Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HITC

il tell you all about stinginess i was living with my aunt and uncle after my mother died for maybe ten years, and i don't know how much it is but she they where getting a fostering allowance for me as i was not there child which never went on getting me new cloths etc, i never got a penny from them my uncle was making around a grand a week in his job and my aunt on top of that was claiming invalidity payments, i wasn't allowed claim the social welfare payments and i was told to get up at 7am every morning to look for a job which i did but to no avail, my granddad god rest him gave me 15 euro a week from his pension which i spent on myself reasonably but if it was someones birthday in the house i was called mean for not getting a present out of my 15 measly euro like wtf ? oh on 1 rare occasion my aunt gave me 100 but told me the next day to go the credit union and withdraw 350 euro as she was "broke" may i add that 350 was left from 1000 my late mother left me which i also never seen a penny of, i often went to school smelling because i wasn't allowed shower because apparently it makes the esb bill go up a euro or two, I eventually left and now i am homeless but better than living with those shower of b4stards sorry to rant just wanted to vent

Oh and i just remembered they constantly went on foreign holidays leaving me with my sister who was a single mother attending college and didn't even offer her so much as a euro for keeping me,feeding me, the electricity i used, smokes she gave me which i realize is a personal indulgence and shouldn't be paid for by others but still the point stands they where a pair of miserable cvunts

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

froglet wrote: »
    this is kind of stingey.
    when a flatmate/friend borrows food or you buy/give them a certain brand of something and they are to replace it, but replace it with shop brand product.
    Like they take your 6 hieno cans and bring you back 6 dutch gold as a replacement.

That's terrible, just cause it's Dutch Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

HITC wrote: »
    il tell you all about stinginess i was living with my aunt and uncle after my mother died for maybe ten years, and i don't know how much it is but she they where getting a fostering allowance for me as i was not there child which never went on getting me new cloths etc, i never got a penny from them my uncle was making around a grand a week in his job and my aunt on top of that was claiming invalidity payments, i wasn't allowed claim the social welfare payments and i was told to get up at 7am every morning to look for a job which i did but to no avail, my granddad god rest him gave me 15 euro a week from his pension which i spent on myself reasonably but if it was someones birthday in the house i was called mean for not getting a present out of my 15 measly euro like wtf ? oh on 1 rare occasion my aunt gave me 100 but told me the next day to go the credit union and withdraw 350 euro as she was "broke" may i add that 350 was left from 1000 my late mother left me which i also never seen a penny of, i often went to school smelling because i wasn't allowed shower because apparently it makes the esb bill go up a euro or two, I eventually left and now i am homeless but better than living with those shower of b4stards sorry to rant just wanted to vent
    Oh and i just remembered they constantly went on foreign holidays leaving me with my sister who was a single mother attending college and didn't even offer her so much as a euro for keeping me,feeding me, the electricity i used, smokes she gave me which i realize is a personal indulgence and shouldn't be paid for by others but still the point stands they where a pair of miserable cvunts

Jesus christ if that really is true id have to say that tops them all close the thread now. Thats just shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Went into Dunnes today, there was a young lad outside collecting for the "Lung Society of Ireland"

I ignored him, but thought to myself, hmm I've never heard of that..

Half an hour later I saw him being carted off in a Paddywagon, the lil bastard was a fake.

• Advertisement

@ luvs bulmers every word is true man there some nackers

haha where was the little bastard collecting like what dunnes ?

Killarney...

jesus did it look like he had much from collecting ?

Couldn't tell, he had it all in a bucket with a lid.. I'd imagine not to be honest, he had the scumbag-ish look about him. But you'd never know I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sheltic

I hang my teabags out on the line after i've had a cup...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Very recently, I was getting petrol and when I had paid and gotten into the car, I see this woman walking suspiciously towards the public bin with a massive bag of household rubbish. She then stuffs the bag in as quickly and discreetly as possible and then turns around, see's how I saw everything and makes a run for her car and goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Very recently, I was getting petrol and when I had paid and gotten into the car, I see this woman walking suspiciously towards the public bin with a massive bag of household rubbish. She then stuffs the bag in as quickly and discreetly as possible and then turns around, see's how I saw everything and makes a run for her car and goes.

She's doing it wrong. You split your rubbish into smaller bags, and deposit at separate locations, so as not to arouse suspicion!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I hate been accused of stinge by others. I was drinking with mates at the weekend when a fella dressed up as Elvis came into the bar selling scratchcards for a local charity. I bought one for 3euro and continued chatting with the lads.
    If Elvis is on comission then give to the charity directly instead.

It's a shame that so much money given to charity never even gets past the chuggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

If Elvis is on comission then give to the charity directly instead.

It's a shame that so much money given to charity never even gets past the chuggers.

Damn right. At worst, you can buy those scratch cards from a company in China for about a euro a card. You just tell them what you want written on it and they'll make them up for you. At best the charity is wasting money by having them printed and offering non-donated, cash prizes. If I'm only giving a few euro all I want in return is maybe one of those stickers so you don't get harrassed by every collector you run into.

Although my local is decent. Every collector who is let in is known by the owner of the bar, he knows the charity is actually who they say they are and aren't scamming people, and there are defintely no chuggers getting in. It's rare that you see collectors but when they do come in no-one is bothered because it's almost like you're donating to the pub's own charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

When I fill the petrol - I always shake the pump before I take it out, looking like I'm trying to get the last drop and I always feel really mean doing it.

However, the only reason I do it is that I don't spill any on myself when I whip it out of the tank.

Much like, if I had a penis, obviously I'd shake it too before zipping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

You poor thing that's horrible. But your mum would be looking at you now thinking make something of yourself son!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TheNardDawg

I once shared a house with two lads from work. One of them was the tightest, sneakiest f*cker I've ever met. We each had a different bill in our name which would come out of our accounts via direct debit...so when any of the bills came that weren't in his name he'd hide them, hoping we wouldn't notice the DD coming out of our accounts and he wouldn't have to pay his share :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

When I fill the petrol - I always shake the pump before I take it out, looking like I'm trying to get the last drop and I always feel really mean doing it.

However, the only reason I do it is that I don't spill any on myself when I whip it out of the tank.

Much like, if I had a penis, obviously I'd shake it too before zipping up.

Oh I do that too, but it's because I'm stingy frugal and petrol is expensive enough I want to get every last drop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Buceph wrote: »
    Damn right. At worst, you can buy those scratch cards from a company in China for about a euro a card. You just tell them what you want written on it and they'll make them up for you. At best the charity is wasting money by having them printed and offering non-donated, cash prizes. If I'm only giving a few euro all I want in return is maybe one of those stickers so you don't get harrassed by every collector you run into.

Although my local is decent. Every collector who is let in is known by the owner of the bar, he knows the charity is actually who they say they are and aren't scamming people, and there are defintely no chuggers getting in. It's rare that you see collectors but when they do come in no-one is bothered because it's almost like you're donating to the pub's own charity.

Personally, I don’t give money to people who collect in pubs, I don’t give money to people who collect in the street and I don’t give money to people who call around to my house.
    I’ve a couple of charities that I contribute towards and if someone is doing something for charity in work I’ll sponsor them – but I’m not giving out money to randomers when I’ve no idea where the money is actually going.
    People should be a bit more choosy about their charitable contributions – it’s not scabby, it’s just sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

have a friend that hounded me to pay back 2 euro before. i was in waterford for the week and he texted me every 2 days till i got back
    i hope you gave it all back in one cent pieces, that would do him good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Went into Dunnes today, there was a young lad outside collecting for the "Lung Society of Ireland"

Half an hour later I saw him being carted off in a Paddywagon, the lil bastard was a fake.
    i guess he was out of work, he needed food to keep breathing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

goat2 wrote: »
    i hope you gave it all back in one cent pieces, that would do him good

Maybe he was really broke, and you were too tight to give him two euro back, I often found people looking to borrow money had already spent theirs in the bookies and the pub, they look down on you with disdain if you're uninclined to loan them anything, they're never in a hurry to pay you back either (if at all) same sort that scab smokes off people (even those they dont know). they think nothing of paying you back.
    I'm not sure he's the stingy one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

They're in Galway all the time. Their little stands look fake as feck too, sometimes the stuff on their bib doesn't even match the charity they have posted on their stand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Oh I do that too, but it's because I'm stingy frugal and petrol is expensive enough I want to get every last drop!

I also do this. I found (by accident) that if you go to a pump on the wrong side of the car you have to stretch out the hose more and you get all the little dribbles stuck in it from the last person! Yes its bloody stingy but petrol is only getting more expensive and there's a difference between this and picking pennies up off a manky pavement for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Brian.Clowen

I like to go into the bar in the dail and put all my drinks on the slate for the taxpayer to pick up.

A lot of good tips here in this thread that I will be using. I want to keep my pockets bulging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Yes, the difference is that nobody notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Splinter

My predecessor, my husband's ex-girlfriend, moved out and took the change jar that she, he, and his two kids aged 5 and 8 put their pocket change in. Did I mention she had a million dollar trust fund in the bank she was constantly bragging to them about?
    yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Redonblonde

Im one of those people who pick up pennies off the street...but it's cus my mum used to do it for luck, old habit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

goat2 wrote: »
    i guess he was out of work, he needed food to keep breathing

Most people on the dole manage to feed themselves without resorting to fraud, no excuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement