Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

But people do that anyway they just calculate by euro? Pretty standard to hear people say "20e will get me to x", or "I got Xl in the local service station for a tenner but only Y down the road", It's like kilometres and miles, both are right but only one is standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

today I am proud to say I purchased a tweezers in Boots for 2.59... and used my student card for 10% discount ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

I hate when couples get one round between them grrrr drives me nuts

I was hanging out with a friend when my sisters boyfriend came along we included him in the ''round'' he never bought us a drink back but would get up in-between to buy himself a drink!!

Once he even sent my sister back to Tesco for short changing him 10cent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

nicechick! wrote: »

I was hanging out with a friend when my sisters boyfriend came along we included him in the ''round'' he never bought us a drink back but would get up in-between to buy himself a drink!!

A fella like that used to drink with me and my mates, used to always magically disappear when it got near his round

One night he scarpered out for a fag when it was his round, 4 of us followed him out, picked him up, turned him upside down and shook him till his wallet fell out of his pocket, one of the group then went in and paid for the round with his money.

The tight arse never came drinking with us again :D

A fella like that used to drink with me and my mates, used to always magically disappear when it got near his round

One night he scarpered out for a fag when it was his round, 4 of us followed him out, picked him up, turned him upside down and shook him till his wallet fell out of his pocket, one of the group then went in and paid for the round with his money.

The tight arse never came drinking with us again :D

h ahahhahah I love it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

But people do that anyway they just calculate by euro? Pretty standard to hear people say "20e will get me to x", or "I got Xl in the local service station for a tenner but only Y down the road", It's like kilometres and miles, both are right but only one is standard.

No its only the same as long as the price is the same. 40 litres today will cost about €60 whereas the same 40 litres in 6 months time might be an awful lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

No its only the same as long as the price is the same. 40 litres today will cost about €60 whereas the same 40 litres in 6 months time might be an awful lot more

u can always use the little fuel gauge on the dash to tell when you need to get fuel. it even has a light for when you are running low.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

nicechick! wrote: »

Once he even sent my sister back to Tesco for short changing him 10cent!

And she went???
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Cork Lass wrote: »
    And she went???

Of course, if she had a black eye everyone would know he had to tell her twice

garv123 wrote: »
    u can always use the little fuel gauge on the dash to tell when you need to get fuel. it even has a light for when you are running low.:rolleyes:

Yep thats what I do too. Drive til empty. Fill to the gills. Drive til empty and so on. I was answering a different post there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

bigneacy wrote: »
    the €1300 cash in hand job
    Wow, prostitution has become expensive!

Cork Lass wrote: »
    And she went???

yes! madness I say that said he is a good person and we've grown to love the eejit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Seen a woman filling her handbag with sachets of ketchup and mayo in a cafe one time,i also know a guy who's a renowned tight-arse that ordered in a pay-per-view fight,invited everyone over to watch it and then charged them to come in:eek:

Why is that stingy? Sure isn't that exactly what the TV company is doing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

komodosp wrote: »
    Why is that stingy? Sure isn't that exactly what the TV company is doing?

No, it isn't. The TV company is offering a product for sale. You dont have to buy it, and if you happen to see it serendipitously, its your good luck. This fella actually INVITED people around to his place - that means that he wanted to share their company, and out of the generousity of his heart, he asked them to come and spend some time with him - but then he tried to charge them for a product they didnt ask for, just because HE wanted to see it without paying:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

newmug wrote: »
    No, it isn't. The TV company is offering a product for sale. You dont have to buy it, and if you happen to see it serendipitously, its your good luck. This fella actually INVITED people around to his place - that means that he wanted to share their company, and out of the generousity of his heart, he asked them to come and spend some time with him - but then he tried to charge them for a product they didnt ask for, just because HE wanted to see it without paying:mad:

i think what your mate did was fair enough

couldn't see a problem with this if one of my friends did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

metalfest wrote: »
    i think what your mate did was fair enough

couldn't see a problem with this if one of my friends did it!
    I agree, as long as everyone knew in advance I don't see what's so wrong with it. Sure throwing a fiver into a pot to see a match with your mates beats playing full whack just for yourself at home. Granted charging everyone isn't very generous, but if people knew in advance then you can't really complain.

kylith wrote: »
    I agree, as long as everyone knew in advance I don't see what's so wrong with it. Sure throwing a fiver into a pot to see a match with your mates beats playing full whack just for yourself at home. Granted charging everyone isn't very generous, but if people knew in advance then you can't really complain.

exactly, as long as they knew they'd be watching the match it's grand, but I'd have an issue if I turned up somewhere and they demanded money to see something i hadn't known we'd be watching, if you follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

metalfest wrote: »
    exactly, as long as they knew they'd be watching the match it's grand, but I'd have an issue if I turned up somewhere and they demanded money to see something i hadn't known we'd be watching, if you follow
    You mean, if he gave you a call and said "Hey MF, do you fancy paying a fiver to watch a boxing match (or whatever) at my gaff on Saturday?" that would be fine? I agree, but I can't imagine anyone I know ever actually saying that.

You mean, if he gave you a call and said "Hey MF, do you fancy paying a fiver to watch a boxing match (or whatever) at my gaff on Saturday?" that would be fine? I agree, but I can't imagine anyone I know ever actually saying that.

na, if someone rang saying, lads coming over, beer, ppv match , then why wouldnt you be willing to throw a few quid in his direction when you got there ?
    cheaper than a night in the pub watching the same match..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

If someone pays a few quid for a ppv and has a party they'd more than likely make a profit by charging people in.
    Inviting people to something and then asking to be paid when they show up is incredibly stingey.....

If someone asked me to help pay for the ppv and come over that'd be one thing, to invite me along and then expect me to pay is another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I agree he was being either stingy or too much of a cute hoor.

We have a mate who has ppv, usually 10-12 of us show up a few times a year for a big boxing match on Sky or whatever, its around a fiver in the pot, the excess goes on Pizza, everyone brings a few beers or snacks and a good night is generally guaranteed, no profits made.

There have been one or two who tried to "stinge" their way through the evening, just bringing two cans and "forgetting to bring the fiver" but after a couple of goes of that they weren't invited. Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056333425

See the first post in this thread

"I just signed up for carsharing.ie as I drive across the country a lot. The thing is, I'm wondering what are the correct costs to share. The website only mentions fuel, tolls and parking. These are not the only costs of a journey. I drive a cheapish diesel car and have worked out the costs per km before. Taking insurance (600pa), tax (580pa), repairs, maintenance and depreciation into account. It's about 19 cent/km when I drive 48000 km (30,000 miles) a year. This is a low enough cost per km as I have a fairly efficient cheap car. Allowing for just fuel, the cost per km is only 10c/km.

Should one only expect to
    share all costs as above
    share only fuel/toll/parking costs
    not expect anything as pleasent company is enough"

Expecting someone else to help him/her pay their insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mytwocents

Mont wrote: »
    Anyone notice that the meanest people are the rich ones - i have a mate whose family is loaded and the guy is the stingiest in the world - he would pick up 2c if he saw it on the street, always shops in the Somalia shop and is so proud when he picks up a top for under a tenner. One of the lads went shopping with him in Dunnes and he picked up a load of stuff but was too mean to pay the 22c for a bag so the 2 of them practically carried 15 items each for a half a mile

Yeah but in all fairness, that's probably why his family is wealthy, cause they all watch the pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

four friends sharing a big platter in the pub, three of us split because someone sits there eats and doesnt throw in feckin three euro

This person whos on a lot more money than me.

Many social etiquette unspoken rules annoy me, but

if you don't want to pay for the round don't take the pint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

The value of the euro is not stagnant either by the way...

Truth of the matter is, it does not matter either way, people who calculate by euro will be saying 40 litres today will cost about €60 whereas the same €60 in 6 months time might buy an awful lot less, it's perception, neither is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hate been accused of stinge by others. I was drinking with mates at the weekend when a fella dressed up as Elvis came into the bar selling scratchcards for a local charity. I bought one for 3euro and continued chatting with the lads. After 10 mins or so Elvis comes back and tries to flog us more tickets. The lads obliged but I who wasn't in great humour snapped and told him to GTFO.

The lads all said I should have bought another as it was only 3 quid and for a good cause. Now I respect that but I had already supported his charity by buying the first card. Financially things are very ropey for me at the moment and I just can't afford to be forking out to a charity twice in the same night.

I hate been accused of stinge by others. I was drinking with mates at the weekend when a fella dressed up as Elvis came into the bar selling scratchcards for a local charity. I bought one for 3euro and continued chatting with the lads. After 10 mins or so Elvis comes back and tries to flog us more tickets. The lads obliged but I who wasn't in great humour snapped and told him to GTFO.

The lads all said I should have bought another as it was only 3 quid and for a good cause. Now I respect that but I had already supported his charity by buying the first card. Financially things are very ropey for me at the moment and I just can't afford to be forking out to a charity twice in the same night.

All depends on how you said it. Definitely don't think you should be expected to buy a second one so if you told Elvis you had one already then there shouldn't be a problem. However if you did actually tell him to GTFO then they were right to give you some stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Those cards are dubious, next to nothing goes to charity from some of them.

And he had a serious cheek coming back a second time,

you should have told Elvis to leave the building :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 froglet

this is kind of stingey.
    when a flatmate/friend borrows food or you buy/give them a certain brand of something and they are to replace it, but replace it with shop brand product.
    Like they take your 6 hieno cans and bring you back 6 dutch gold as a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 seeyounextweek

have a friend that hounded me to pay back 2 euro before. i was in waterford for the week and he texted me every 2 days till i got back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement