and honestly didn't have the change then I would hope they'd still let you on. It's kindness

PS: I am fully aware that paying £27 for a 2 hour bus ride is ridiculous but that doesn't make me stingy :D

Not sure whats stingy here? the bus driver doesnt set the fares and maybe they would lose their job if they let someone away with a part of the fare anyway. How many one pounds would you think they would allow for before they realise its not worth their while going to work???
    They usually state exact change and I haven't heard of many being let off with even the odd bit of change short, let alone a pounds worth (€1.25)
    Not out of the ordinary to ask if he knew the other person, maybe a bit to ask them to get the other pound off anyone.
    Nothing stingy in what the driver did at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

More of a rip-off than stingy. I had to change a bulb in my stairwell but the bulb was about 15foot high. I put a notice on a handyman site looking for quotes and a few days later got one back from a guy to say he'd change it for me for 50e.

I took great delight in telling him I asked a lad working on a building site very close by to do it for me. He brought an extended ladder up and did it for me in all of 2minutes.

And yes, of course I put out ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

More of a rip-off than stingy. I had to change a bulb in my stairwell but the bulb was about 15foot high. I put a notice on a handyman site looking for quotes and a few days later got one back from a guy to say he'd change it for me for 50e.

I took great delight in telling him I asked a lad working on a building site very close by to do it for me. He brought an extended ladder up and did it for me in all of 2minutes.

well if that bulb goes my number is 08......
    ;)
    €50 is fairly steep alright

Am I right so in saying that you had sex with a man for >50 euros? You're undercutting the competition in the back streets of Dublin at that rate! ;):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Not sure I follow here. You put up an ad on a handyman website looking for someone to change a bulb?:confused:

Meanwhile you got a youngfella to do it?

So some dude replies to your ad (messing I presume), quoting you a joke price because he thought your ad was a joke ad?

Is that it? And what did you "put out"? Was there a fire or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

He extended up and did it for me in all of 2minutes.

FYP and I cudda done it in 30 seconds flat.

I put the ad on a serious site that gets quotes for handymen and emails you back. I heard nothing for two days, so asked a young lad nearby to do it for me and he did it in a matter of minutes.

I didn't realise I had got a reply to my ad until I received a phone call the next day from some guy saying he would put it up for me for 50e.

I was joking about putting out!!!:rolleyes: Like I'd actually admit to that (if it were true ;))

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, I supplied the new bulb :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere... how many sunflower27s does it take to change a light bulb? :)

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere... how many sunflower27s does it take to change a light bulb? :)

:D

None. I just sat back and admired the view :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I deleted about 20 or so posts of bitching and moaning and replying to bitching and moaning that happened in the early hours.
    And I banned that donquay1 guy for being a dick. Lets please try and keep the bad attitude outta the thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

latenia wrote: »

And how long would it have taken you to change the bulb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Am I right so in saying that you had sex with a man for >50 euros? You're undercutting the competition in the back streets of Dublin at that rate! ;):)
    Expert in the pricing of that area are ya?;)
    latenia wrote: »
    Superman fast....
    Superman was flying around Metropolis looking for trouble when he spotted Wonder Woman apparently sunbathing nude on top of a building.
    "Well," he thought to himself, "I’m so fast I bet I could fly down there and nail her before she even knew what hit her." So he undid his yellow belt, lowered his red shorts, flew down, did his thing and soared off into the Metropolitan sky. Wonder Woman lay stunned. "What was that?" she asked,
    "I don’t know," groaned the Invisible Man, "but my ass sure is sore now."
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,218 ✭✭✭✭Esel

watching him slobbering and tearing at that rabbit at lunch time was one of the most traumatic moments of my entire life.
    Because you were starving, or because you don't get out much?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

gubbie wrote: »
    I remember actually, I was on the bus from Gatwick to Oxford, a 2 hour bus ride that costs £27 single. A man (Italian/Spanish) got on and handed him a £50 note. The bus driver told him he didn't take anything that large and asked him had he anything smaller.

Thats ridiculous. If the ticket cost a fiver or something I can understand why the driver didn't want to take the 50 cos it would use up all his change but the ticket cost nearly 30 quid! That like going into a shop and looking to pay for a €6 magazine with a tenner and being told they couldn't accept it!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

Just yesterday I was with my 3 kids, struggling to get a jammed trolley from outside Dunnes, to do my shopping.

A rather well to do looking middle aged lady was returning hers, and asked me if I wanted it. I duly gave her 1 euro and off she went.

When I returned the trolley, it turns out that she had used a 20 cent coin!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This morning I filled the car with diesel at a petrol station I haven't used before. I put €40.01 in. At this point I should probably admit I have a thing about filling it exactly to end in .00 - OCD related I'm sure - but this morning I overran to the tune of 1cent. I always keep change in the car for parking etc. so I searched amongst the coins and found a 2cent coin. I handed over €40.02 to the attendant who promptly announced that he would keep the extra cent for all those people who don't pay the cent that they over-run! I asked for my change and he asked me was I serious. I responded that I was and he tutted and gave it back to me, upon which I put it in the poor box. I thought he was about to explode when I did that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

This morning I filled the car with diesel at a petrol station I haven't used before. I put €40.01 in. At this point I should probably admit I have a thing about filling it exactly to end in .00 - OCD related I'm sure - but this morning I overran to the tune of 1cent. I always keep change in the car for parking etc. so I searched amongst the coins and found a 2cent coin. I handed over €40.02 to the attendant who promptly announced that he would keep the extra cent for all those people who don't pay the cent that they over-run! I asked for my change and he asked me was I serious. I responded that I was and he tutted and gave it back to me, upon which I put it in the poor box. I thought he was about to explode when I did that!

you legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I didn't realise I had got a reply to my ad until I received a phone call the next day from some guy saying he would put it up for me for 50e.

And he wanted you to wait in for him all day Tuesday and then he'd never show up? :D

In fairness to the man, by the time he transported himself and his ladder there and back and you factor in a bit of labour, it was probably costing him a few quid, but 50? 20 would be steep. I wouldn't say it was a joke quote but he probably wasn't too bothered if you accepted. If you said yes, it was a handy few bob for him. If you said no, he needn't bother his arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

On a slightly related note, I think it's much better to put a certain number of litres in rather than a certain number of euro's worth. That way:

1. I know how far I'll be able to drive before filling up again where filling to the euro means the distance gets shorter every time the price goes up. I know now that 40 litres gets me about 420-430 miles.
    2. I can see exactly the mileage the car is getting if I take a note of the odometer each time the fuel light comes on and then fill up a fixed amount.
    3. I can keep a track of which stations are the cheapest over time because I always buy it on my credit card and can go back through the transactions. Because the amount of litres is always fixed I can work out how much it was per litre.

The only benefit to filling up to the euro is if you're paying cash you don't have to fumble for change but since I'm buying it on the credit card it makes no difference.

<<
    >>
    Am I a stinge? :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement